Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Pensioner Retirement UK v Philippines

Pensioner Retirement UK v Philippines

Old Jan 30th 2019, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pensioner Retirement UK v Philippines

Originally Posted by salgoud
Hi All,
I'm in a quandary, been researching retirement possibilities with visits and various forum opinions. I'm about to retire in May this year.

Here in the UK I will receive a net income of about £1200 a month, my rent (housing association) and Council tax amounts to abort £510 a month.

Which country would provide me with the best standard of living? disregard health costs, I have a nest egg for that and an emergency get back to UK plan.

Thanks
Your emergency get back to UK plan will not help you very much once you live overseas as an expat, assuming that you intend to use NHS.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...ital-care.html
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-hospital-care

Last edited by David Mashael; Jan 30th 2019 at 3:24 am.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for comparison purposes with Mikes costs

Rent - We own the property (Same here)
Council tax - £233 per year
Sub Division fees £35 per year (it is unlikely you will have to pay these if living in non sub division)
Electric - £60 - £85 per month
Water - £3.50 month
Internet and TV £36 month
Netflix - £8 month
Amazon Prime - £10 month
Food - £350 month (for 2 persons, does not include cigarettes or alcohol)
Alcohol & cigars - £200 month
Other household expenses - £75
Car insurance- £380 yearly comprehensive
Car Servicing- Main dealer £300 per year
Petrol 65 pence/Ltd very cheap. Diesel 53 pence/ litre (even cheaper)
Renewal of tourist visa - Free as I'm on a Balikbayan
Health insurance - £225 month (see my other thread re expats using NHS)
House cleaning services - £30 month
Gardening services - £40 month

Our other expenses are eating out, and entertaining, which is very dependent on your lifestyle. (Agreed)
Old Jan 30th 2019, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Your emergency get back to UK plan will not help you very much once you live overseas as an expat, assuming that you intend to use NHS.
Not all ill health comes slowly and you can plan ahead. An accident can happen anytime. Or a heart attack. You wouldn't get from your island paradise to Manila and out. Many OAPs in Thailand get caught out. Don't go without medical insurance. Take inpatient only and a high co-payment. The price will become affordable.

Old Jan 30th 2019, 6:59 am
Just Joined

salgoud is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for noticing my mistake, that makes my UK disposable income look much better.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Cebu, North of the city. I have lived here the last eighteen years. I have been married for almost twenty-four years, and visited the Philippines many times since 1982.
Mike Mike mentioned the sugary bread, which does not toast well at all. SM NRA Cebu has a "French Baker," their bread is to European taste. SM Consolacion has their own bakery, the baguettes and "bloomers," are to European taste as well. Bob the Baker baguettes are very good too. Cheddar cheese is available, and costs around £9 a pound. Fuel is £0.75 a litre. Servicing at a main dealer is P350 an hour. Around P190 in the smaller "Non-Casa" places. If you source parts from auto factor type shops, Toyota parts are readily available. A million peso value vehicle, costs P26,000 to insure. We own our house, and we get 20% discount, for paying in December, and pay £91 per annum. The cost is based, on what the house cost, when you bought it. Water is £3.50 a month, but we also have a deep well, we use for washing etc. Electricity is £100 a month, as we always have nieces and nephews staying here. 11kg of gas, costs £12. Twenty litres of drinking water costs from £0.30 - 0.75. We now have our own filtration system. Phone, Internet, Netflix £30 a month plus call costs. You might prefer WIFI £15 a month. A good doctor costs £6 a visit. If you drive here, you will definitely need Blood Pressure tablets, £12 a month. Food for five, and masses of visitors £250 - 350 per month.

Last edited by tropicofcancer; Jan 30th 2019 at 9:27 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 30th 2019, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Yes am aware of this, it should be taken into account,a much discussed subject in this and other forums. To date nobody has reported having known of any expat returning being denied hospital treatment (Note:GP and A&E are accessible and not charged for). The NHS also states that if you return as 'Settled Status' you will not be charged for hospital treatment. How 'Settled Status' is determined is not clear. My intention when I leave the UK is to have myself registered (electoral roll) at my brothers address (and maybe have a penny rent agreed), he will be dealing with all my correspondence (bank, pension etc) and passing it on to me (DHL). So if I succumb to any prolonged major illness (i.e. the big C) I can claim settled status on my return at my brothers house and "Tourist" visa stamps for the Philippines should support any claim of not being permanently resident overseas. Obviously any 'Emergency care (sudden heart attack, strokes, accidents, etc) would have to be provide for in the Philippines.

Thanks for the heads up
Old Jan 30th 2019, 10:15 am
Just Joined

I see some of you have quite a high budget for alcohol, smokes/cigars and food, that surprised me a bit. But in my favour I do not drink much (just a couple of beers, if that, socially), do not smoke and try to live a healthy low sugar low salt mildly active life style). As for food the two of us have already cut down our intake and eat 2 for 1 order. When we dine out (even at Mcdo, we share a big mac meal) we order one starter and main at a restaurant and ask for an extra plate and utensils, if they object then we up and leave taking our custom elsewhere.

David Marshael, I have not seen any health insurance quotes in the Philippines or elsewhere as low as £225 month with reasonable cover for major conditions included for pensioners (over 65). Is that per person or for your entire family?. I think I read somewhere that over 70's cannot get cover, or is that something related to Philhealth?

Old Jan 30th 2019, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

''When we dine out we order one starter and main at a restaurant and ask for an extra plate and utensils, if they object then we up and leave taking our custom elsewhere.''

You would not get away with that in a Uk restaurant, Why would think it would be different in the Philippines.? I it was my place I would tell, not ask you to up and leave. There are often signs making it clear there is no sharing.

Whilst sharing at Mc do is a given.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Just for comparison purposes with Mikes costs

Council tax - £233 per year
Sub Division fees £35 per year (it is unlikely you will have to pay these if living in non sub division)
Electric - £60 - £85 per month
Water - £3.50 month
Internet and TV £36 month
Netflix - £8 month
Amazon Prime - £10 month
Food - £350 month (for 2 persons, does not include cigarettes or alcohol)
Alcohol & cigars - £200 month
Other household expenses - £75
Car insurance- £380 yearly comprehensive
Car Servicing- Main dealer £300 per year
Petrol 65 pence/Ltd very cheap. Diesel 53 pence/ litre (even cheaper)
Renewal of tourist visa - Free as I'm on a Balikbayan
Health insurance - £225 month (see my other thread re expats using NHS)
House cleaning services - £30 month
Gardening services - £40 month

Our other expenses are eating out, and entertaining, which is very dependent on your lifestyle. (Agreed)
My expenses are as follows, based on living in a relatively small village the provinces

Council tax - £124 per year
Sub Division fees £0 per year as not in gated subdivision
Electric - £35-£45 per month - no AC just fans
Water - £0 month - no water service provided ( 70 foot bore cost £650 plus £150 for pump and plumbing )
Internet and TV £18 month
Netflix - £0 don't have
Amazon Prime - £0 don't have
Food - £650 month (for 2 persons, does not include alcohol) a lot is given to family and includes family BBQs.and I do like a few expensive items
Dog food - £60 month
Alcohol - £180-£200 a month - includes BBQs and parties
Other household expenses - £125
Car ( old Multicab ) - £80 yearly Insurance, registration etc
Car Servicing- local lad ( very good ) £100 per year
Petrol 75 pence/Ltd very cheap. Diesel 65 pence/ litre (fuel prices are higher in the provinces)
Cooking gas - £25 month ( 2 at £12.5 each )
Renewal of tourist visa - £7.5 yearly as I'm on a SRRV
Health insurance - £0 month (I must get some)
House cleaning services - £25 month ( two days a week )
Gardening services - included in house cleaning
Wife's pocket money - horrific
General house maintenance - approx £200 a year ( painting, gutter cleaning etc )
I support a couple of local kids through school so that is about £150 a year.

Hope above is of some help

Old Jan 30th 2019, 11:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn

I support a couple of local kids through school so that is about £150 a year.
for the first one

for the second
Old Jan 30th 2019, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikemike
''When we dine out we order one starter and main at a restaurant and ask for an extra plate and utensils, if they object then we up and leave taking our custom elsewhere.''

You would not get away with that in a Uk restaurant, Why would think it would be different in the Philippines.? I it was my place I would tell, not ask you to up and leave. There are often signs making it clear there is no sharing.

Whilst sharing at Mc do is a given.
Probably not in a High class UK restaurant, but the medium class 'Chain' restaurants in the UK duly oblige. I think this is being more accepted in recent years where restaurants are struggling, closing and not filling their tables, especially where there are not smaller portions on the menu for senior citizens.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
for the first one

for the second
The kids have to do all the work, the better their report, the more money they get ( it all comes from the shrapnel tin where all the change coins go ). I have tried to enroll 'her-in-doors' in this scheme but have failed miserably.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 12:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
The kids have to do all the work, the better their report, the more money they get ( it all comes from the shrapnel tin where all the change coins go ). I have tried to enroll 'her-in-doors' in this scheme but have failed miserably.
Good thinking, kids respond well to incentives. I'm sure your wife's a great shopper, I'm always telling my husband how much I saved when I come home with a heap of clothes bought on sale
Old Jan 30th 2019, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

My expenses are as follows, based on living in South metro Manila relatively small village the provinces, tried to give it as a monthly break down

Council tax - £11 per month
Sub Division fees £1.50 per month as not in gated subdivision
Electric - £35-£45 per month in winter months- no AC just fans. Summer $120 3 inverter air cons used at night and weekends when daily rate is discounted.
Water - £15 month -
Internet £25 month
Cable TV -£7 month
Amazon Prime - £0 don't have
Food - £300 month for 5 persons, includes alcohol, not much some is given to family and includes family
Alcohol - £ none in with food
Other household expenses - I think it is in the other budget figures
Car ( Ford Everest ) - £7 yearly monthly Insurance, registration etc plus subdivision sticker
Car Servicing- local lad ( very good ) £15 per month
Diesel 45 pence/ litre (fuel prices are higher in the provinces) £175pm
Cooking gas - £20 month ( 2 at £10 each )
Renewal of tourist visa - £5 yearly as I'm on a 13A
Health insurance - £0 month (I must get some)
House cleaning services - £0 month ( two days a week )
Gardening services - £0
General house maintenance - approx £15 a month ( painting, gutter cleaning etc )
School fees £200pm.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Good thinking, kids respond well to incentives. I'm sure your wife's a great shopper, I'm always telling my husband how much I saved when I come home with a heap of clothes bought on sale
At the moment I have 2 kids who work hard to keep their incentives ( neither family members ). Next door is the assistant head of the school and she asked if I could extend my incentive as the ones who do it have gone from near bottom to near top. I have said no but have managed to get a couple of other foreigners to sponsor a few kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.