Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Peminant citizen working for a US based company

Peminant citizen working for a US based company

Old Feb 16th 2023, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

javsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Peminant citizen working for a US based company

Hi, I'm a British citizen with a peminant citizenship in the Philippines. I work for a US company that is also based in the USA. I am paid through PayPal. I'm currently not paying taxes here and am unsure of what the law is I vagugley have a feeling I read something that makes me void from taxes but I'm not sure if this was only for visitors to the Philippines not peminant citizens. My reason is I want to open bank accounts and get credit cards ect... Any information would be much appreciated thanks
Old Feb 16th 2023, 1:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peminant citizen working for a US based company

[1] Are you on the payroll in the US? [2] Which state? .... [3] Is your employer deducting taxes and social security contributions (UK-speak: NI contributions)?. Or [4] are you actually a contractor being paid gross?
Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
[1] Are you on the payroll in the US? [2] Which state? .... [3] Is your employer deducting taxes and social security contributions (UK-speak: NI contributions)?. Or [4] are you actually a contractor being paid gross?

If you look at the OP's earlier posts he has a somewhat unusual work history in the Philippines......
Old Feb 17th 2023, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

javsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond repute

Ive messaged and asked the boss just waiting for his reply but im pretty sure im just getting paid gross
Old Feb 17th 2023, 2:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by javsezlol
Ive messaged and asked the boss just waiting for his reply but im pretty sure im just getting paid gross
That would make the most sense, but are you not getting pay slips or some sort of statement to show what you're being paid, and paid for (hours, time period, or other measure of work done)?

Assuming that you are being paid gross, you need to register locally as self employed and pay the local income tax and social charges (NI equiv). Actually, you almost certainly need to this anyway.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you look at the OP's earlier posts he has a somewhat unusual work history in the Philippines......
Thx, I'll take a look.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2023 at 2:05 am.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

That would make the most sense, but are you not getting pay slips or some sort of statement to show what you're being paid, and paid for (hours, time period, or other measure of work done)?

Assuming that you are being paid gross, you need to register locally as self employed and pay the local income tax and social charges (NI equiv). Actually, you almost certainly need to this anyway.

Thx, I'll take a look.
I've only recently become a resident previous to that I didn't need to pay taxes. There aren't really pay slips I just get weekly at a set rate (fluctuates due to exchange rate) but usually between 32,000-36,000 peso weekly
Old Feb 17th 2023, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by javsezlol
I've only recently become a resident previous to that I didn't need to pay taxes. There aren't really pay slips I just get weekly at a set rate (fluctuates due to exchange rate) but usually between 32,000-36,000 peso weekly
You need to pay taxes somewhere, you cannot legally become a digital nomad and avoid paying taxes entirely, at least not while physically present in a country or its territorial waters.

Notwithstanding you not being a permanent resident and not being "required" to pay taxes, unless you were taxable and paying taxes somewhere else (perhaps the UK, if you only left the same tax year), it is highly likely that if you were "physically present" and "performing work for pay", that you should have been paying taxes in the Philippines.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

foreigners in the philippines only pay tax on income and capital gains arising in the Philippines. some jurisdictions will tax you if your incomes and gains are arising in their jurisdictions. Some do not if your income and gains are paid from an offshore entity. i do not pay income or capital taxes in the philippines or the source country as i am not a resident there for tax purposes. 100% lawful and legal
Old Feb 17th 2023, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by mikemike
foreigners in the philippines only pay tax on income and capital gains arising in the Philippines. some jurisdictions will tax you if your incomes and gains are arising in their jurisdictions. Some do not if your income and gains are paid from an offshore entity. i do not pay income or capital taxes in the philippines or the source country as i am not a resident there for tax purposes. 100% lawful and legal
I totally understand and agree, but you are still tax-resident somewhere, not entirely under the radar.

I suspect that Javsezlol is (still) tax resident in the UK (or wherever he last worked prior to relocating to the Philippines), but he just doesn't realize it.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

I totally understand and agree, but you are still tax-resident somewhere, not entirely under the radar.

I suspect that Javsezlol is (still) tax resident in the UK (or wherever he last worked prior to relocating to the Philippines), but he just doesn't realize it.

No I do realize that, I was wondering about paying it here. That's my main concern as I've just become a resident here. So I'll be applying to pay here just wasn't sure if it had to be paid here or the US side but I've since found the information I was looking for
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a tax resident of the Uk I am a tax resident of the philippines exempt from local tax as income and cgt is not applied to overseas earnings and gains