British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Pasalubong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/pasalubong-864027/)

scot47 Aug 24th 2015 5:25 am

Pasalubong

Comments on this ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasalubong

Gazza-d Aug 24th 2015 11:08 am

Re: Retiring To Sipalay

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11731161)

What are you expecting us to say about this? When we visit we probably have more pasalubong than clothes, and probably nearly as much comming back home again.

Stokkevn Aug 24th 2015 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 11731358)
When we visit we probably have more pasalubong than clothes, and probably nearly as much comming back home again.

When we used to come for 6 weeks winter holiday, I used to find upon arrival my compliment of shorts, tee-shirts and undies were reduced to a couple of pairs. These had been replaced by everything from second hand mobiles to kids toys and usual gadgets/boys toys, not that I really minded except XL UK size is not quite the same as XL Philippine size. Returning to the UK was all 4 bags fitted into 1 hand carry bag along with the obligatory 2kg of dried fish.

Gazza-d Aug 24th 2015 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 11731384)
When we used to come for 6 weeks winter holiday, I used to find upon arrival my compliment of shorts, tee-shirts and undies were reduced to a couple of pairs. These had been replaced by everything from second hand mobiles to kids toys and usual gadgets/boys toys, not that I really minded except XL UK size is not quite the same as XL Philippine size. Returning to the UK was all 4 bags fitted into 1 hand carry bag along with the obligatory 2kg of dried fish.

Yes when we return home our cases are like a russian doll, one inside the other. Most of my clothes have been given away, including my mobile phone. :lol:

Stokkevn Aug 24th 2015 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 11731388)
Yes when we return home our cases are like a russian doll, one inside the other. Most of my clothes have been given away, including my mobile phone. :lol:

I can only assume your wife's family is related to my wife's family.

Gazza-d Aug 24th 2015 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 11731393)
I can only assume your wife's family is related to my wife's family.

The way they seem to work our relations I think they must all be related.

Stokkevn Aug 24th 2015 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 11731395)
The way they seem to work our relations I think they must all be related.

Some of us seem to struggle more than others, a friend cleared up his kitchen after returning from Ph and a few days later complained to his wife about leaving rubbish in plastic bags on the kitchen floor. He found out that it was the 2kg of dried fish she had brought back from Ph, you guessed it, in the mean time the dustmen had been.

Philosophical 11 Aug 25th 2015 4:59 am

Not sure why the post on Pasalubong has been posted here. Thought it was relevant to my topic Retiring in Sipalay but cannot see the connection. Maybe there is. Would be better served as a separate topic.

All good here!

Regards All

Pete M

BEVS Aug 25th 2015 5:23 am

Originally Posted by springsteen11 (Post 11732134)
Not sure why the post on Pasalubong has been posted here. Thought it was relevant to my topic Retiring in Sipalay but cannot see the connection. Maybe there is. Would be better served as a separate topic.

All good here!

Regards All

Pete M

As you wish . I have moved the posts into a thread of their own.

scot47 Aug 25th 2015 12:23 pm

Re: Pasalubong

I posted it because I thought it provides an insight into cultural differences and what is expected of people in a Filipino extended family. Marrying a Filipina means getting into a tangled web of extended family relationships.

Stokkevn Aug 25th 2015 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11732398)
Marrying a Filipina means getting into a tangled web of extended family relationships.

Damm, so that is where all these people come from.

johnlisbon Sep 25th 2015 3:58 pm

I am visiting the northern Philippines with my Filipina gf for a month over Christmas and will be staying with her mother and three twenty something children. I am sure she will take lots of presents but wonder whether I ought to make separate gifts of my own. By then the relationship will be four or five months old.

As a second question I have had the thought that my gf and I might take a week long holiday away from her family in some resort in that part of the islands. Am I right to think that the coast of Cagayan is the area to look or are there holiday resorts scattered about? Also I wonder if taking her away from her family for a time would be regarded negatively?

Stokkevn Sep 26th 2015 12:46 am

Originally Posted by johnlisbon (Post 11757796)
I am visiting the northern Philippines with my Filipina gf for a month over Christmas and will be staying with her mother and three twenty something children. I am sure she will take lots of presents but wonder whether I ought to make separate gifts of my own. By then the relationship will be four or five months old.

I always let my wife buy and distribute all the presents. If you get separate ones, unless you buy them all the same, there will be a bit of 'why did they get a more expensive present than me?'. All I normally do is line up all the small kids, give the youngest one P200 or P300 and tell him/her to take the rest out for something to eat or sweets, that normally seems to work out well.

johnlisbon Sep 26th 2015 9:32 am

Thanks.

That sounds like a good, practical idea - and rather splendidly undemanding (I am pretty awful at present buying).