British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Oddities in the Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/oddities-philippines-928256/)

Feidlimid Oct 2nd 2019 7:52 am

Oddities in the Philippines

Yesterday’s post was of a similar nature to this one, not exactly humorous but more of an oddity. Depends on one's sense of humour of course as we had a good laugh today. Anyhow, rather than hijack Stokkevn’s thread I’ve decided to start a new one entitled ‘Oddities in the Philippines’.
Today in S&R today, we picked up 2 cartons of 185g tins of canned tuna; each carton contained 4 tins of exactly the same product and weight but with different wrapping. One package had cardboard wrapping; the other on the shelf above had plastic wrapping.
  • The cardboard carton was marked ‘Exclusively for S&R members’ and was priced ₱239.
  • The plastic carton was marked ‘Buy 3, Get 1 for Free’. The price? You’ve probably guessed it, ₱239.
In the past I’ve highlighted such oddities to the nearest supervisor and all to no avail so I wasn’t going down that route again. Still, I thought it might be worth a bit of banter at the check out so I took one of each carton with me.
Upon pointing it out to the usual friendly check out lady, she patiently explained to me that the plastic wrapping carton meant that I was getting one free. Right, I said, so I would be better off buying the tuna in the plastic carton? Yes Sir, of course …… Say no more. Although one thought did cross my mind: 'Do Filipinos really fall for that nonsense/ scam advertising?'

bestvue Oct 2nd 2019 8:42 am

Re: Oddities in the Philippines

Originally Posted by Feidlimid (Post 12743215)
Today in S&R
Upon pointing it out to the usual friendly check out lady, she patiently explained to me that the plastic wrapping carton meant that I was getting one free. Right, I said, so I would be better off buying the tuna in the plastic carton? Yes Sir, of course …… Say no more. Although one thought did cross my mind: 'Do Filipinos really fall for that nonsense/ scam advertising?'

my Filipina would definatly go for the free one. Well it's free init.

Stokkevn Oct 2nd 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Feidlimid (Post 12743215)
Yesterday’s post was of a similar nature to this one, not exactly humorous but more of an oddity. Depends on one's sense of humour of course as we had a good laugh today. Anyhow, rather than hijack Stokkevn’s thread I’ve decided to start a new one entitled ‘Oddities in the Philippines’.
Today in S&R today, we picked up 2 cartons of 185g tins of canned tuna; each carton contained 4 tins of exactly the same product and weight but with different wrapping. One package had cardboard wrapping; the other on the shelf above had plastic wrapping.
  • The cardboard carton was marked ‘Exclusively for S&R members’ and was priced ₱239.
  • The plastic carton was marked ‘Buy 3, Get 1 for Free’. The price? You’ve probably guessed it, ₱239.
In the past I’ve highlighted such oddities to the nearest supervisor and all to no avail so I wasn’t going down that route again. Still, I thought it might be worth a bit of banter at the check out so I took one of each carton with me.

The biggest problem is that Filipinos are generally terrible at mental arithmetic.I tried pointing out to a shop boy that a pkt of crisps selling at P85 each or special offer two for P190 wasn't a special offer but more expensive, he could not work it out that it was, even with his phone. The manager was not much better saying "Yes but there are two of them", after 3 goes on her phone she did concede that it was more expensive and then wandered off leaving the special offer in place.

Careful when buying local plumbing materials hoping they will match ones brought in from overseas. 1/2" hose connectors made here are slightly smaller than 1/2" and as such leak profusely when mated up to a British 1/2" hose, also true of many other fittings as well.

Gazza-d Oct 2nd 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12743258)

Careful when buying local plumbing materials hoping they will match ones brought in from overseas. 1/2" hose connectors made here are slightly smaller than 1/2" and as such leak profusely when mated up to a British 1/2" hose, also true of many other fittings as well.

I don't think it's the size difference as Philippines plumbing leaks profusely anyway.

bestvue Oct 2nd 2019 10:16 am

Many plumbing leaks due to "compulsory " use of ptfe tape on compression fittings so stopping them to tighten up properly. Then have to add plumbers cement to stop the leak.

kompani101 Oct 3rd 2019 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12743258)
The biggest problem is that Filipinos are generally terrible at mental arithmetic.I tried pointing out to a shop boy that a pkt of crisps selling at P85 each or special offer two for P190 wasn't a special offer but more expensive, he could not work it out that it was, even with his phone. The manager was not much better saying "Yes but there are two of them", after 3 goes on her phone she did concede that it was more expensive and then wandered off leaving the special offer in place.

The plumbing problem is they assume 1" is the same as 25mm, it isn't (it's 25.4mm), so they interchange metric and imperial pipe fittings and label them incorrectly. Last week we measured the internal diameter of three different manufacturers '25mm' blue plastic T's, each was slightly different. Two were moulded 1" on the fitting yet slightly different size and the third was moulded 25mm and was yet a different size!! No quality control or actual understanding. The assistant eventually shrugged and walked off.

mikemike Oct 4th 2019 8:11 am

Originally Posted by kompani101 (Post 12743696)
The plumbing problem is they assume 1" is the same as 25mm, it isn't (it's 25.4mm), so they interchange metric and imperial pipe fittings and label them incorrectly. Last week we measured the internal diameter of three different manufacturers '25mm' blue plastic T's, each was slightly different. Two were moulded 1" on the fitting yet slightly different size and the third was moulded 25mm and was yet a different size!! No quality control or actual understanding. The assistant eventually shrugged and walked off.

They are using American Imperial not British

kompani101 Oct 4th 2019 8:30 am

I worked for a very large American engineering company for 30 years, they had industrial valves and parts manufactred in the US, Mexico, Germany and Italy, often compatibility and choosing the correct duty/size was a challenge.

Stokkevn Oct 4th 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12744016)
They are using American Imperial not British

If they are using the American standard they would all be out by the same amount, which they are not. On a 1" fitting the actual size can be larger or smaller than any other international standard and well outside allowances for the American standards. Yesterday I was looking for a 2" Tee, one shop did not have one but asked if a 3" Tee would do instead.

Crystal Dale Oct 4th 2019 4:59 pm

Seeing a girl sitting astride a motorbike as a passenger but wearing a helmet whilst her partner wasn't wearing one is certainly an oddity over there in my eyes. Yes its his choce to risk his head in a crash but does the girl not think she's in danger of coming off by sitting on the bike that way yet shes obviously concerned about her head and does he think that her helmet will protect them both, if you know what I mean or that because he's a guy his head is bulletproof?

Tweedpipe Oct 4th 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Crystal Dale (Post 12744169)
Seeing a girl sitting astride a motorbike as a passenger but wearing a helmet whilst her partner wasn't wearing one is certainly an oddity over there in my eyes. Yes its his choce to risk his head in a crash but does the girl not think she's in danger of coming off by sitting on the bike that way yet shes obviously concerned about her head and does he think that her helmet will protect them both, if you know what I mean or that because he's a guy his head is bulletproof?

Perhaps I'm not following you correctly, but surely the girl sitting astride a motorbike with a helmet on is doing it the most safest way. Had she been sitting with both legs on the same side (as so many females do in Asia) then agreed she's in greater danger of coming off.

Gazza-d Oct 5th 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Crystal Dale (Post 12744169)

Today I saw a guy on a motorbike wearing a proper helmet, the girl on the back was wearing a construction helmet and the kid inbetween nothing.

Stokkevn Oct 5th 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 12744379)
Today I saw a guy on a motorbike wearing a proper helmet, the girl on the back was wearing a construction helmet and the kid inbetween nothing.

Here is unusual to see anyone wearing a helmet and if they are it is normally protecting their elbow.

Crystal Dale Oct 5th 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12744210)
Perhaps I'm not following you correctly, but surely the girl sitting astride a motorbike with a helmet on is doing it the most safest way. Had she been sitting with both legs on the same side (as so many females do in Asia) then agreed she's in greater danger of coming off.

Yes I meant both legs on the same side

nonthaburi Oct 5th 2019 12:35 pm

I've ridden five on a bike many times before, plus the shopping in the basket and bags hanging off the mirrors