NCR llockdown

Old Dec 30th 2021, 10:20 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NCR llockdown

Originally Posted by Raffin
Yes I know. He's made a few errors.

Bui it's not his finding, it's from researchers at the university of Cape Town, the number 1 ranked Uni in SA.

I think that justifies him presenting its findings to his viewers, the majority non medically qualified who can't or don't have the time to look around for other sources. If there's a radical change after peer review I am confident he will tell us.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this video - it's just a general note of caution.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this video - it's just a general note of caution.
His great strength is clinical experience. Then during the pandemic he's become very familiar with the covid data and sources. Plus the way he puts things over So I don't think he deserve to be singled out for "a general note of caution". Especially as there have been quite a few instances of top experts getting things completely wrong over the past 2 years.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 11:09 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

His great strength is clinical experience. Then during the pandemic he's become very familiar with the covid data and sources. Plus the way he puts things over So I don't think he deserve to be singled out for "a general note of caution". Especially as there have been quite a few instances of top experts getting things completely wrong over the past 2 years.
He is a retired nurse educator (and previously an A&E nurse), and current social media influencer.

Since he is entitled to use the title Dr it is often assumed that he is a medical doctor, but as explained - the Dr is due to gaining phd in nursing education.

His great strength is not clinical experience - but social influencing.

Omicron does indeed seem to be less severe - but a reduction of 70% in the number being hospitalised when the number being infected is many times the levels seen still leaves a high number being hospitalised. Add to that the number infected and not able to work, close contacts quaranting, etc.

Up to the beginning of December, NSW saw about 200 cases a day. That has been growing and yesterday saw more that 20,000 cases for the day - giving approx 90,000 active infections currently.

Hospitalisations are growing as are ICU cases - so even though it is milder, there is still cause for concern so just be careful.

And he's not singled out - he's the only one I've seen linked to - and more than once. Given that he has said Ivermectin was responsible for reduction in COVID in Japan, amongst other things, a note of caution is warranted.
Old Dec 30th 2021, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

First, thank you OS for telling us all what we know already about Omicron. From a number of sources.

By the way, SA is the premier source of data now about Omicron, not Australia. You come well behind the UK and some European countries.

You are the one singling him out here. If you had said we have to exercise caution generally when so many voices are in the media talking about covid, then fine.

Social influencer? People like his videos. It's as simple as that. Not what he wears or drives.

Yes, he made an error on Japan and Ivermectin. He has promised something more on Japan soon, so let's see what he says then about the role, if any, of Ivermectin. He may have made one or two other errors but he is learning and in his last video he made it plain he wasn't very knowledgeable about certain microbiological experiments.

What it comes down to is that people are willing to trade his few errors against his other strengths.

"His great strength is not clinical experience" But then he has been a nurse in a number of countries, a nurse educator and has a PhD in nursing education!

As you state in your reply! Really strange.

Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NCR to Alert level 3 from Monday. Says Omicron transmission likely to be involved.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/31/...-alert-level-3

Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Well no surprises there. All of a sudden omicron is coming into view. Lack of testing so nobody knows the true infiltration of omicron particularly as the symptoms are mild.
Just to comment on OS, and his particular views and interpretations. Every knows that Dr John is not a medical doctor. What he does do well is take the time to put the pandemic in perspective. Maybe on the rare occasion there has been mistaken interpretations but no one is perfect. Just look at his worldwide subscribers. In my view he has been doing a magnificent public service. Locally Raffin has been doing the same. End of !
Old Dec 31st 2021, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Well no surprises there. All of a sudden omicron is coming into view. Lack of testing so nobody knows the true infiltration of omicron particularly as the symptoms are mild.
Just to comment on OS, and his particular views and interpretations. Every knows that Dr John is not a medical doctor. What he does do well is take the time to put the pandemic in perspective. Maybe on the rare occasion there has been mistaken interpretations but no one is perfect. Just look at his worldwide subscribers. In my view he has been doing a magnificent public service. Locally Raffin has been doing the same. End of !
Nice of you to say that, B. Thanks

The normally quiet as a mouse Health Secretary Duque has come out on the local transmission of Omicron. I still think holiday effects have been the main cause of the exponential rise so far as it is seen only in the NCR and to a lesser extent in nearby regions. With the slow genomic testing no point in waiting for confirmation. As B says Omicron symptoms are cold like so where is the publicity about that from the DOH? They'd better do a lot on that if they can't afford to distribute millions of free rapid tests!

From today we are promised "new improved" covid statistics from the DOH. Good timing! For them. Because if cases rise exponentially for weeks the DOH's rickety statistics operation will be shown to be even more unreliable as an indicator than it is now.

A bit more on Dr John.

In addition to his informative regular videos on the pandemic he's been running crusades in 3 areas:

1. Promoting aspiration for intra muscular vaccination.
2. Vitamins D, K and Zinc and their contribution to immunity.
3. Ivermectin as an anti viral.

On the first he seems to have been correct as papers have come out recently showing a lessening of myocarditis when vaccines are administered using aspiration So far though no response from the authorities. On vitamin D he is still trying but generally getting no response. One country, the Republic of Ireland, is doing something on vit D though I don't know if they were inspired by his campaigning.. On Ivermectin he's been an advocate for its serious consideration but has been quiet recently. He probably went too far in a recent Japan video. Has interviewed some doctors who support its use. Like many probably awaiting an Oxford trial study due to come out with results in a few months time.

Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:09 pm

Not sure why you assumed I am male - I would have thought the sparkles was a give but maybe not. I was a female electrician so sparkles not sparky.

Anyway, not everyone knows Dr John is not a medical doctor so I was just adding clarity.

And yes, Raffin is doing a great job relaying and explaining numbers locally
Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:10 pm

Nice of you to say that, B. Thanks

The normally quiet as a mouse Health Secretary Duque has come out on the local transmission of Omicron. I still think holiday effects have been the main cause of the exponential rise so far as it is seen only in the NCR and to a lesser extent in nearby regions. With the slow genomic testing no point in waiting for confirmation. As B says Omicron symptoms are cold like so where is the publicity about that from the DOH? They'd better do a lot on that if they can't afford to distribute millions of free rapid tests!

From today we are promised "new improved" covid statistics from the DOH. Good timing! For them. Because if cases rise exponentially for weeks the DOH's rickety statistics operation will be shown to be even more unreliable as an indicator than it is now.

A bit more on Dr John.

In addition to his informative regular videos on the pandemic he's been running crusades in 3 areas:

1. Promoting aspiration for intra muscular vaccination.
2. Vitamins D, K and Zinc and their contribution to immunity.
3. Ivermectin as an anti viral.

On the first he seems to have been correct as papers have come out recently showing a lessening of myocarditis when vaccines are administered using aspiration So far though no response from the authorities. On vitamin D he is still trying but generally getting no response. One country, the Republic of Ireland, is doing something on vit D though I don't know if they were inspired by his campaigning.. On Ivermectin he's been an advocate for its serious consideration but has been quiet recently. He probably went too far in a recent Japan video. Has interviewed some doctors who support its use. Like many probably awaiting an Oxford trial study due to come out with results in a few months time.
Ivermectin - https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...event-covid-19
Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
So? What's your point?
Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:17 pm

So? What's your point?
At this stage, do not take ivermectin if you get Covid

Old Dec 31st 2021, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm well aware that that is the view of many health bodies around the world. I watch CNN US a lot and you can add Dr Gupta, their excellent medical correspondent. Plus Dr Fauci the President's chief adviser on the pandemic, even the makers Merck.
But there are a number of small studies and meta studies that show some effect. Look back at Dr John's output. Also some government distribution in a part of India. And many individuals have taken it. Yes, some people have taken animal sized quantities and got ill!

It's got to be studied in proper trials so wait for the Oxford study. From a very highly ranked University in the world, rather than Cape Town, which is down in the 100s or 200s. so you should be confident in its findings.

A pity it's so late. But no wonder as it is out of patent and cheap to make. No money in it for big Pharma.

You've heard of Group Think? It's possible that a similar thing at the organisation level has been going on with Ivermectin
Old Dec 31st 2021, 1:12 pm

I'm well aware that that is the view of many health bodies around the world. I watch CNN US a lot and you can add Dr Gupta, their excellent medical correspondent. Plus Dr Fauci the President's chief adviser on the pandemic, even the makers Merck.
But there are a number of small studies and meta studies that show some effect. Look back at Dr John's output. Also some government distribution in a part of India. And many individuals have taken it. Yes, some people have taken animal sized quantities and got ill!

It's got to be studied in proper trials so wait for the Oxford study. From a very highly ranked University in the world, rather than Cape Town, which is down in the 100s or 200s. so you should be confident in its findings.

A pity it's so late. But no wonder as it is out of patent and cheap to make. No money in it for big Pharma.

You've heard of Group Think? It's possible that a similar thing at the organisation level has been going on with Ivermectin
I've read a paper in the lancet (I think) about ivermectin - it was only a small group study but more than half suffered adverse effects, and even significant adverse effects. The results were inconclusive, and further studies required. At this stage, should I develop significant symptoms, I would have thought existing antivirals and oxygen would be the way to go.

And I'm not one to fall into the big pharma conspiracy theories either so please don't introduce these to BE - or, due to the controversial nature, maybe start a thread in TIO, and don't derail this thread

ETA - oh, and you may be aware and do your own research, but we cannot assume all readers are the same, members and guests.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Dec 31st 2021 at 2:13 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2021, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

old.sparkles, My apology. Perhaps using the current fad I should address all as gender neutral.

Now, so far as the current up-stick (what a terrible abuse of English) as they are referring to current increase in cases, we shall now see a rapid, perhaps an exponential increase in the very near future. Omicron is here and it is my belief that the authorities will come clean perhaps late next week. I can't help thinking that the low number of new cases that were seen just prior to Christmas where manipulated so that the masses could enjoy more freedoms up until Monday 3 January. Welcome all to the third year of restrictions.
Old Dec 31st 2021, 1:20 pm

old.sparkles, My apology. Perhaps using the current fad I should address all as gender neutral.

Now, so far as the current up-stick (what a terrible abuse of English) as they are referring to current increase in cases, we shall now see a rapid, perhaps an exponential increase in the very near future. Omicron is here and it is my belief that the authorities will come clean perhaps late next week. I can't help thinking that the low number of new cases that were seen just prior to Christmas where manipulated so that the masses could enjoy more freedoms up until Monday 3 January. Welcome all to the third year of restrictions.
Is it just the NCR seeing omicron, or more wider regions? I'm not sure which area was affected by the typhoon, but I think those areas are still working on recovering power and services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.