British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   NCR llockdown (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/ncr-llockdown-931684/)

Stokkevn Mar 18th 2020 3:08 pm

Re: NCR llockdown

According to her-in-doors facebook posts now has it that a Chinese couple of developed this virus in their kitchen and then released it into the public.

Raffin Mar 18th 2020 8:58 pm

Have sighted a few people having difficulty walking a fair distance with two bags of groceries. Trikes are off in the transport ban and the Palace yesterday confirmed the reason was because social distancing cannot be maintained. You would think that they could allow it for one passenger at the very least.

Then, there's a rule that only one person from each household to be getting the shopping. Supposedly to be enforced by the Barangay! If followed people will be making more shopping trips.

Stokkevn Mar 18th 2020 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Raffin (Post 12823063)
Have sighted a few people having difficulty walking a fair distance with two bags of groceries. Trikes are off in the transport ban and the Palace yesterday confirmed the reason was because social distancing cannot be maintained. You would think that they could allow it for one passenger at the very least.

Then, there's a rule that only one person from each household to be getting the shopping. Supposedly to be enforced by the Barangay! If followed people will be making more shopping trips.

I bet they wished they had bought London taxis

Raffin Mar 19th 2020 1:44 am

https://www.ibon.org/just-follow-won...BON Foundation

Stokkevn Mar 20th 2020 11:25 am

Police have just been round to advise that as of this evening there is a curfew from 20:00 to 05:00hrs. Won't bother most in the village as they are normally in bed by that time.

RedApe Mar 20th 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12822875)
According to her-in-doors facebook posts now has it that a Chinese couple of developed this virus in their kitchen and then released it into the public.

Fillet of a fenny snake, in the caldron boil and bake. Eye of newt, and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog. Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting. Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing.

Double, double, toil and trouble. Fire, burn, and caldron, bubble.

Gazza-d Mar 20th 2020 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12823997)
Fillet of a fenny snake, in the caldron boil and bake. Eye of newt, and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog. Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting. Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing.

Double, double, toil and trouble. Fire, burn, and caldron, bubble.

You've been watching my mother-in-law cooking.

Raffin Mar 20th 2020 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12823947)
Police have just been round to advise that as of this evening there is a curfew from 20:00 to 05:00hrs. Won't bother most in the village as they are normally in bed by that time.

Curfews are unnecessary as everything is closed and there are so many uniformed people around on the deserted streets to persuade any people who are out without good reason to go home. But a few years ago a national "strongman" type leader was elected so especially at times like this no relying on persuasion to be any part of the restrictions.

Those in local government have to follow the tough inflexible line coming from the top. From people who have little idea how most people live here. Very few are speaking out. Vico Sotto with his sensible trike proposal had to bow down in the end to the argument from the Palace that if his idea was allowed then there would not be a uniform rule!

On Rappler today there's a report of a homeless Lola arrested for just shouting at Tanods during the curfew in Malate. MM.

Very early days now...but unless there is more help and flexibility in dealing with the poor I think there will be serious unrest in many areas before long.

Philosophical 11 Mar 21st 2020 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Raffin (Post 12824317)
Curfews are unnecessary as everything is closed and there are so many uniformed people around on the deserted streets to persuade any people who are out without good reason to go home. But a few years ago a national "strongman" type leader was elected so especially at times like this no relying on persuasion to be any part of the restrictions.

Those in local government have to follow the tough inflexible line coming from the top. From people who have little idea how most people live here. Very few are speaking out. Vico Sotto with his sensible trike proposal had to bow down in the end to the argument from the Palace that if his idea was allowed then there would not be a uniform rule!

On Rappler today there's a report of a homeless Lola arrested for just shouting at Tanods during the curfew in Malate. MM.

Very early days now...but unless there is more help and flexibility in dealing with the poor I think there will be serious unrest in many areas before long.

A few days ago the US state department advised all US citizens to leave metro Manila and cebu due to possible civil unrest..

nonthaburi Mar 21st 2020 7:31 am

After natural disasters in the Philippines, is there normally much looting?

Could be some tough times ahead for sure. Widespread economic collapse, profiteering, highly leveraged businesses going under, mass unemployment...... All kinds of possibilities.

What is the capability of the government to intervene and help. I'm guessing not in the same way as European governments are right now.

mikemike Mar 21st 2020 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11 (Post 12824340)
A few days ago the US state department advised all US citizens to leave metro Manila and cebu due to possible civil unrest..

do you have a link?

Bealinehx Mar 21st 2020 8:17 am

There is no related link on the US Embassy, Philippines. They just advise all US citizens globally to return to the US.

Philosophical 11 Mar 21st 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12824457)
do you have a link?

Sorry not now. I got it from an American friend but MikeK1 took a photo of it to pass on. Maybe he can provide the link.

Regards

Stokkevn Mar 21st 2020 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11 (Post 12824461)
Sorry not now. I got it from an American friend but MikeK1 took a photo of it to pass on. Maybe he can provide the link.

Regards

I saw that the other day ( poss Tuesday/Wednesday ), I think it was in one of the AOL news articles that pop up when you open aol email.

RedApe Mar 21st 2020 9:22 am

There is nothing like this on the State Department Travel Alerts for the Philippines. In fact on their advisory regarding Manila they just say follow the instructions of the Philippines government and Health Authorities.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ippines.html#/

I call "Fake News".