Bargains

Old Aug 22nd 2017, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bargains

Inspired a bit by the previous thread, I thought that there is a tendency among us Expats to keep on using and buying, sometimes with difficulty, the same imported products we used "back home". Not locally made or cheap imports from countries like China. Often with good reason, but a recent experience made me think it is worth putting in a bit more search and experiment effort with such products.

Looked around a local store, one of those discount emporia, housed in a slightly sweaty, redundant cinema. Full of Chinese goods..some of questionable quality, but all cheap. And for the three items I looked for much cheaper and of the same or better quality than I found in the nearby branch of a well known supermarket...the one which always says it "Saves" you more!

The highlight? Decent Chinese tooth brushes for P10! On a par with many of the cheaper and middle range brushes you might find hanging up at the checkout in a supermarket, but obviously very much cheaper. The other bargains I purchased were a Thermos Flask and plastic clothes pegs..much better than the supermarket ones, which tend to break easily.

Only problem is that any item may not be there next time.

I know that shop is not a "one-of". They have other branches in Cavite and also in Bicol, for a start.There are other similar retailers around here and I am sure the more Provincial the area the more there will be.

So, forgetting about local markets, clothing and products easily faked. Also not including products "on sale" or offered as "loss leaders" in supermarkets etc. Can anybody else report finding similar bargains?
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bargains

Originally Posted by Raffin
Inspired a bit by the previous thread, I thought that there is a tendency among us Expats to keep on using and buying, sometimes with difficulty, the same imported products we used "back home". Not locally made or cheap imports from countries like China. Often with good reason, but a recent experience made me think it is worth putting in a bit more search and experiment effort with such products.

Looked around a local store, one of those discount emporia, housed in a slightly sweaty, redundant cinema. Full of Chinese goods..some of questionable quality, but all cheap. And for the three items I looked for much cheaper and of the same or better quality than I found in the nearby branch of a well known supermarket...the one which always says it "Saves" you more!

The highlight? Decent Chinese tooth brushes for P10! On a par with many of the cheaper and middle range brushes you might find hanging up at the checkout in a supermarket, but obviously very much cheaper. The other bargains I purchased were a Thermos Flask and plastic clothes pegs..much better than the supermarket ones, which tend to break easily.

Only problem is that any item may not be there next time.

I know that shop is not a "one-of". They have other branches in Cavite and also in Bicol, for a start.There are other similar retailers around here and I am sure the more Provincial the area the more there will be.

So, forgetting about local markets, clothing and products easily faked. Also not including products "on sale" or offered as "loss leaders" in supermarkets etc. Can anybody else report finding similar bargains?
A shop called Unitop was ( maybe still is ) selling a set of copper bottomed pans, steamers etc ( 17 piece ) good quality, thick copper bottoms etc for P6,000 which seems very cheap, some friends bought a set - very happy with it.