Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Moving from US to Philippines on 13A. What about my son?

Moving from US to Philippines on 13A. What about my son?

Old Jul 26th 2018, 12:06 am
Just Joined

clark365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from US to Philippines on 13A. What about my son?

I am married to a filipina citizen. We are moving from the US to the Philippines using the 13A visa. This covers myself, my wife and our 4 year old son.

I also want to bring my 17 year old son from a previous marriage. The Chicago consulate told me I can’t include my older son in the 13A application because my filipina wife is not his mother.

How can I bring my older boy along with us?
Old Jul 26th 2018, 12:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from US to Philippines on 13A. What about my son?

Originally Posted by clark365
I am married to a filipina citizen. We are moving from the US to the Philippines using the 13A visa. This covers myself, my wife and our 4 year old son.

I also want to bring my 17 year old son from a previous marriage. The Chicago consulate told me I can’t include my older son in the 13A application because my filipina wife is not his mother.

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our Philippines forum.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest that you contact the immigration department by e mail and ask them. I would also suggest that you confirm to them what you son would be doing as once he is 18 he will be an adult in his own right and expect to carry his own passport and visa applications. Is he a student going on to university in the Philippines? etc he may be able to get a student visa.

Lastly, is your current wife a legally adoptive parent of your son?

You may ask the Immigration bureau if your wife as a legal adoptive parent can include your son as part of the 13a process.

[email protected]

Last edited by mikemike; Jul 26th 2018 at 4:05 am.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikemike
I suggest that you contact the immigration department by e mail and ask them. I would also suggest that you confirm to them what you son would be doing as once he is 18 he will be an adult in his own right and expect to carry his own passport and visa applications. Is he a student going on to university in the Philippines? etc he may be able to get a student visa.

Lastly, is your current wife a legally adoptive parent of your son?

You may ask the Immigration bureau if your wife as a legal adoptive parent can include your son as part of the 13a process.

[email protected]
The above email is not working even though it is listed on their website.
[email protected] seems to be working. No bounce yet..

I will update this page with their reply.

Thank you Mike for the ideas.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

They got back to me with just a link, which I cannot display since I don't have 5 messages created yet.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Just 2 more messages to 5.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

And this one.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Here is the link: Inclusion of dependent

If I am reading this right, then I am the applicant for the 13A, and then my 17 year old son can come with me as a dependent.
This is different than what the Chicago consulate told me by phone. I will call them and try to clear this issue up and post my result.

Last edited by clark365; Aug 20th 2018 at 2:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link: Inclusion of dependant

If I am reading this right, then I am the applicant for the 13A, and then my 17 year old son can come with me as a dependent.
This is different than what the Chicago consulate told me by phone. I will call them and try to clear this issue up and post my result.
I am not surprised that consulate have no idea at all. what visa will your son be applying for at 18? There may be an allowance that sees him continue as a dependent if in full time education. Another one to ask them about.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link: Inclusion of dependent

You are not the applicant of the 13a your wife is. It may seem as thought you are making the application but in reality it is your wife that is applying on your behalf.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
You are not the applicant of the 13a your wife is. It may seem as thought you are making the application but in reality it is your wife that is applying on your behalf.
I think I am the applicant according to this: immigration.gov.ph link

Notice under the first section Who Can Apply? the answer is: A foreign national on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

So, according to that, I am the one applying.

I left a message with the Chicago Consulate. When they call back I will confirm with them.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I think I am the applicant according to this: immigration.gov.ph link

Notice under the first section Who Can Apply? the answer is: A foreign national on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

So, according to that, I am the one applying.

I left a message with the Chicago Consulate. When they call back I will confirm with them.
Yes it is you that receives the visa but it still your wife that particians on your behalf. And you lose it if you split from your wife.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Yes it is you that receives the visa but it still your wife that particians on your behalf. And you lose it if you split from your wife.
More confirmation that I am the applicant, not my wife. See this checklist
It is the checklist from the instructions for the 13A visa.
Notice Checklist Item 1, which states: Joint letter request addressed to the Commissioner from the applicant and the petitioning Filipino spouse;

I am the applicant, and my wife is the petitioning Filipino spouse.

Last edited by clark365; Aug 20th 2018 at 8:29 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

More confirmation that I am the applicant, not my wife. See this checklist
It is the checklist from the instructions for the 13A visa.
Notice Checklist Item 1, which states: Joint letter request addressed to the Commissioner from the applicant and the petitioning Filipino spouse;

I am the applicant, and my wife is the petitioning Filipino spouse.
You are correct, your wife is petitioner or sponsor. You are the applicant.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok we are playing with words but it still doesn't get around the fact that your wife can't sponsor your son.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.