British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Moving to Subic/Olongapo Area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/moving-subic-olongapo-area-895757/)

Yogi1474 Apr 21st 2017 1:52 pm

Moving to Subic/Olongapo Area

Hi guys,

My Filipino wife and I are heading out to the Subic/Olongapo area next month with a view to finding a property to rent/buy, or land to build on, in preparation for a permanent move around September time.

Does anyone here have any contacts in the the area that may be able to point us in the direction of reputable agents, etc?

Many thanks
Brian

Gazza-d Apr 21st 2017 2:21 pm

Re: Moving to Subic/Olongapo Area

You are best just driving around the areas you are interested in as the Philippines doesn't really do the reputable agent bit. If you do find one you will be paying way over the odds, and it won't be to the owner.

Yogi1474 Apr 21st 2017 2:23 pm

Okay, thanks Gazza-d. I did wonder - we looked at some well-placed land just outside Olongapo on our last trip, so may well end up back there.

Gazza-d Apr 21st 2017 2:31 pm

Our place is about 15 miles inland from Olongapo, far enough to be out of the hustle and bustle but near enough for a bit of shopping.

Yogi1474 Apr 21st 2017 2:33 pm

That's the kind of location we're looking for - I don't fancy being stuck in the city. Nearer the sea is a little more appealing with fresher air and easier access for fishing :)

Gazza-d Apr 21st 2017 2:37 pm

As it is a bay it can be a bit polluted, either side of the city is best athough I'm not sure how far south you need to go because the base blocks access, you might need to head down into Bataan a bit then back to the coast.

Yogi1474 Apr 21st 2017 2:39 pm

Yes, sussed that bit, although I may even get access to the base as my wife's father was a General in the Philippine army and her mother was a lawyer to Imelda Marcos :)

Gazza-d Apr 21st 2017 2:43 pm

There are nice residences in the base although a lot of the old US accomadation is getting a bit tired now days. The base attracts a lot of expat and has better water/electric/roads/security etc than the city, but you pay for it.

There are big shopping malls and hotel and entertainment venues in the base which an attraction

Yogi1474 Apr 21st 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks for the advice - we shall investigate further when we get there next month. Good internet is going to be fairly important as I can then still work remotely if required. I believe they've been putting in fibre in the area recently so that should help, albeit, as you say, 'you pay for it!'

Gazza-d Apr 21st 2017 2:49 pm

Not sure about the fibre, although if anywhere has it I would think the base would be first. Our village doesn't even have a land line. Internet can be very hit or miss and change daily.

Yogi1474 Apr 21st 2017 2:50 pm

Yes, I did 'laugh' at a tv ad I saw when I was there last that was advertising the new 'superfast' internet of up to 7Mbs...ahem...20 years ago maybe!

Scratcher Apr 24th 2017 3:31 am

20 years ago? I live in rural malaysia and I'm lucky to get 2Mbs.

Scratcher

mikemike Apr 24th 2017 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Scratcher (Post 12236655)
20 years ago? I live in rural malaysia and I'm lucky to get 2Mbs.

Scratcher

That is double the standard speed we get from PLDT along with a dynamic Ping up to 700 a time.

Count your blessings and your ping!!

I love Malaysia, the asawa dos not. Which part are you in

Scratcher Apr 27th 2017 9:38 am

Im staying in rural Johor, about 45 minutes from Johor Bahru.

Scratcher