Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Philippines for UK pension reason – Is this possible .

Moving to the Philippines for UK pension reason – Is this possible .

Old Jan 15th 2024, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Philippines for UK pension reason – Is this possible .

Quiltman is correct, a TIN is needed from the tax authorities here. I also obtained a statement, that I was registered for tax here.
In the past then Inland Revenue on more than one occasion had me fill in a form, with the number of days spent in UK. Easy as it was zero days.
For the first five years you are classed as: Resident, or Ordinarily Resident in UK. Domicile being a separate issue. In twenty-three years I have been back to UK once for a period of under two months. During which time I had to pay for medical treatment. We are low hanging fruit. Pay National Insurance for forty years, but still have to pay on return to UK. Accident resulting in my arm being broken, was caused by a British Citizen!
Old Jan 29th 2024, 2:55 am
Just Joined

DownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Philippines for UK pension reason – Is this possible .

Dropped in again to check responses, and just noticed this in the OP's first post (cut and pasted) -

"I’m a 74 year old UK citizen living in Thailand and like a fool when I left the UK to move to Thailand I informed the UK pension office of my move.

For the last 20 years I have been receiving my UK old age pension payment into my Thai bank , this UK pension payment was frozen when I moved to Thailand 20 years ago (the monthly pension payment has never increased for 20 years.)"

My question to the OP. How did you manage to get the OAP at age 54?

​​​​​​​It has always been my understanding that the Age Pension in Britain (and almost everywhere else in Western countries) is payable only at age 65. In most cases it is now 67, as is the situation here in Australia.

Was this an error in posting on the OP's part? Doubtful as he clearly states he is 74 but has been getting his OAP for 20 years.

I am now madly curious. He may be in to something very interesting...
Old Jan 29th 2024, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnder69
Dropped in again to check responses, and just noticed this in the OP's first post (cut and pasted) -

"I’m a 74 year old UK citizen living in Thailand and like a fool when I left the UK to move to Thailand I informed the UK pension office of my move.

For the last 20 years I have been receiving my UK old age pension payment into my Thai bank , this UK pension payment was frozen when I moved to Thailand 20 years ago (the monthly pension payment has never increased for 20 years.)"

My question to the OP. How did you manage to get the OAP at age 54?

It has always been my understanding that the Age Pension in Britain (and almost everywhere else in Western countries) is payable only at age 65. In most cases it is now 67, as is the situation here in Australia.

Was this an error in posting on the OP's part? Doubtful as he clearly states he is 74 but has been getting his OAP for 20 years.

I am now madly curious. He may be in to something very interesting...
​​​​​​​Methinks typo. 84 not 74.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 12:32 am
Just Joined

DownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond repute

This makes good sense, thank you. It's a wonder I didn't think of it...

Moving to the Philippines at age 84 may well be a major undertaking for this OP. At his age he may need his partner and family to do many at home things for him. I'm an active 76 and I manage to do many things for myself, but I have to face the obvious truth that if I didn't have a devoted (and much younger) partner at home to do everyday things, I would surely find myself up a certain creek without any two-ply.

I've shown this thread to several British friends who live in Australia and also have a keen interest in UK pensions. All said the same thing, there likely isn't any easy solution for this OP to do anything other than return home, settle in, and start again. Which obviously he doesn't want to. I wouldn't either. Not back to Tories and Richie Rich and all the spinoffs from the Brex*hit big mess the country is in.

Many of them are facing much the same problem as the OP, even in Oz. In the last 12 months the cost of everything has skyrocketed, basics such as utilities (electricity, gas) have doubled and then some, and they are now dipping into their cash reserves to pay for day to day things. As it is, many are sitting in properties they bought for modest prices 30, 20, e en 10 years ago, which are now million-dollar properties. Of course our municipalities and insurance companies have profiteered from this by greatly increasing their charges and rates. Politicians are either unable or unwilling to come to their aid, but this raises the question of what can politics do to try to control the free market?

To compound the problem, a fair number of my elderly friends are obsessed with leaving their house to their children, but are now sitting in dwellings they can't afford to maintain. Things are not improving much, and the situation will surely not end well. We are up for a national election next year, so let's wait and see...

Fortunately for us we have no children, so in time we will sell up and move to somewhere cheaper and more congenial than Australia. Bali in Indonesia and Philippines were considered but neither really suit. We may end up in Malaysia, my partner is from Ipoh and has family there. It's a nice city and Malaysia has a modest cost of living without the blatant profiteering we are now seeing so much of in Australia.

None of this will be a great consolation to the OP, but he will know he isn't alone in having to face his financial woes.

Last edited by DownUnder69; Jan 30th 2024 at 12:40 am.
Old Mar 6th 2024, 5:11 am
Just Joined

helensou is an unknown quantity at this point

No they wouldn't - you have to stay in the UK for over 6 months (not necessarily in one chunk though) and provide proof you intend to remain there as your new habitual/ordinary residence. The authorities have to be satisfied about this - one thing to support your claim is I believe, documents showing you have shipped belongings/furniture, etc. And if you have been living in a country with a relatively low cost of living, the high cost in the UK would counteract any increased pension you would get for probably 3 or 4 years (if moving back to your expat country after a few months is the intention). Added to that, you would now be taxed on any overseas income. Worth it? Maybe for some but not for everyone I guess.

Last edited by helensou; Mar 6th 2024 at 5:14 am.