Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

moving to the philippines "2"

moving to the philippines "2"

Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice
Default Re: moving to the philippines "2"

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I made it clear in a previous post that i never respond to or make personal attacks desert rat. If you want to debate the points that I raise or actually write some yourself i am happy to write further . Attacking the person rather than what they have written and addressing the points raised is called an Ad Hominem. I am interested in what you think but you have not been able to debate with me you just make personal comments . This behaviour is typical of females not males.

I note that your grammar has improved since i highlighted your incorrect usage.
Please advise just where exactly I have made a personal attack?
Thank you for your compliment on my fast improving grammar. I must make a note to ask the CEO for a salary increase tomorrow.
I have pointed out that you are wrong to catagorize all women from two countries just because you have a close association with some bad apples.
Luckily some other forum members and myself have been luckier in our choices!
I am interested how you worked out the theory that ALL Asian women are just after money from foreigners based on your own limited experiences?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You're going around in circles here
See Polyannas last post, if we dont get on track we may as well close the thread
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Why should the thread be closed? Its about moving to the Philippines. A member brussels_sprout has voiced an opinion as he is entitled to and that view is now being debated.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desert-rat
Why should the thread be closed? Its about moving to the Philippines. A member brussels_sprout has voiced an opinion as he is entitled to and that view is now being debated.
The thread is (was) about moving to the philippines. Now its about the virtues or not of Philippino women interspersed with subtle wind ups and digs. I'm sure the OP would be pleased with it
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

The discussion has veered to talking about Filipino and Thai women. I would say that is a part of moving to those respective countries that should be addressed. Or shall we just discuss the weather?
This is after all a discussion forum. There are many other threads for example the Oscar Pistorius one in the Middle East section that maybe should be moderated or closed first in my opinion.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:07 pm
Senior Moment

The discussion has veered to talking about Filipino and Thai women. I would say that is a part of moving to those respective countries that should be addressed. Or shall we just discuss the weather?
This is after all a discussion forum. There are many other threads for example the Oscar Pistorius one in the Middle East section that maybe should be moderated or closed first in my opinion.
And of course you are entitled to that opinion.
Please dont discuss moderation here, if you wish to take it further then use the pm system
Thank you
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

I have stated my case in public.

Anyway back to the thread "Moving to the Philippines 2". Does it rain more in the rainy season than in the summer where you are?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Well the rain here in Cebu as is the temperature; much the same throughout the year. Well normally that is. 2001 and 2012 we had a couple of really wet Junes. I must also say that this Dry Season, has not been that dry in comparison to most.
Here in Cebu we are lucky, and can crop corn four times a year, most years. We are well sheltered from tsunamis, and usually the typhoons avoid us. They usually pass East of Leyte.
Also there is no known fault line directly affecting Cebu. However in February last year an earthquake on Negros gave us a really good shake. Yes the earth moved on my birthday. The biggest tremor felt here in over four hundred years. Then the third biggest in that period occurred in July last year, this time East of Leyte.
There is a volcano on Cebu not far from our smallholding North of here, but the vulcanologists pronounced it extinct a few years back. I am not sure if volcanoes know the rules though. In fact when we had the strong quake in February last year, I thought that our local volcano was about to wake, and blow its stack. Pinatubo managed it after all.
Yes Cebu is a great place to live. I live here with my Cebuana wife of almost eighteen years, our daughter aged ten, and our twin nieces aged twenty. Plus other relatives stay over sometimes. I have never regretted moving here since I was made redundant, and took early retirement twelve years ago.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

googly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The thread is (was) about moving to the philippines. Now its about the virtues or not of Philippino women interspersed with subtle wind ups and digs. I'm sure the OP would be pleased with it
The OP has already left this site due to the behavior of certain members!!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

googly is an unknown quantity at this point

I have stated my case in public.

Anyway back to the thread "Moving to the Philippines 2". Does it rain more in the rainy season than in the summer where you are?
You have one reply already!

Last edited by googly; Feb 27th 2013 at 7:07 am. Reason: BYQ
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say I am not trying to be controversial with the climate etc. However as we have a returned member coming to live in Cebu, and many people look to this site for information, I put the information in for anyone reading and thinking about it. Wet and Dry Season are not very pronounced here in Cebu.
The first time I arrived in the Philippines was 4th September 1982 following a typhoon, and the rain in Manila to me was unbelievable.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:04 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true that electricity is very expensive there? Would you say that is the biggest downside to living there?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Is it true that electricity is very expensive there? Would you say that is the biggest downside to living there?
Yes, electricity is quite expensive. Our average monthly bill in Cebu City is around PHP12,000 (£190 roughly) but this is for a large house where all the bedrooms are used and air cons are on at night - we rarely use them during the day. Much depends on your lifestyle as with many other things.

The downsides to living in the Philippines depend on your personal experience and outlook - some foreign residents find the poverty and the casual attitude of many Filipinos to life in general difficult to cope with.

My main bugbear is the driving - which is not good! Daytime is not so bad but night-time you really need to keep an eye out for motorcycles, jeepneys and cars with no lights on and who rarely signal plus pedestrians who cross roads when and where they like. Street lighting is generally poor. Right now the roads are not in good shape - potholes everywhere - but then an election is coming in May so I guess we can expect the "asphalt storm' syndrome in about one months time!

Cebu City is developing rapidly - plenty of good place to eat out, more and more shopping malls and high-rise condos. Totally unrecognisable from when I first visited in 1986. And when the city gets too much you can just drive out to the province and find a nice beach resort and relax for a day or two. It's a nice city but requires certain compromises.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pete
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

We pay about 3,000 Pesos a month in Bohol. Its a large house but it benefits from a constant sea breeze. It can get quite chilly at night. We have ac in the bedrooms but only for visitors from chilly Europe.
The roads are reasonable although Tagbilaran City has its fair share of potholes and tricycles. After years in the Gulf the driving seems extremely good!!
Mountains, the tourist area of Panglao are all in easy reach as is Cebu and many other places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.