Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

moving to the philippines "2"

moving to the philippines "2"

Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to the philippines "2"

With the bread it is too sugary, so not good for making toast. However the bread in French Baker (SM) is very much to European taste, but pricey in comparison. Imported foods like cheese are expensive, and the drop in the exchange rate from a hundred and nine to currently sixty-six certainly hasn't helped matters.
Don't forget that you can go to Balikbayan Plus and buy duty free items if you wish. Handy if you need to set up home with a few luxury items.
A litre of San Miguel will set you back almost £1, potatoes are normally P45 - 90 a kilo.
Petrol (gas) is banging P59 a litre for velocity.

Cebu prices quoted.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

hi well i get bread rolls and a 55 peso or 65 peso loaf from a german run bakers so nice also the french baker but you pay more oh the rolls are 10 peso each cibatita 20 but french baker cibatita better and bigger again you pay more, then theres the aussie deli just like tesco etc etc
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Blackbear well your about to fly soon or tomorrow so if your on 1 of the main european/middle east planes then you have a chance to get your 59 day visa at the airport before passport control. Ok this might not go down well but do not dismiss all that sprout says. there is a lot of truth in that. And i can tell you 1st 2nd and 3rd hand much worse. But for now enjoy take it slow, oh and while you may not hear for a while your girlfriend may . Can you lend me 8888 well that means can you give me as i will never pay it back
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Originally Posted by JaHo
I've lived here since 2005 and can offer the following advice:

* The cost of living is not cheap. True, it is cheaper than the UK, but not by a lot.
* If you have health problems, be aware that you will need a lot of money.
* Find something to do. Have a purpose in life. All-day drinking is not a purpose in life.
* Stay away from groups of whinging expats. Their negative attitudes are corrosive. Unfortunately, they're all over the place. Most are just losers.
* Be very hesitant about giving / lending money to anyone, however close. Once you have given way, word will get around, and many locals like nothing better than having an easy life on the back of someone else.
* Drive like a local, not like an Englishman.
* Do not annoy locals if it can be avoided. Some people here are quietly violent, and settle arguments with machetes.
* Be patient. Be very, very patient. Any government institution is a trial of endurance.
* Most officials are corrupt.
* It is a noisy place. If you treasure peace and quiet, do not come.
* Preferably, like disco music with ridiculously amplified bass. Or like karaoke.
* Dogs here are enlarged rats.
* Power cuts, water supply, internet connections etc are unreliable.
* If you watch local TV for any length of time you will turn into a cabbage.

Having said all that, I have been happy here, although I am thinking of leaving. If you keep a low-profile, behave in a reasonable manner and show respect (the genuine sort) you will have no problem. And the large majority of Filipinos are friendly and hospitable.
Some of what you say is true especially the stay away from whinging expats! Nothing brings a place down more than them. Better to just read their posts on a forum like this!!
Noisy for sure with roosters making noise all night!! Power cuts and water supply shortages are extremely reliable.
lend money but take some thing as security. lending money anywhere in the world is risky!!Just check out the worlds big banks???
Some people in the so called civilised world settle arguments with boots and guns!!
If people dont want to live here then they can always leave.
If you want it to be like America, Australia or Britain then you are in the wrong place. Its the Philippines and I love it!!

Last edited by desert-rat; Aug 31st 2012 at 1:09 pm. Reason: Poor spelling
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Because of the pitiful wages here, anything labour-related is cheap. Local bread is unpalatable at any price. And yes, beer is still cheap.
When I came here I got 95 pesos to the pound, now it's 65.
Everything has gone up in price, particularly fuel and food. Cheap-living is possible, but you won't have much of a lifestye. Depends on what you want.

No, I'm not turning into a cabbage. I miss cold weather, peace and quiet, and Western culture.
I know what you mean about the bread, but at 1 peso for a pan de sal, it is not unexpected, the bakers where i live, i swear do not use 100% flour, or even 75%, something is added to pad it out , very very dry. I have to travel 100km for ok bread, and coffee , and , well almost everything , but the fish and rice where i live must be the best , cheapest on the whole planet !

Ah i didnt expect that reply, about the cold weather, i suppose after sweating for years, maybe good idea. Do you think you will return ? After a few weeks with fat ugly western females, i would.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I know what you mean about the bread, but at 1 peso for a pan de sal, it is not unexpected, the bakers where i live, i swear do not use 100% flour, or even 75%, something is added to pad it out , very very dry. I have to travel 100km for ok bread, and coffee , and , well almost everything , but the fish and rice where i live must be the best , cheapest on the whole planet !

Ah i didnt expect that reply, about the cold weather, i suppose after sweating for years, maybe good idea. Do you think you will return ? After a few weeks with fat ugly western females, i would.
Are you sure those fat ugly western females wont use their sexuality and seductiveness to get his money sprout???
Old Sep 1st 2012, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

so from bread we went to big fatty sweating woman i hope we never reach benidorm
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Blackbear, you state that your g/f has her own business and makes between US$ 700 -US$1200 a month.That is a very large amount of proffit] for what I would consider a 'small' business in the Phills.
How many times have you visited the Phills? It would appear to me that you are very nieve and I would strongly advice you to read up and do your homework before commiting yourself to the Philippines full time.
This expat site is Ok,however there a far more informative sites with several thousand members that you should be taking note of,Yahoo groups -Living in the Phillipines, Cebu Brit Group. There is another site 'Living in the Philippines' which has 100's of pages detailing evethything you should be aware of.
You could quite correctly could question why and how I can offer you this advice.I have been married to my Pinnay wife for 21years. We have travelled to the Phills at least 30 times (from the UK).We have purchased a lot 197sq mts for 1m peso (when it was 102p/£1) and had a 4bed/3 bath house constructed for 2.8 m peso. We then bought the ajoining land for amother 1m peso (again 197sq mtrs) from a Balikbayen in Kuwait.
The house is inside a very privite sub division (San Jose) in Mangaldan,Pangasinan,and is 4kms away from the San Fabian beach resort.In the town of Mangaldan there is a Enlishman -John Haytree - who has built up a succesfull 'eatery' which does very well, especialy as it is near to a church so that they cater for weddings and christenings (100's attend these funtions).John goes to the Phills 4/5 months a year with his Pinnay wife. The business is run by his brother in law who is 100% trustworthy.My wifes sister looks after all our affairs in the Phills, and again is 100% trustworthy.
In both cases John and I have known ours wifes familys for many years ..........................how well do you know your G/Fs ?Over the course of our many stays in the Phills we have met many ex-pats who basically are 'losers' and only thought that the Phills would be a cheap paradice. On the other hand we have met some proffesional and knowlegeable business folk.Most would advice against starting any business unless it is substantial and cannot easily be copied by the locals (they will be cheaper and work longer hours).
Our intention is to semi retire to the Phills,however we will keep a 'bolthole' here in the UK just in case we need medical treatment etc.Our friend John is planning the same.In both case we have thought hard and long about the cosequences.We certainly do not have any needs to earn money in the Phills..........................I think you may need to, and I must say I am very,very sceptical about your g/fs earnings.
I can give you much advice, and I really think you need it. I am only a phone call away.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 4:10 am
Just Joined

JaHo is an unknown quantity at this point

Desert-rat - the problem with many Westerners who move here is that they think the Phils should be like their home countries.
The locals just ask why they don't go back. I share that view.

Brussels_sprout - probably, but I see myself living 50/50 for a while. We have too many ties here to walk away permanently. At this moment, after weeks of heat, I long to be in a cool, grey place. (And yes, while Luzon floods, the Visayas sweats)

Mikek1 - you are right. What Phil business that isn't corrupt makes that amount?
My own advice to anyone moving here would be to keep a place going in the UK. The Phils can be great place, but paradise it ain't.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

googly is an unknown quantity at this point

Desert-rat - the problem with many Westerners who move here is that they think the Phils should be like their home countries.
The locals just ask why they don't go back. I share that view.

Brussels_sprout - probably, but I see myself living 50/50 for a while. We have too many ties here to walk away permanently. At this moment, after weeks of heat, I long to be in a cool, grey place. (And yes, while Luzon floods, the Visayas sweats)

Jaho - you are right. What Phil business that isn't corrupt makes that amount?
My own advice to anyone moving here would be to keep a place going in the UK. The Phils can be great place, but paradise it ain't.
Mikek1, Our business is not corrupt and makes and a good bit more than that. We where audited by the BIR (Bureau Of Internal Revenue) a couple of months ago and they didn't find any faults. No money was exchanged.
We have been in business since 1999 and there are a total of 56 shops/manufacturers in our town that produce the same product.
Im not saying it has been easy but it is possible if you have the right partner (your wife) and work hard rather than spending your days moaning about the Philippines and drinking cheap beer!

Last edited by googly; Sep 2nd 2012 at 7:14 am. Reason: message was for Jaho
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

googly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikek1
Blackbear, you state that your g/f has her own business and makes between US$ 700 -US$1200 a month.That is a very large amount of proffit] for what I would consider a 'small' business in the Phills.
How many times have you visited the Phills? It would appear to me that you are very nieve and I would strongly advice you to read up and do your homework before commiting yourself to the Philippines full time.
This expat site is Ok,however there a far more informative sites with several thousand members that you should be taking note of,Yahoo groups -Living in the Phillipines, Cebu Brit Group. There is another site 'Living in the Philippines' which has 100's of pages detailing evethything you should be aware of.
You could quite correctly could question why and how I can offer you this advice.I have been married to my Pinnay wife for 21years. We have travelled to the Phills at least 30 times (from the UK).We have purchased a lot 197sq mts for 1m peso (when it was 102p/£1) and had a 4bed/3 bath house constructed for 2.8 m peso. We then bought the ajoining land for amother 1m peso (again 197sq mtrs) from a Balikbayen in Kuwait.
The house is inside a very privite sub division (San Jose) in Mangaldan,Pangasinan,and is 4kms away from the San Fabian beach resort.In the town of Mangaldan there is a Enlishman -John Haytree - who has built up a succesfull 'eatery' which does very well, especialy as it is near to a church so that they cater for weddings and christenings (100's attend these funtions).John goes to the Phills 4/5 months a year with his Pinnay wife. The business is run by his brother in law who is 100% trustworthy.My wifes sister looks after all our affairs in the Phills, and again is 100% trustworthy.
In both cases John and I have known ours wifes familys for many years ..........................how well do you know your G/Fs ?Over the course of our many stays in the Phills we have met many ex-pats who basically are 'losers' and only thought that the Phills would be a cheap paradice. On the other hand we have met some proffesional and knowlegeable business folk.Most would advice against starting any business unless it is substantial and cannot easily be copied by the locals (they will be cheaper and work longer hours).
Our intention is to semi retire to the Phills,however we will keep a 'bolthole' here in the UK just in case we need medical treatment etc.Our friend John is planning the same.In both case we have thought hard and long about the cosequences.We certainly do not have any needs to earn money in the Phills..........................I think you may need to, and I must say I am very,very sceptical about your g/fs earnings.
I can give you much advice, and I really think you need it. I am only a phone call away.
Mikek1, Although i agree with you there are many expat sites that are informative for newcomers to the Philippines i find that most of them are geared towards retired Americans.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

I am afraid you are right.
Most westerners move here as they think it will be a cheap tropical paradise in which they can eek out their meagre pensions. When they find its not the promised land they congregate in bars moaning about the heat, women etc. Thailand is pretty much the same. They should move back to their fat ugly women and leave those of us who can afford to live here in peace!!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

blackbear1137 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have solved the noise issue.im a biker soooooooo earplugs.!!! my aim is to enjoy the rest of my life here any problems come up well solve the together,it wont be an easy ride, but is not easy in uk either and i WANT to be here with anna.nieve??? mikek1 i hope one day to be as wise as you ,but for now ill just keep making bad decitons and work round the results..as ive always done i m a fillipino now not an expat ive good frends now ,meet an expat from the usa,nice guy but a drunk !!!!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Glad that all is going well; how was your welcome?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

blackbear1137 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah very good party time ,sleep till noon ,met the neigbours all nice chow king lunch,look at some propertys ,brought one looking around for others,dont want to be a millionare just make a little bit more than if i left my money sitting in a bank earning crap interest. lots of advice from you guys but your wasting your time ,ill do it myyyyyy way heheeh and if i fu3k up its my fault ,i WANT TO BE HERE ,NOT INTERESTED IN MAKING THIS A PART OF THE UK ,ILL LIVE LIKE MY FIANCE EAT LIKE HER ,LOVE THE FOOD HERE NEED TO EXCERSIZE THOUGH .i trust my fiance and her family ,her hubby dosent trust me!!!! thinks im after his wife as well heheheh .hes safe love anna and well work together with gods help well be ok,and the asian markets better than eroupe ,if i stayed there id be working well into my 70s not for me ,risk!!! of corse what isnt ,crossing the road is a risk ,this is the rest of my life ,i have control, as much as i can ,as much as anyone can.......without big brother looking over my shoulder, and taking my cash from me in uk.glad to be here?? YESYESYES go back NO. IM FILLIPINO NOW,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.