Me and My Family

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Me and My Family

Whilst on the subject of allowances, members might like to view this
. This clip is from a site www.myphilippinedreams.com and is probably the best sites for living in the Philippines.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly agree Mikek1. We both have sat down during an idle moment to watch those videos. My gf loves them. Not seen that one yet, but will later. She is also a member of the closed fb group "Foreigners Wives" and often shares some of the posts with me.

The comparison of the Philippines and Essex made me smile. I have relatives there and I sometimes wonder if they have more money than sense with the amount of bling they wear. Also, the amount they spend on their personal appearance. As I have mentioned before, my gf is one of the best dressed women around here. Even a walk to the market requires at least 20 mins of make-up and preparation. Those who have fb will have seen that. She says its to make me proud...maybe. But I prefer jeans and t shirt which is what I always wear.

The clothes she buys are plentiful but surprisingly cheap and fashionable . She is constantly off-loading all the old clothes to her sisters.

She has talked about gold being the alternative to money and an investment. Most of what she buys is certainly plain. But hardly wears. The only thing she wears is a gold necklace I bought her when we first met at the airport. She will change that to a gold crucifix when appropriate. A few months ago, I mentioned she pawned one of her gold pieces to help her family and recently when she went to pay the interest, I surprised her and redeemed it for her. Doubt if I will do that again in view of her profligacy with gold.

A final note. Her sister as most of you know is at University on her final year of a four year course. It is an Information Technology Course. My gf paid for her first 3 years and I am paying for her final year. She is expecting to land a job at a call centre with this qualification and expects to earn circa 18k per month. Most of that will go back to her family....but I wonder is 18k pm is optimistic. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 9:56 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

A final note. Her sister as most of you know is at University on her final year of a four year course. It is an Information Technology Course. My gf paid for her first 3 years and I am paying for her final year. She is expecting to land a job at a call centre with this qualification and expects to earn circa 18k per month. Most of that will go back to her family....but I wonder is 18k pm is optimistic. I hope I am wrong.
It seems a bit sad that after 4 years of University you aspire to work on answering phones in a call center.

Old Oct 24th 2015, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess money for the family means more than aspirations here in the Philippines... Sad.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Guess money for the family means more than aspirations here in the Philippines... Sad.
Regardless where they work money for the family is always at the top of the spend list.

There was a BBC interview of a Call center owner who said "The brightest graduates from our top universities fight to get a job here. We only take the smartest kids. And after we've finished training them they get to answer telephone calls". There must be something better on offer for university graduates.

Old Oct 24th 2015, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Regardless where they work money for the family is always at the top of the spend list.

There was a BBC interview of a Call center owner who said "The brightest graduates from our top universities fight to get a job here. We only take the smartest kids. And after we've finished training them they get to answer telephone calls". There must be something better on offer for university graduates.
yes flipping burgers in Jollibee.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, 18K per month at call centre in Cebu/Manilla is about right. most are around 15/20K for 5 x 12 hour shifts per week.sometimes there is a little overtime available. A supervisor may get up to 25k. In the UK call centres have a massive turnover of staff due to the nature of the job, here, they have a queue of people wanting to work in them!
Old Oct 25th 2015, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quiltman
Pete, 18K per month at call centre in Cebu/Manilla is about right. most are around 15/20K for 5 x 12 hour shifts per week.sometimes there is a little overtime available. A supervisor may get up to 25k. In the UK call centres have a massive turnover of staff due to the nature of the job, here, they have a queue of people wanting to work in them!
Don't forget the approx P3.5K tax/deductions as well that always sneak out of the pay packet each month.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 5:50 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
It seems a bit sad that after 4 years of University you aspire to work on answering phones in a call center.
Unfortunately, that is the going rate for a Filipino degree. Its not like you can go knocking on any first world doors with your masters degree.

The highest ranked university in the Philippines is UP Diliman....ranked 1411 in the world!

Philippines | Ranking Web of Universities
Old Oct 25th 2015, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Unfortunately, that is the going rate for a Filipino degree. Its not like you can go knocking on any first world doors with your masters degree.

The highest ranked university in the Philippines is UP Diliman....ranked 1411 in the world!

Philippines | Ranking Web of Universities
I know my knowledge is limited to my wife's degree and experience but I would suggest a Philippine degree is about on a level with our A level.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I know my knowledge is limited to my wife's degree and experience but I would suggest a Philippine degree is about on a level with our A level.
Not too sure what the equivalent level is here, but a friend's daughter has just started a degree in mechanical engineering, so I dug out and gave her some of my old 'O'/'A' Level maths and university engineering 1st year books which I had kept, instead of her buying new. I spoke with her this morning as she returned most of my books ( including one titled Introduction to Engineering Mechanics ) saying that the teachers had said they do not teach up to this level. She told me that they would not learn Calculus or Trigonometry until her second or possibly third year. Unfortunately I did not have any books that went that far back. Her assignment this week was to divide a line on a bit of paper in exactly half, she looked totally surprised as I folded the paper in half and marked the middle.

I fear your suggestion that their Masters Degree is about the same as a UK 'A' Level maybe a bit optimistic.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not only in the Philippines. Loads of graduates in UK doing shelf-stacking ad burger-flipping. The "Diploma Disease" has led to a huge increase in people with useless paper qualifications unrelated to the job market.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Got a convoluted story the other day. I seem to get a lot of these. Will cut out all the tales of woe involved and try to make a long story short. And even now, I do not fully understand it or the logic behind it.

She said she wanted to help a friend with money problems and this friend had jewellery to pawn. She said her friend could not do it herself for some obscure reason, (think she is an OFW) and could not trust anyone with the money except my gf. I think the idea was for my gf to pawn the jewellery and then send the money to her friend. No idea who was going to service the monthly interest. Jewellery was obtained but I noticed gf signing a piece of paper with her name on it with three monthly payments of 14k. I could not see the exact content of the paper and on querying this, she said she was merely countersigning her friends agreement?

We get back home and next day find the pawn shops will only give about 13k for this item for which gf friend paid 43K. Result was to return said item to gf friend. We received and returned the jewellery to an intermediate who was unknown to us.

Now, I should also add that the jewellery was picked up quite a way away and required a 7 hr return journey getting up at an unearthly hour plus hanging around for a taxi etc. The same journey was taken to return the jewellery.

I cannot make head nor tail of that. My theory is gf was buying the jewellery for herself....but to pawn for the money. She could not possibly repay 14k per month otherwise.

Anyway... she is not happy at the moment. Gf cheerfully announces that Palawan the pawnshop is auctioning jewellery today and we should go there and get a bargain......and they take credit cards! I said I was in no position to buy jewellery and pointed out that the jewellery would have a reserve price and doubted if there was much of a bargain to be had anyway.

Cue Pinay pout. Slightly different from the others in that she is feeling sorry for herself and will not talk about it. Not had one of those for a few weeks now. They only seem to come when it involves money. My money.

Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Got a convoluted story the other day. I seem to get a lot of these. Will cut out all the tales of woe involved and try to make a long story short. And even now, I do not fully understand it or the logic behind it.

She said she wanted to help a friend with money problems and this friend had jewellery to pawn. She said her friend could not do it herself for some obscure reason, (think she is an OFW) and could not trust anyone with the money except my gf. I think the idea was for my gf to pawn the jewellery and then send the money to her friend. No idea who was going to service the monthly interest. Jewellery was obtained but I noticed gf signing a piece of paper with her name on it with three monthly payments of 14k. I could not see the exact content of the paper and on querying this, she said she was merely countersigning her friends agreement?

We get back home and next day find the pawn shops will only give about 13k for this item for which gf friend paid 43K. Result was to return said item to gf friend. We received and returned the jewellery to an intermediate who was unknown to us.

Now, I should also add that the jewellery was picked up quite a way away and required a 7 hr return journey getting up at an unearthly hour plus hanging around for a taxi etc. The same journey was taken to return the jewellery.

I cannot make head nor tail of that. My theory is gf was buying the jewellery for herself....but to pawn for the money. She could not possibly repay 14k per month otherwise.

Anyway... she is not happy at the moment. Gf cheerfully announces that Palawan the pawnshop is auctioning jewellery today and we should go there and get a bargain......and they take credit cards! I said I was in no position to buy jewellery and pointed out that the jewellery would have a reserve price and doubted if there was much of a bargain to be had anyway.

Cue Pinay pout. Slightly different from the others in that she is feeling sorry for herself and will not talk about it. Not had one of those for a few weeks now. They only seem to come when it involves money. My money.

Happy days

Pete
It ticks all of the filipino logic boxes, could be straight up.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 9:57 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
It ticks all of the filipino logic boxes, could be straight up.
Years ago my missus asked me to loan on a friends jewelry, I said no as it was nearly useless ( only about 3-4g of broken 9kt ). She loaned her and proudly showed what she had got for her P1,000, and to prove me wrong headed to the palawan to pawn it for a profit. She returned looking very crestfallen, eventually I got it out of her, after fees etc they offered her about 1/3rd of what she had given and needless to say her friend never wanted it back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.