Me and My Family

Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Me and My Family

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not in my world. I can't remember the last time I used a handbag. Must have been in the 80s though. I only ever carry a purse and keys, phone in back pocket. I do not understand handbags at all.
I'm never without my handbag or the US woman's purse. Can't even imagine being without one. Viva la difference.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm never without my handbag or the US woman's purse. Can't even imagine being without one. Viva la difference.
Same here, my handbag has my life in it
Old Jan 15th 2019, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Same here, my handbag has my life in it
Yesterday my husband picked mine up and said ‘If I carried this around all day, I would have a bad back too.’
Old Jan 15th 2019, 7:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
You have obviously never come across the Nigerian fishermen, who with a fishing rod and great dexterity could empty your bedroom of anything of value through the iron bars, watch wallet, shoes, glasses, even open the wardrobe and have it away with any decent cloths, the last thing they took was your blanket. That is when you woke up.
That's astonishing.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
You have obviously never come across the Nigerian fishermen, who with a fishing rod and great dexterity could empty your bedroom of anything of value through the iron bars, watch wallet, shoes, glasses, even open the wardrobe and have it away with any decent cloths, the last thing they took was your blanket. That is when you woke up.
Nigeria is an "amazing" place when it comes to items disappearing. Yet I spent some memorable (in a positive way) years there.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Nigeria AAH. If they would only divert their 'talents' to productive activities it would be an amazing place. I had some interesting times working at MMIA better known as LOS.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings...

Ah yes...."Teef men" as they were called when I was in Sierra Leone, W. Africa. They used long poles and would remove what they could through the bars, but thankfully we were never robbed.

Hospital Admission... She had been suffering from abdominal pains and on one occasion a couple of weeks ago, they were so severe that I whisked her to the new hospital on the edge of town. Although brand new, they have limited facilities and just one doctor. Reason being of a dispute between the private owner and the Mayor who will not sanction any further development. Long story. Anyway, they made various checks and sent us on our way armed with pain killers saying that she needs an ultra sound scan if the pain re-appears. The next day which was a Saturday, we legged it to the "Little Big City" about 2.5 hrs away and halfway to the "Big City" I wanted to check about the preparations she had to make as advised the day before...i.e. fasting etc. But no....she said it would be OK. Her mother said so. But what her mother didn't mention was it was closed on weekends. She was in pain so advised her to sit in the middle of the bus rather at the front where the ride would be more comfortable. That fell on deaf ears. Why do they always want to sit at the front? We arrived after 2.5hrs and her pain was acute and we managed to get to the Diagnostic Centre whereupon to our chagrin, we found it closed.

I then got her to a local private hospital where they have ulra sound....but unfortunately, the doctor was not on duty. They said they will try to contact him to see if he will come in as an emergency and we need to wait. They hooked her up to various devices but by now she was in extreme pain. After a couple of hours, they said that they could not contact the doctor and we need to go to the "Big City" where ultra sound would be available. 2.5 hrs away. An ambulance would be contacted and they will take us there. But this is the Philippines. The ambulance could not take her because she does not live in the "Little Big City". We have to travel back to where we live and get an ambulance from there. And if we got one, a further 5 hrs to the"Big City". Meanwhile, I was trying to get her booked into a hospital at the "Big City".....but to no avail. All were full. Added to this, I had little money, no ATM or credit cards. Stolen previously. Her father got involved (who has friends in high places) to try and get an ambulance to go from where we live, to us, then on to the "Big City". Seemed reasonable. But oh no....this is the Philippines. The ambulance station said they could not pick up in the "Little Big City".....we have to travel back home....then they will take us. The route would take them via the "Little Big City" but that seemed lost on them. Then her father used his influence. He contacted the Mayor here and an ambulance was dispatched immediately. Bless him for that.

The stay in hospital went without further drama and she came out after 3 days with treatment for her enlarged liver. But I can tell you this....that must have been the most traumatic few hours of my life. A wife crying out in extreme pain, no hospital to attend to her, and no access to funds. I forgot to mention that the ambulance driver went to the nearest hospital in the "big city" that was full and demanded that they admit her. She was in extreme distress at that point.

I never want to be in that situation again. Its not always much more fun in the Philippines.

Just been informed that she had a Myoma causing her menstrual problems. Think its a form or polyp.

Regards
Old Jan 16th 2019, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like where you are living is remote. Would it not be wise to relocate to another place which has better facilities should you or your wife need them.We have 2 large hospitals within 8klms of where we live. Getting an ambulance or driving there would present no problems.Most of our neighbours have cars and would certainly run us to an hospital should the need arise.
I was going to suggest that you purchase a car, however the distance to the nearest hospital would still be a problem.I know that owning a car for you could present other problems (family taxi etc.) but has a Foreigner I find a car a necessity and certainly would not avail myself to use Jeepneys or other modes of ill equipped transport.A car certainly gives us freedom of movement, and more important independence .
Old Jan 16th 2019, 8:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Do cities in the Philippines have names?
Old Jan 16th 2019, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
But what her mother didn't mention was it was closed on weekends. She was in pain so advised her to sit in the middle of the bus rather at the front where the ride would be more comfortable. That fell on deaf ears. Why do they always want to sit at the front?
I have no idea, but my missus used to try and get me to sit in the front of Jeepneys, I declined saying I would rather sit in the back so if we hit anything there would be plenty of bodies to cushion the impact.She claimed I was cruel but I have noticed she sits in the back when she is off to town.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Mikek1,...

I acknowledge your very fair point. But its a question of pro's and con's. I do live in a relatively small city only about 10 mins walk from the beach and I dislike large cities. I have got to know the people here both locals and the small number of ex-pats. I absolutely love the place and I wanted her to be near her family because she has been away from them for so long. Ok...big mistake there. The major problem as you say is lack of adequate health facilities and it is a worry. But I mentioned the newly built hospital on the edge of town which at the moment is in limbo because of a squabble between the Mayor and its owners. The Mayor has even instructed ambulances not to pick up from the hospital which indicates how vitriolic the squabble is. I pity the people here who have been seriously disadvantaged by this. But hopefully, this problem will resolve itself. The owners must be losing money hand over fist and the Mayor is under investigation by Duterte's hit squad. He will also leave his post next year. Its eerie going there. Empty wards and corridors and a handful of staff who are very efficient and helpful. I tried 3 hospitals to get my wife into 5 hrs away....but they were full. And here is a brand new hospital just 30 mins away .....empty. Such a waste. And such a crime.

Also we have no Malls here. Thankfully. Some have tried to locate here but the Mayors wife has a two bit grocery shop here which she wants to protect. So no Malls have been allowed a permit to trade.

Expatrick....Cities have not been named because I wish to keep my anonymity. Sorry about that....
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Expatrick....Cities have not been named because I wish to keep my anonymity. Sorry about that....
Ah, ok.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikek1
Sounds like where you are living is remote. Would it not be wise to relocate to another place which has better facilities should you or your wife need them.We have 2 large hospitals within 8klms of where we live. Getting an ambulance or driving there would present no problems.Most of our neighbours have cars and would certainly run us to an hospital should the need arise.
I was going to suggest that you purchase a car, however the distance to the nearest hospital would still be a problem.I know that owning a car for you could present other problems (family taxi etc.) but has a Foreigner I find a car a necessity and certainly would not avail myself to use Jeepneys or other modes of ill equipped transport.A car certainly gives us freedom of movement, and more important independence .
I have a car but it is only used once a month on the main shop/bank in main town, all other times jeepney, buss, tricycle etc are used. Never been a family taxi as no means no. The only downfall of owning a car was that my missus wanted to learn to drive, excuse - just in case I got ill and she could drive me to hospital, I explained that I did not want to arrive with a heart attack as well, couple of days with the hump and it has never been spoken about since
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings...

Ah yes...."Teef men" as they were called when I was in Sierra Leone, W. Africa. They used long poles and would remove what they could through the bars, but thankfully we were never robbed.

Hospital Admission... She had been suffering from abdominal pains and on one occasion a couple of weeks ago, they were so severe that I whisked her to the new hospital on the edge of town. Although brand new, they have limited facilities and just one doctor. Reason being of a dispute between the private owner and the Mayor who will not sanction any further development. Long story. Anyway, they made various checks and sent us on our way armed with pain killers saying that she needs an ultra sound scan if the pain re-appears. The next day which was a Saturday, we legged it to the "Little Big City" about 2.5 hrs away and halfway to the "Big City" I wanted to check about the preparations she had to make as advised the day before...i.e. fasting etc. But no....she said it would be OK. Her mother said so. But what her mother didn't mention was it was closed on weekends. She was in pain so advised her to sit in the middle of the bus rather at the front where the ride would be more comfortable. That fell on deaf ears. Why do they always want to sit at the front? We arrived after 2.5hrs and her pain was acute and we managed to get to the Diagnostic Centre whereupon to our chagrin, we found it closed.

I then got her to a local private hospital where they have ulra sound....but unfortunately, the doctor was not on duty. They said they will try to contact him to see if he will come in as an emergency and we need to wait. They hooked her up to various devices but by now she was in extreme pain. After a couple of hours, they said that they could not contact the doctor and we need to go to the "Big City" where ultra sound would be available. 2.5 hrs away. An ambulance would be contacted and they will take us there. But this is the Philippines. The ambulance could not take her because she does not live in the "Little Big City". We have to travel back to where we live and get an ambulance from there. And if we got one, a further 5 hrs to the"Big City". Meanwhile, I was trying to get her booked into a hospital at the "Big City".....but to no avail. All were full. Added to this, I had little money, no ATM or credit cards. Stolen previously. Her father got involved (who has friends in high places) to try and get an ambulance to go from where we live, to us, then on to the "Big City". Seemed reasonable. But oh no....this is the Philippines. The ambulance station said they could not pick up in the "Little Big City".....we have to travel back home....then they will take us. The route would take them via the "Little Big City" but that seemed lost on them. Then her father used his influence. He contacted the Mayor here and an ambulance was dispatched immediately. Bless him for that.

The stay in hospital went without further drama and she came out after 3 days with treatment for her enlarged liver. But I can tell you this....that must have been the most traumatic few hours of my life. A wife crying out in extreme pain, no hospital to attend to her, and no access to funds. I forgot to mention that the ambulance driver went to the nearest hospital in the "big city" that was full and demanded that they admit her. She was in extreme distress at that point.

I never want to be in that situation again. Its not always much more fun in the Philippines.

Just been informed that she had a Myoma causing her menstrual problems. Think its a form or polyp.

Regards
Just see your ref. to Sierra L. We were there until the coup happened and then lost everything, got evacuated. Hope you have happier memories.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Happy memories before the nonsense. Star beer on the ferry on the way from Lungi to Aberdeen.
Sorry for the thread drift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.