Me and My Family

Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Me and My Family

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Drive by shootings are not unknown in the Philippines, I'd stay well clear of money lending.
It is not really money lending, it is just letting some family members and a few close friends borrow a bit to tide them over or start some sort of business ( hand tools to make bamboo furniture or similar ). As for drive-by shootings, if you had seen the state of the road/tracks round the village here, a swift walk-by would end up with someone falling over.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
It is not really money lending, it is just letting some family members and a few close friends borrow a bit to tide them over or start some sort of business ( hand tools to make bamboo furniture or similar ). As for drive-by shootings, if you had seen the state of the road/tracks round the village here, a swift walk-by would end up with someone falling over.
Just remember, the tagalog for loan is gift.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Just remember, the tagalog for loan is gift.
I learned that one yeas ago, but have now worked out that the closer the relative the truer it becomes. The only three who have paid back on time and in full were not relatives at all.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks again for all your replies and interest. Went to the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and now our freezer is stuffed full of meat. Not seen anything disappearing out of the front or back door .... yet. Will be interesting to see how her generous monthly household food allowance goes. If she runs short, then questions will be asked.

Re mobile phone "load". Opting to stick with Globe at 200 peso pm. Now have Viber.

I have given her a "loan" of 10k peso for a dabble in the rice business. She and her uncle (a pastor) reckon there is money to be made in buying rice from the farmer at harvest time later this month and selling it on. Not particularly convinced there is a lot to be made in this, but it gives her another sense of purpose which she thrives on. Who knows...we might be millionaires next year... :-) We shall see.

All for now

Regards all

Last edited by Bob; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:05 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update Pete. Pleased things seem a lot more settled! Be interesting to see if your "loan" gets repaid with interest. Do she and her uncle have buyers for the rice yet?
Old Aug 16th 2015, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

From moneylending to speculating in rice futures. Whatever next ?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks quiltman. I do not expect my gf to repay the loan and interest was certainly not mentioned. She is after all, my partner. I have loaned her money in the past and she has always repaid which I have refused. However, they have always been 1 or 2k only. 10k is not too much to lose. She knows the score..... she has 10k and nothing more will be forthcoming. Importantly, she is happy with the opportunity and challenge she has been given. I know she will thrive on that.

Scot47.... unless I am sadly mistaken, she is buying rice from a farmer and then retailing it. Completely different to speculating in rice. Whatever next? This forum will be the first to know.

Regards

Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks quiltman. I do not expect my gf to repay the loan and interest was certainly not mentioned. She is after all, my partner. I have loaned her money in the past and she has always repaid which I have refused. However, they have always been 1 or 2k only. 10k is not too much to lose. She knows the score..... she has 10k and nothing more will be forthcoming. Importantly, she is happy with the opportunity and challenge she has been given. I know she will thrive on that.

Scot47.... unless I am sadly mistaken, she is buying rice from a farmer and then retailing it. Completely different to speculating in rice. Whatever next? This forum will be the first to know.

Regards
We await the result with bated breath! good on you for letting her try. Maybe a silly question, but what has her uncle, the pastor, to do with this? Is he letting her sell the rice at Church? Just curious.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 9:46 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:48 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
I just have a feeling there will be more to it than this, if past events are anything to go by. But as you say, it's not a lot of money and it sounds like you're having a great time. Do keep us updated, I feel, in some small way, a part of this adventure

Old Aug 17th 2015, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry Quiltman, I neglected your question in your previous post. I have no idea if she and the pastor have buyers. I suspect he is in "the know" and has contacts. I suspect he will be doing most of the donkey work and taking a good cut. It was his idea and asked my gf for involvement because I am a "rich foreigner". He lives hours away by bus and I am leaving the detail of the business to her although I know she will liaise with me which will probably include a few "field trips" by us both. She is happy....therefore so am I.

Regards

Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry Quiltman, I neglected your question in your previous post. I have no idea if she and the pastor have buyers. I suspect he is in "the know" and has contacts. I suspect he will be doing most of the donkey work and taking a good cut. It was his idea and asked my gf for involvement because I am a "rich foreigner". He lives hours away by bus and I am leaving the detail of the business to her although I know she will liaise with me which will probably include a few "field trips" by us both. She is happy....therefore so am I.

Regards
As long as the "field trips" do not include spending the day up to your bits in a muddy field planting rice seedling - tried that and from then on happily paid P40+ for rice.

Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Nope.....you wont catch me doing that. InVinoVeritas.... Again nope. She has 10k, and that is that. She knows the score. I want her to do well and will give all the support I can except extra money. I think any profits will be divided between ploughing it back into the business and sharing with her family. She has already enlisted a paid helper...another uncle. Again, I am not aware of details because there are none at the moment. The harvesting begins soon at end of August and all will become clear then and she will keep me up to speed then. I wish her the best of luck...she deserves nothing less. Bless her.

Regards

Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:59 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.....you wont catch me doing that. InVinoVeritas.... Again nope. She has 10k, and that is that. She knows the score. I want her to do well and will give all the support I can except extra money. I think any profits will be divided between ploughing it back into the business and sharing with her family. She has already enlisted a paid helper...another uncle. Again, I am not aware of details because there are none at the moment. The harvesting begins soon at end of August and all will become clear then and she will keep me up to speed then. I wish her the best of luck...she deserves nothing less. Bless her.

Regards
Sorry, I didn't mean more money, I meant more developments.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 9:47 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Regards
Harvest at the end of August sounds early, but that is based on North Panay conditions, we don't expect the first harvest until end Sept. Not too sure, but we are about to enter the worst El Nino since 1997 or before, normally shortage of supply favors the middle men in these hard times, could be a good time to get into the business. If not the pastor will have advise his flock to buy their rice at his place.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 11th 2017 at 9:47 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 5:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Note:

Per the OPs request Pasalubong posts are now in a thread of their own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.