Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Mandatory Exiting the Philippines after 3 yrs

Mandatory Exiting the Philippines after 3 yrs

Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mandatory Exiting the Philippines after 3 yrs

Greetings,

I thought that as this is an important subject applicable to those of us on a Tourist Visa, I would start a new thread and not get it lost in my usual blog.

As you know, we on a tourist visa have to leave the Philippines after 3 yrs and then if we wish return 24 hrs later. I have to leave the Philippines before April next year and considering taking my lovely lady with me for a few days. She has a current passport being ex OFW.

What I am looking for are recommendations for a non-expensive place to visit. Thailand is out of the question because I believe they have the death penalty or similar for those such as me who carry out the heinous crime of using E-cigs. My lovely lady is not keen on exotic food....whatever that means!

Also, I am aware of the requirements of the Exit Clearance. However, can someone clarify that when I apply for this, am I required to supply flight details or is it valid for any date over a set period of time.

Many thanks
Old Dec 21st 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Exiting the Philippines after 3 yrs

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
What I am looking for are recommendations for a non-expensive place to visit.
If you are looking for cheap, I hear that North Korea are offering special offers.

Joking apart if your gf is interested in winter sports there are some cheap flights from Clark to South Korea during the Olympics and they are offering some good deals on the tickets to see events. Don't know what your budget is but Qatar Airways are doing a Manila>London return for P37k, then you could show her a damp and grey winters day in London. Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau seem to be the favoured destination for most visa renewal trips but the cheap flights all seem to go from Clark with Cebu Pacific.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I would head to Hong Kong myself, 1.30 hr flight is cheap and your lovely lady doesn't need a visa. Are you married or gf as taking a gf out of the country can be problematic. I has been known for them to be refused departure at the airport.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

have a look at Kota kinabalu, not sure if it goes from Cebu. Does fly from manila.

Have u married yet, if so it will be a cheap balikbayan run for you once a year and no messing with ACR cards etc
Old Dec 21st 2017, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding exit you do require an exit clearance cert (ECC) details on BI website. The exit visa takes 3 to 7 working days and requires two visits to BI, one to apply and the second to collect ECC. I believe the ECC is valid for up to a month.
As mikemike implied Balik Bayan is the way to go so hurry up and get hitched. Also as a BB you do not require an exit ticket when entering Phils. Happy Xmas!
Old Dec 21st 2017, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pete,

We went to Hong Kong 3 weeks ago to renew our Balikbayan visa. It was only a flying visit and we stayed for 2 nights in the Kowloon district. We found Hong Kong very expensive.Eating out was costly, and the hotel was Php 27k for the 2 nights, admittedly it was a 5 star, but compared to a similar Manila hotel it was definitely no comparison.

We are happy to admit that future trips to renew our visa will not be necessary. Our previous threads mentioned the difficulty in obtaining authenticated marriage certificate requirement for a 13A visa. we mangaged to overcome this by sending our apostllle certificate to the Philippines embassy in London by DHL ,along with the £23.00 fee.Because our marriage certificate was an apostllle certified by the government office there was no need for a personal appearance.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Regarding exit you do require an exit clearance cert (ECC) details on BI website. The exit visa takes 3 to 7 working days and requires two visits to BI, one to apply and the second to collect ECC. I believe the ECC is valid for up to a month.
As mikemike implied Balik Bayan is the way to go so hurry up and get hitched. Also as a BB you do not require an exit ticket when entering Phils. Happy Xmas!
Are you 100% sure about the return/onward ticket? This comes up many times and general consensus is, that although it may not be required by BI, not many airlines are aware of that and are insisting on the ticket.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am sure and below is the text from an email from BI. I always carry a printed copy and show to check in staff. I suggest that people on BB status email BI asking the question about a month before they are due to travel. The reply usually arrives in a couple of days.
[email protected]
19/05/2016

to me
Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Good day. Please be informed that as a British national married to a Philippine citizen you may be admitted in the Philippines under Balikbayan Privilege wherein you may stay in the country for 1 year without having to pay any immigration fees. Kindly be informed that you are not required to present a return or onward ticket. Just be sure that you will be travelling together with your spouse and present proof such as your marriage certificate. For further information on this kindly click the link provided below:

Balikbayan Privilege
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I forgot to add a Very Happy Christmas to all fellow forum readers
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

We got asked where our onward flight ticket was when leaving Hong Kong. Never been asked before on our many visits to the Philippines. Neither my wife or I hold Filipino passports. We explained to the over zealous check in attendant that we live in the Philippines and we are married. The attendant called her supervisor who checked our passports and we were given the all clear.
Incidentally, a Filipino is allowed 2 weeks in Hong Kong as a tourist, without needing any visa.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Yes I am sure and below is the text from an email from BI. I always carry a printed copy and show to check in staff. I suggest that people on BB status email BI asking the question about a month before they are due to travel. The reply usually arrives in a couple of days.
[email protected]
19/05/2016

to me
Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Good day. Please be informed that as a British national married to a Philippine citizen you may be admitted in the Philippines under Balikbayan Privilege wherein you may stay in the country for 1 year without having to pay any immigration fees. Kindly be informed that you are not required to present a return or onward ticket. Just be sure that you will be travelling together with your spouse and present proof such as your marriage certificate. For further information on this kindly click the link provided below:

Balikbayan Privilege
Message sent, many thanks for the info.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings!

Many thanks for your helpful comments. In answer to one of the questions, we are not married yet but intend to take advantage of departing from Manila to visit the British Embassy to acquire the necessary document to show that I am legal to marry. Unless there is a Consul or similar in Cebu where I can obtain the necessary document, it looks like we will have to leave from Manila.

Not sure why a Balikbayan is an advantage if you have to leave the Phils each year to renew. The 8 hr return journey to renew every 6 months for 3 yrs is bad enough, but the trip to Manila to leave the Phils each year sounds more expensive.....and daunting.

A trip to the UK was mentioned. I very much doubt if my lovely lady could get a visa for that as much as I would like to go.

Hong Kong looks favourite at the moment as it appears cheaper although I understand it is more expensive whilst there. A friend went to Macao for his visa run. Must ask him more about that.

Thanks again

Wish you all a Happy New Year!
Old Dec 30th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Greetings!

Many thanks for your helpful comments. In answer to one of the questions, we are not married yet but intend to take advantage of departing from Manila to visit the British Embassy to acquire the necessary document to show that I am legal to marry. Unless there is a Consul or similar in Cebu where I can obtain the necessary document, it looks like we will have to leave from Manila.
For a 'certificate of no impedance', contact your last council office in the UK and ask if they can issue you one. You will have to send them a copy of your divorce papers. I contacted them by phone, emailed the relevant documents and my potential wife picked up the certificate about a week later, can't remember if she had to pay anything, but if if she did it was not much.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

we did the kota kinabalu run . Two hour flight and no where near the expense of HK or macau. As it is a visa run hotels are not going to be booked for extended periods

Once you are settled you can book flights months ahead on superb discounts. I know some who never leave the airport!! just a fast change around to meet the visa need etc.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Greetings!

Thanks both. I will have to look into Kota Kinabalu as I have never heard of it before. It sounds like a desert Island in the middle of nowhere although I seem to think its in Indonesia or somewhere similar. Is there much to do there to sustain a few days stay?

Surprised about being able to obtain a legal capacity from the UK although it makes sense. But all the info I have seen states clearly it should be obtained from the British Embassy. I think perhaps its an assumption that the UK is a long way to go for a legal document.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.