Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Managing your visas in old age

Managing your visas in old age

Old Oct 12th 2018, 8:06 am
Just Joined

salgoud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Managing your visas in old age

Hi,

I have been contemplating retirement to the Philippines for some time now and have read up on many forums and vlogs on the pros and cons. However most posts relate to living and visa issues for the 'healthy' 50/60 somethings, where no one has considered their status in their later years 80/90's where they may be bedridden or non compos mentis.

How would such a person renew their visitor visas etc , or the annual renewal of the SRRV visa (or cancellation to retrieve deposit for health care etc).

Most views I have received so far is that they should return to their home country. That is not what I would consider retirement for life, as I would have no one or home to return to. My financial commitment (state pension + small private pension + some savings) to retirement in the Philippines necessitates that I cut off all ties in the UK.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or have knowledge of anyone who has had to encounter such issues.

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2018, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Managing your visas in old age

Welcome to the forum salgoud.

For a tourist visa which can be renewed every 6 months, this can be renewed by someone acting on your behalf if you cannot make it to the BI office due to ill-health. I believe that the person representing you will require a doctors note and probably some sort of affidavit. But it should not represent a problem. For the SRRV, you will be required to attend for an Annual Report and I assume the same procedure will apply.

HTH
Old Oct 12th 2018, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Welcome to the forum salgoud.

For a tourist visa which can be renewed every 6 months, this can be renewed by someone acting on your behalf if you cannot make it to the BI office due to ill-health. I believe that the person representing you will require a doctors note and probably some sort of affidavit. But it should not represent a problem. For the SRRV, you will be required to attend for an Annual Report and I assume the same procedure will apply.

HTH
Thanks Philosophical, so the wise decision should be having a SRRV, Since if near 3 year stay it would require a 24 hour visa run out of the country, not practical and probably would not be permitted by the airlines for an impaired traveller. So near life's end cancelling the SRRV may also be an issue, probably having to trust an affidavit process to switch to a tourist visa for the deposit return into ones estate. I have heard that if one dies with an SRRV any claimants on the deposit will have a lengthy and costly procedure to endure. I'm starting to think that the SRRV deposit should be considered as a right off a (retirement privilege fee) and should not bank on it for ones estate and funeral costs etc.

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2018, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

S RRV used to have an annual report for the first renewal and then you can renew for three years at a time. They used to have postal renewal. Suggest you contact PRA and ask them direct
Old Oct 12th 2018, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
S RRV used to have an annual report for the first renewal and then you can renew for three years at a time. They used to have postal renewal. Suggest you contact PRA and ask them direct
SRRV visa is a postal renewal ( well LBC or DHL as the PRA does not trust Philpost not to steal the money ), you can renew every year or every 3 years, send them the money and a copy of your old card ( and a new photo if you have changed look ) and a few days later new card arrives. Not too sure what happens when you renew your passport but I assume you just send the new and old with your annual renewal and they sort it out with the BI.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
SRRV visa is a postal renewal ( well LBC or DHL as the PRA does not trust Philpost not to steal the money ), you can renew every year or every 3 years, send them the money and a copy of your old card ( and a new photo if you have changed look ) and a few days later new card arrives. Not too sure what happens when you renew your passport but I assume you just send the new and old with your annual renewal and they sort it out with the BI.
Thanks Stokkevn,that's reassuring info.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Funnily Stokkevn, I just asked this question of the PRA when I renewed my SRRV as my passport is due for renewal in the next few months! Their answer was 1. either give both passports to them plus 10K , they send them to Manila for the visa to be transferred to the new passport. BUT they said it can take up to 3 MONTHS. 2.Just keep both passports to show. This is what used to happen with USA multiple visas years ago. This has now changed, you are supposed to submit your new passport , but in practice(according to my friend) US immigration is fine with the visa being in your old passport until it expires, but Australia requires you to submit your new passport to have the visa transferred. I know for other visas here you have to go to Manila and get them transferred but the SRRV is a permanent visa so maybe that's why you can use both passports.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salgoud
Hi,

I have been contemplating retirement to the Philippines for some time now and have read up on many forums and vlogs on the pros and cons. However most posts relate to living and visa issues for the 'healthy' 50/60 somethings, where no one has considered their status in their later years 80/90's where they may be bedridden or non compos mentis.

How would such a person renew their visitor visas etc , or the annual renewal of the SRRV visa (or cancellation to retrieve deposit for health care etc).

Most views I have received so far is that they should return to their home country. That is not what I would consider retirement for life, as I would have no one or home to return to. My financial commitment (state pension + small private pension + some savings) to retirement in the Philippines necessitates that I cut off all ties in the UK.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or have knowledge of anyone who has had to encounter such issues.

Thanks
Dear Salgoud

If you are in "later years 80/90's where they may be bedridden or non compos mentis.", renewing your visa would be the least of your worries. How would you plan to exist here?, shopping, cooking eating, getting out etc etc. I think most of us are expecting our Filipino wives, girlfriends, to take care of us. If I did not have mine to look after me in later years, I certainly would not venture into any sort of retirement here.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Also satellite offices are being opened in SM. Our new office is 3 weeks old in the basement and very swish also covers other government functions,

So now I do not lose 6/8 hours of sweaty polluted travel time each year to pay 310pesos. Now its a 10 minute trike ride, followed by a coffee with cheescake to make sure I spend the travel cost savings. Pinoy style savings.)
Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Also satellite offices are being opened in SM. Our new office is 3 weeks old in the basement and very swish also covers other government functions,

So now I do not lose 6/8 hours of sweaty polluted travel time each year to pay 310pesos. Now its a 10 minute trike ride, followed by a coffee with cheescake to make sure I spend the travel cost savings. Pinoy style savings.)
Useful info Mike, but in the scenario that Salgoud is describing, a 10 minute trike ride could be unmanageable.

Last edited by David Mashael; Oct 17th 2018 at 10:05 am. Reason: typo
Old Oct 17th 2018, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

If he is concerned about that level of support he should not move anywhere that does not have a social safety net
Old Oct 18th 2018, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

If he is concerned about that level of support he should not move anywhere that does not have a social safety net
Absolutely agree, as I said in my earlier post.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Dear Salgoud

If you are in "later years 80/90's where they may be bedridden or non compos mentis.", renewing your visa would be the least of your worries. How would you plan to exist here?, shopping, cooking eating, getting out etc etc. I think most of us are expecting our Filipino wives, girlfriends, to take care of us. If I did not have mine to look after me in later years, I certainly would not venture into any sort of retirement here.
Yes, right no point leaving home country to retire alone. I have my partner a well trained and experienced Filipino Nurse 58 years with whom we will most probably retire (far from the maddening crowd. i.e family) somewhere in the Philippine islands. I believe most of my questions on my legal status have been answered (i.e. if I become impaired preventing me in renewing my SRRV). As for the 10K deposit I think that has to be written off as it looks quite burdensome and costly for it to be left to my partner in my will. Maybe I should have some cash set aside for her to claim the SRRV deposit through the legal bureaucracy.

PAI say that the SRRV deposit is to be used in the advent of death, what that means exactly is not clear, does it mean it is used to cover any outstanding debts, obligations and funeral costs if these have not already been catered for from ones estate?

Thanks all
Old Oct 19th 2018, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

What it means is your estate will get nothing back

By the time they have deducted fees and other costs all of which will take time and more time like years there will only be enough deposit to cover all those costs.

In effect write it off

this was the key reason i left the scheme as we got married and i transferred to 13A. All our funds are now in the UK and they will not be troubled by UK inheritance tax at present limits and exemptions.

Seems to me that you are both of an age where marriage is not such a bad option. I do not know what your company schemes rules are but they may allow death in service pension payments to your wife.

Not sure if under present rules if you get married i the UK then your wife may get a pension in event of your death as she will not be seen as a nasty horrible foreigner.

Others here will have a better understanding of how this works/
Old Oct 19th 2018, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Following up on mikemike's last comment. I suggest that you follow up on this link. https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-suppo...what-youll-get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.