iponan

Old Sep 12th 2019, 4:44 am
Just Joined

ellisiana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: iponan

Hi Frank 2

Not sure if you have moved to Iponan yet, in case you haven't here are my observations.

We live in CDO and Iponan is just west of CDO (20 minutes or so) on the main National Highway to the new Langandingan Airport. It is also the coast road so Iponan is pretty much at sea level. A consideration if you are wanting to distance yourself from any possible flooding which is quite common here in rainy season, or, heaven forbid, any Tsunami threat! There are occasional, thankfully minor, earthquakes here, but it only takes one major one offshore! Northern Mindanao is rarely affected by typhoons, which tend to strike much further north.

My wife has family living in Iponan. It is a relatively poor area.
Just because your wife lives there, even BECAUSE your wife lives there, does not mean that you have to live there. Personally, I would not choose to live in Iponan. I would live uptown, which I do, which is about 20 to 30 minutes from Iponan. Much better all round. Much more affluent with better facilities, fresher air and usually a nice breeze. There is also a new hospital being built there which may or may not be a consideration. All the high end sub-divisions are uptown, notably, Xavier Estates, Pueblo and Gran Europa subdivisions which are much nicer places to live.

There is a local expat saying, always live at least two islands away from your wifes family! In our case I must say my wifes family are lovely. Very independent and hard working. But I guess I struck lucky. You do though, hear of many horror stories, in which case the above maxim would definately be worth adhering to.
Whatever you choose to do, I would test the water before making any long term commitment to any particular location. Rent a place, get a feel for the local area, and also other areas that may present themselves which may suit you better.

Good luck!

Last edited by ellisiana; Sep 12th 2019 at 5:11 am.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 8:52 am
Just Joined

FreeToChat is an unknown quantity at this point

The advice to rent first for at least a year is sound. First, any purchase you make will be in the name of your GF. You cannot own property. Second, and most important, you have to consider your life. Just because your GF wants to be near to family doesn't make it suitable for you. Stresses living in PH makes life not easy, but if you are unhappy with your situation, then failure becomes simpler. It has been said many times before, the pressure on a relationship from family can be overbearing. Not necessarily for you but for your GF. The Filipino concept of 'obligation' is a whole new experience.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FreeToChat
The advice to rent first for at least a year is sound. First, any purchase you make will be in the name of your GF. You cannot own property. Second, and most important, you have to consider your life. Just because your GF wants to be near to family doesn't make it suitable for you. Stresses living in PH makes life not easy, but if you are unhappy with your situation, then failure becomes simpler. It has been said many times before, the pressure on a relationship from family can be overbearing. Not necessarily for you but for your GF. The Filipino concept of 'obligation' is a whole new experience.
Generally sound advice, except that a foreigner can indeed own property in Philippines, they cannot however, own land.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Generally sound advice, except that a foreigner can indeed own property in Philippines, they cannot however, own land.
Foreigners can not purchase land but they can inherit Philippine land if there is no will.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Foreigners can not purchase land but they can inherit Philippine land if there is no will.
They can inherit, but they have to dispose of it within a reasonable timeframe.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
They can inherit, but they have to dispose of it within a reasonable timeframe.
Correct, but I have never found out how long is "A reasonable time frame", even my local judge was unable to shed any light on it.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

FreeToChat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I am aware of many 'work arounds' being used, but in most things Filipino Law be aware that a decision may resemble nothing like what could be termed as reasonable according to law. I have seen foreigners try to have long term leases attached to land to protect themselves, but some have failed when acrimonious splits happen. Personally I invest only what I am prepared to lose.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FreeToChat
I am aware of many 'work arounds' being used, but in most things Filipino Law be aware that a decision may resemble nothing like what could be termed as reasonable according to law. I have seen foreigners try to have long term leases attached to land to protect themselves, but some have failed when acrimonious splits happen. Personally I invest only what I am prepared to lose.
Dead right, I think if my wife died before me I would most likely give the house away and move back to Norway