Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

How were retirees treated during Covid

How were retirees treated during Covid

Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default How were retirees treated during Covid

Just wondering how those on retirement visas feel they were treated during Covid. Pre-Covid I was thinking about spending time in a few different countries rather than settling in one but with the pandemic that might have been a disaster, on a tourist visa forced out or locked in to a country. Not for another year so hopefully retirement visas will be available again for PI (I will be 66 then) and not too onerous to meet the criteria. I have lived in Manila in the past but the carcinogenic pollution usually left me with a Covid-like cough, so that would probably not go down well with the populace - it was probably my body telling me to get out of there before my lungs gave out.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How were retirees treated during Covid

I'm not on a Retirement Visa. Up until recently I have been on Balik Bayan status for 8 years now converted to a Visa 13a. So I suppose my experience as a senior is pertinent. The organisation of SARS-2 vaccinations in Marikina was very well organised and I have no complaints. I am aware that in other parts of these islands similar positive experiences have been shared. So I hope others will enlighten you.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I had two attempts to get a vaccination, both times I was told my blood pressure was too high ( 165/95 normally it is 135/90 even in his health center ), a friendly judge had a word with the doctor doing the blood pressure tests and my BP was 172/95, answer from doctor was "Very good sir, very good, vaccination over there". So as the old saying goes 'it is not what you know but who know'.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

jaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond repute

If i was 172/95 i would NOT get the vaccine..i would wait until my BP was back to normal,just to be safe.I am all for the vaccine and it is effective,but it can and does raise your BP temporarily...or at least did in my case.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaygee68
If i was 172/95 i would NOT get the vaccine..i would wait until my BP was back to normal,just to be safe.I am all for the vaccine and it is effective,but it can and does raise your BP temporarily...or at least did in my case.
It was not that high, I think his machine was fixed as I had mine checked before and after at health center and at home that was between 132/84 and afterwards 138/83. Those that had high BP were expected to take a tablet from the doctor to reduce BP, I assume that is where he made his money as everyone complained about high BP there.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

On the OPs question I would say they treated Expat retirees like their own. That is a bit paternalistic. Correctly assumed to be of greater risk of being hospitalized and worse if we caught covid. That more of us Expats are fitter. don't live in crowded households, drive around rather than use public transport was, understandably, not taken into account. So entry to Malls, Restos.etc...even the Meralco office here was restricted at times to under 65s. But if you lied and looked younger you could get in. I was just stopped once when asked for ID.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the retirement visa and before Covid I thought it was an excellent visa being able to come and go in and out of country at will, no reporting and being able to pay for 3 years extension in advance. Sadly my views now are significantly less enthusiastic. Having a permanent visa but not being allowed to return..that's not right. Having now only being able to pay one year in advance because they let, and allowed chinese to abuse their own system, also not right. Denying those over 65 basic freedoms of coming and going, equally not right although Im under 65 but resent even being asked my age by some spotting faced secuity guard with a rusty gun and no bullets. And then the saga of trying to get an EED exit permit.. 3 months after I applied for 4th time still never heard anything from them. And then stating on their website they expect people to apply for " permission to leave " and then on return to Philippines notify PRA within 3 days of returning... thats kind of control is like traveling in China !
They took a good programme and spoilt it. No surprise there, we should remember where we live. So onw for me the programme is very average at best. I enjoy living here and am well used to the place,but when we are more free will buy a second home in Europe where I can stay 4 months a year without a tax problem and use that as a viable alternative to here.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Being under house arrest since March 2020 is being treared well, I guess everything is ok then.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Being under house arrest since March 2020 is being treared well, I guess everything is ok then.
in fairness they have done that with children as well as us foreigners, so we are not that special after all
Old Oct 11th 2021, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

A victory over covid will be declared here next year, even if it's still around. How things go here for the next 6 years then depends almost completely on the leader they choose next May. In the system here he or she may not belong to an established party.

Whoever they elect is unlikely to be so pro Chinese as the present. That's something most Western Expats will welcome. But someone equally authoritarian is still possible in a wide field, despite the splits on the right as there are also rivalling Opposition candidates and one or two in the centre. Which could mean more restrictions generally and maybe also for foreigners here. If another emergency hits the Philippines, similar measures to the lockdowns will be the ones preferred. A clashing President and vice President could be a complication again and this time the Vice President may not be a compliant woman.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Quoting Raffin
"Whoever they elect is unlikely to be so pro Chinese as the present."
Off topic I know but I do wonder how the CCP will manipulate next years election.
Old Oct 11th 2021, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Quoting Raffin
Off topic I know but I do wonder how the CCP will manipulate next years election.
Same as every election, vote buying money
Old Oct 11th 2021, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
Quoting Raffin
I think they'll be scratching their heads at the moment on what to do.
This article singles out Marcos as the most friendly:

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...-favourite-and

Or maybe their friendly present incumbent will either find a way to postpone the elections or follow Trump and try to overturn them. Although there is a late rush to register I think many won't make it and with the number of candidates it could be a close, contested result.