Health in the Philippines

Old Sep 17th 2022, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health in the Philippines

Greetings!

Thought I would give this a broad church title so that it can be added to as necessary.

Vitamins and health drinks.

Since arriving in the Philippines 8 years ago I have been suffering from colds. I don't use Aircon. Never had this problem in the UK nor any other overseas countries.

I have until very recently been using energy drinks daily and since I stopped I have had 2 periods of a very bad cold. The first, about a week ago which may have been the effect of Vax booster which laid me low for two days. Now suffering again for the 4th day. But cannot remember it being so bad previously.

Been told to use multi vitamins. I am always sceptical about vitamin supplements.... anyone have views on this? Or indeed make recommendations. So much to choose from out there. But my instinct tells me to go back to energy drinks....

Thanks!

Old Sep 17th 2022, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health in the Philippines

The cold viruses going around here may well be a somewhat different assortment from those in the UK. So you would likely have got a few more colds than normal, but then your immunity system should be giving you some protection. If it hasn't from what I've read taking vitamin pills isn't the answer, unless you have a poor diet, except perhaps vitamin D. Although I believe you are out and about so maybe you're getting enough UV Ray exposure.
Feeling stress and worrying a lot though, which you had some years of, may have reduced your immunity. Only a guess, but it must have been a step change from ​​​​​​what you faced in the UK.
On the energy drinks, they give activity a boost with sugar and caffeine so maybe then you were less sedentary, didn't expose yourself as much to catching one of the many different cold viruses that are floating around?
I've lived here double your time and don't get many colds, but mainly I think due to mixing less after retirement. But air borne allergens in seasonal wind conditions have been a problem for me n a few past years. Though less lately. So my immunity system may be working on them.
Allergy caused conditions may weaken resistance to colds. A couple of times I experienced the two conditions together.

Last edited by Raffin; Sep 17th 2022 at 9:56 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

It all comes down to a healthy lifestyle. Exercise, and a diet that does not include processed foods. Lots of veggies, fruit, fish and white meat.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Vitamins only make up for what is lacking in your diet. An exception possibly being Vit D.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

For how long have you been using energy drinks daily?
I'm sure you're aware that most energy drinks contain large amounts of sugar and caffeine, ingredients that are very bad when taken in excess - apart from the added risk of diabetes, one often overlooked effect is an increase in blood pressure.
A cause of frequent colds could be a disfunctioning immune system. One key to maintaining a healthy immune system is correct digestion and protecting gut health. Over consumption of energy drinks and their suger alcohol content has an adverse effect and is known to disrupt the gut micobiome.
As previously indicated it all comes down to maintaining a healthly lifestyle. Non-moderated alcohol consumption, the use of daily energy drinks and lack of excercise would not reflect a healthy lifestyle. Stress too has been shown to reduce ones immunity system.
You'd be wise to be more sceptical about energy drinks than vitamin supplements, although many of the latter should be avoided especially purchased via online sources. The only vitamin supplements myself and my wife take is D3 Biane, available in small bottled spray form from a local pharmacy. We started taking this as a recommendation at the start of the Covid outbreak, and like to think that this acted as a 'belt and braces' added protection at the same time as our Covid19 vaccinations.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your helpful replies!

Prior to coming to the Philippines I worked outside in all weathers and rarely had a problem with colds and flu etc. But the moment I stepped foot in the Philippines, problems began. But, it was something I coped with and accepted. Other, hot climates such as Italy, Hong Kong, Turkey and Cyprus was never a problem.

Other than that, I have no other problems. I keep myself relatively fit for my 74 year age. Certainly enjoy my walks every day and prefer to be outside rather than stuck indoors.

I eat fruit every day (banana and orange) and eat out every night. Ok, I sometimes over indulge in alcohol which stemmed from a difficult period over the past 3 years.

As far as energy drinks are concerned, I drink that during the day only supplemented with water. I guess I get through one bottle in maybe 3 days which I don't think is excessive.

I have a friend of mine who swears by vitamins , but he knocks back a handful each day. Certainly don't want to do that.

As I mentioned previously, I have accepted colds and flu but this one which I am now recovering from was the worst for as long as I can remember which prompted me to initiate this post.

I have now gone back to my energy drink and supplemented that with a multi vitamin tablet which the pharmacist says helps the immune system.

​​​​​​Maybe age is creeping up on me... but I had to smile when my very good friend here says that it could be my ex wife has hired a witch doctor! Ho hum!

Regards

Old Sep 18th 2022, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Thanks all for your helpful replies!

Prior to coming to the Philippines I worked outside in all weathers and rarely had a problem with colds and flu etc. But the moment I stepped foot in the Philippines, problems began. But, it was something I coped with and accepted. Other, hot climates such as Italy, Hong Kong, Turkey and Cyprus was never a problem.

Other than that, I have no other problems. I keep myself relatively fit for my 74 year age. Certainly enjoy my walks every day and prefer to be outside rather than stuck indoors.

I eat fruit every day (banana and orange) and eat out every night. Ok, I sometimes over indulge in alcohol which stemmed from a difficult period over the past 3 years.

As far as energy drinks are concerned, I drink that during the day only supplemented with water. I guess I get through one bottle in maybe 3 days which I don't think is excessive.

I have a friend of mine who swears by vitamins , but he knocks back a handful each day. Certainly don't want to do that.

As I mentioned previously, I have accepted colds and flu but this one which I am now recovering from was the worst for as long as I can remember which prompted me to initiate this post.

I have now gone back to my energy drink and supplemented that with a multi vitamin tablet which the pharmacist says helps the immune system.

​​​​​​Maybe age is creeping up on me... but I had to smile when my very good friend here says that it could be my ex wife has hired a witch doctor! Ho hum!

Regards
If you have just had a bad cold which you are struggling to get over there's probably more than a 50% chance it was Covid. There's still plenty of it around in the Philippines despite what the government is telling us.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to coming to the Philippines 15 years ago I used to get a cold about every 5 years and as far as I know never had flu but here I catch a 3-4 day cold about once a year and something else that I have is a 24 hour runny nose and the feeling I have been run over by a bus, no idea what that is. As for vitamins, avoid unless you are trying to target one particular problem. I only take vitamin B supplements when I can't get hold of Marmite as it is supposed to keep mosquitos away from you and it seems to work. Here you can see on TV the amount of adverts for one pill or another making you grow a foot taller or grow a new liver, problem is most believe them.
Old Sep 18th 2022, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody knows the true picture of Covid. Historically exceptional low testing, a disastrous take up on boosters. Why are people so surprised on the recent increase in cases when the schools have just reopened.
Phil, maybe up your effort regarding daily exercises. I'm 75, had Covid and had my four jabs, go to the gym most mornings at 06.00 enjoy a healthy diet and enjoy a few beers or G&T's as the mood dictates.

Old Sep 21st 2022, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Before you start taking pills, powders, and other supplements you'd better first take a very serious look at your eating and drinking habits (a.k.a. your diet). The word "supplement" is not chosen arbitrarily: it indicates something to supplement a shortcoming in your diet. Before resorting to supplements it is better to first finetune and improve your diet.
You write that you eat out a lot. Often is restaurant food not well-balanced: too much carbohydrates, the wrong types of oils and fats, and a shortage of proteins and vitamins&minerals. Add alcohol in the mix, which consists of more carbohydrates, and your total diet is completely out of balance. One orange and banana cannot compensate for this.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

And then people trawl the internet, not looking for useful information but for anything that supports their personal beliefs.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

It is no point going to doctor to find out what to do or what is wrong with you, at least one of the doctors at the major hospital here will not treat foreigners because they ask too many questions.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Antibiotic cream.

When I first came to the Philippines many moons ago, I mentioned that I had a blister caused by ill fitting running shoes. This got infected and it was suggested by someone here that I used this antibiotic cream. Name escapes me but it came in a small green tube. Anyone?

Failing that, I would appreciate recomdations as a good substitute.. Currently bed bound for two days now and unable to walk...or with great difficulty.

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2022, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Daktarin?
Old Sep 25th 2022, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Antibiotic cream.

When I first came to the Philippines many moons ago, I mentioned that I had a blister caused by ill fitting running shoes. This got infected and it was suggested by someone here that I used this antibiotic cream. Name escapes me but it came in a small green tube. Anyone?

Failing that, I would appreciate recomdations as a good substitute.. Currently bed bound for two days now and unable to walk...or with great difficulty.

Thanks
Oxytetracycline ( as hydrochloride )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.