Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Finding home comforts in Manila

Finding home comforts in Manila

Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Jstin4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding home comforts in Manila

Hi

I'm new to the expat community, I recently moved from S.London to Manila around 3 months ago. Been great so far! People here are warm and sunny (like the climate I guess )

But I have a question, and would greatly appreciate feedback from the online community:

I've spent the past few weekends and some evenings looking a place or store that provides or imports food from the UK. As awful as English cooking is compared to other cuisines I have to admit I am kind of missing home comforts. - I'm spoilt for choice in all other areas of world and filipino food, which is usually excellent here, but really finding it hard to cook meals similar to what I typically eat back home.

I guess for example my biggest concern is finding pretty simple tea brands, like PG tips. As well a few cooking ingredients etc. Snacks etc. Luckily I think I've found enough ingredients for a sunday roast, so that should cure my withdrawal symptons.

If anyone knows of any good stores that stock UK food please let me know. Likewise any British restaurants near Makati or Taguig?

- Any expats in Taguig feel free to get in touch

All the best

L
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Finding home comforts in Manila

Originally Posted by Jstin4
Hi

I'm new to the expat community, I recently moved from S.London to Manila around 3 months ago. Been great so far! People here are warm and sunny (like the climate I guess )

But I have a question, and would greatly appreciate feedback from the online community:

I've spent the past few weekends and some evenings looking a place or store that provides or imports food from the UK. As awful as English cooking is compared to other cuisines I have to admit I am kind of missing home comforts. - I'm spoilt for choice in all other areas of world and filipino food, which is usually excellent here, but really finding it hard to cook meals similar to what I typically eat back home.

I guess for example my biggest concern is finding pretty simple tea brands, like PG tips. As well a few cooking ingredients etc. Snacks etc. Luckily I think I've found enough ingredients for a sunday roast, so that should cure my withdrawal symptons.

If anyone knows of any good stores that stock UK food please let me know. Likewise any British restaurants near Makati or Taguig?

All the best

L
SM Hypermarket in Mandaluyong (My Local) has an Aisle for UK/US Foods (Heinz Beans, Baxters Soups, McVities Biscuits etc.) The Bakery is good if you go for the 'Diabetic Bread!' - Unlike the others, there is no Sugar in it! Lipton Tea (Yellow Label) is just as good as PG or Typhoo! The Packet Low Fat UHT Milk is about the closest alternative to Fresh Milk - Good enough for a Cuppa! There is a small Booze Shop on the Ground Floor, which has a good selection of Wines, and regular UK Spirits - Thankfully, not at UK Prices!

I have also tried Robinsons (Malate), but the choice is more limited, and stocks vary. The Food Aisles are also worth checking in the larger Mercury Drug Stores too.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I lived in Makati years ago, I was a bit young at the time and never went on my own. But there was an English pub in Greenbelt called 'Prince Charles'. Seem to remember it was full of British expats and they served fish and chips.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

limetree1 is an unknown quantity at this point

'Howzat' on Kalayaan Ave near Burgos, has a bit of a pub feel and sells some home comforts too. Enjoy
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

There is a shopping mall in Alabang called Fiesta Mal.
Off the highway take the Filinvest turning.
Ground level, right hand side of the main entrance (one of a few) is the "Union Jack" shop. Not a large place but all Uk stuff, Branston pickle, Marmite, biscuits etc. Christmas has the usual Chrissy puds.
There is also a small cafe that does snacks, we enjoy the soft boiled eggs and toast "soldiers" with a touch of Marmite.

Robinsons do have a good selection of imported cheese, we found some from Australia. Enjoy the harder Tasty one. Also found a jar of small white cocktail onions in vinegar. Choose your crackers carefully, some do have the dreaded sugar but others are fine. The "magic" are ok, as are the wholeWheat crackers by Rebisco.
glass of wine, toms, cucumber, cheese, pickles......mhmhm mouth watering stuff
Old Apr 10th 2011, 2:11 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I lived in Makati years ago, I was a bit young at the time and never went on my own. But there was an English pub in Greenbelt called 'Prince Charles'. Seem to remember it was full of British expats and they served fish and chips.
Its the Prince of Wales, in the New Plaza at greenbelt. There is also the Woodmans Head in PAdre Bugos at Makati - although its a girlie bar area the Head is ok. It sells a range of British foods - the stuff you are looking for, and provides English bar foods. Good crowd of expats and football on tv.

(As an aside - the girlie bars are good fun too)

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Apr 10th 2011 at 2:14 am.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

danglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nice

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get UK (imported) sausages and/or bacon in Manila?? I am not fond of the locally available versions.Thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

There is a store in Alabang called S & R that has packs of bacon without the sugar. You need to join the shop for the annual membership.
There are other imported products on sale but its worth the subscription for the bacon alone.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:22 am
Just Joined

bosh is an unknown quantity at this point

wow i had the same experience over the weekend, have been here a month and tried looking for some proper mustard, but only found the American hotdog kind....then i tried looking for some pork sausages, but they only had cheesy italian sausages (?!)....no bisto gravy either.

will check out the Fiesta Mall though!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 4:32 am
Just Joined

danglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nice

Useful stuff....thanks for all the inputs.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:37 am
Just Joined

englisharchie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jstin4
Hi

All the best

L
Ive recently taken up a condo in Lakeview Taguig would love to meet up for a coffee sometime maybe at market market centre, Have you found custard powder. Regards Archie
Regards Archie
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:50 am
Just Joined

mainalouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am new in this forum a Filipina married to British guy, Fortunately before we came over here,I managed to bring PG tips , mustard,bisto and some Coleman mix. Still he miss food from UK. We also live in Bonifacio Global City Taguig.

I have read some of the threads and see that UNION JACK in festival mall Alabang seems to be the only place to go. They sell UK products there and they also have a pub that serves Sunday roast.Have'nt tried it but it costs you 500 pesos per head.

You could also try and do your shopping at Rustan's supermarket in Makati, .

Hope this helps, although I'm from philippines still miss UK dishes.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Rustan's and Robinson's are good for some foreign foods, and SM is a good place to go too. They have a fair selection of cheeses.
I did notice that in the Duty Free (Balikbayan Plus) when I visited in the eighties and nineties, that there were a lot of imported foods available.

Here in Cebu Rosita's, White Gold, Gaisano (Mandaue particularly) and Fooda, in addition to the above, also stock limited foreign food. In White Gold sometimes they have "specials" such as ginger biscuits and the like.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

stevenmanila is an unknown quantity at this point

You should try Santis, there is a few around Manila.
http://www.werdenberg.com/santis/locations.html
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevenmanila
You should try Santis, there is a few around Manila.
http://www.werdenberg.com/santis/locations.html
I am on the lookout for Kippers, and Baked Beans! - Baked Beans that do not have 2Kgs of Sugar and 3 Kgs of Pork Fat in them? - Any suggestions for Heinz Baked Beans? - I have drawn blanks at SM Supermarkets and Robinsons!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.