Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

European expats living in the Philippines

European expats living in the Philippines

Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of
Default Re: European expats living in the Philippines

My background is engineering and so I'm fairly practical and prefer to be doing stuff more than reading books...however between selling houses i've gone thro' about 20 paperbacks including Inspector Morse hoho, all for 30 pesos each.
I am very keen on gardening and the water, made three marine ply boats with the help of a local filipino group and on the gardening side constructed a Japanese style garden with water feature and double gazebo.....all sold now and on the next one.
If you get bored in the Uk its at least bearable than the same thing here, with the warm weather and the extra free time we have.
Some guys meet single parent ladies of which there are very many and begin a second family. Mine fields doing this with traps of the original father sitting in the wings waiting to demand huge sums of money from new suitors. BUT the problems can be sorted out and there are some very attractive ladies seeking another father figure for their children.
Some fellows start a small bussiness of sorts, not to make pots of cash but just for fun. open a Carrenderia (spelt wrong) sell fish and chips, make toffee apples etc take your choice.
What ever you go for, be prepared to do it all on your own or with a partner.

Met a Chinese guy last year who's Filipino fiance took all his stock from his computor shop business he was starting. Unbeknown to him the boyfrined was still around and after party night where he was soused with alcohol, they took everything including his cell phone and clothes ????

Its an exciting life in the Philippines but you have to be carefull
Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes I get salt deficiency, cramps, constant thirst and the local Mercury Drug doesn't sell salt tablets, this is all due to over sweating, losing minerals etc. Best to avoid the sun, like the locals do,'mad dogs and Englishmen etc.

I have to agree with SunnyDays about Asian women, they ALL want you for your money, only a minority are really dishonest though, personally I avoid buying houses, businesses, cars, anything in the name of a Filipina wife,

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 15th 2012 at 3:13 am.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

blackbear1137 is an unknown quantity at this point

spent 6 weeks there last year, by 2 3 weeks heat wasnt a problem.. maybe im lucky.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

It does sound bad when you know that all the Filipino ladies want us for is our money. If you rephrase that and use financial security in lieu of money then its is more reasonable.
There are ambitious ladies who will sacrifice all to "hook" you into marriage and provide for her extended family, but there are others more humble and without too many burdens ...... horses for courses??
Most of us marry ladies from impoverished backgrounds who are generally half our age and I've met some happy relationships. I've also seen some sad cases but you should choose carefully and make the rules.

My wife was a 40 year old maid in Hongkong when we met and she had worked in other countries supplying her bro and sis in Laguna for 20 years.

Reading of "situations" with foreigners over finacial support I visted her family before popping the question and learnt of what support I would be liable for.

That was 15 years ago...
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Did you buy a house/business/car in her name, sunnydays?
if you do that is when the fun begins, then they have a big incentive to get rid of you, you become surplus to requirements, then, as thousands of men have found out. The "brother" will be revealed as her boyfriend, you are in severe danger,

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 15th 2012 at 9:47 am.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Did you buy a house/business/car in her name, sunnydays?
if you do that is when the fun begins, then they have a big incentive to get rid of you, you become surplus to requirements, then, as thousands of men have found out. The "brother" will be revealed as her boyfriend, you are in severe danger,
You sound very bitter. Maybe you got hooked up with a bar girl and she fleeced you? Cue the "you can take a girl out of the bar but you cant take the bar out of the girl" comments. Most Filipinas are extremeely honest and genuine.
From someone who lost a 500.000 pound house in England to a money grabbing white woman!!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not bitter in the slightest, I have simply graduated from the water buffalo university of Asian ladies. My former neighbour, Canadian, had cancer and he asked his family to send him some cash to pay for the treatment, and his wife put it all in her account, but then did a runner with the half million pesos, and he died a few months later.
Of course I know there are good ladies in Philippines, my posts are to be read in parallel with the positive ones, I am not arguing with you.
Yes women are the same everywhere, but the poverty here means that many women are desperate and will do anything to "hook" a foreigner.
Sorry to hear about the white woman, did she scam you, or just legally take your hard earned assets ? I guess the second, and probably your kids and car, like many of us

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 15th 2012 at 12:25 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Excuse this joke but the last post brought back memories......

They say that some women are like Typhoons,
when they come they're wet and windy.
When they leave they take your house and car...
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha, typhon, i like it,
Women are also like the suits in a deck of cards, at first you think you have a diamond, she is always in your heart, but at the end you wish you had a club and a spade

At least we are free in a country with young sexy ladies, despite everything yeah!! Woohoo

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 15th 2012 at 1:41 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

The second legal way!!
I am just always amazed at the number of expats who meet Filipinas on online dating sites or in bars in Angeles or Subic bay and then get ripped off by them.And even more amazed how shocked they are!!
There are thousands of beautiful, sexy and educated Filipinas here and overseas. "You can take a girl out of the bar etc". Just a warning for the "Innocents Abroad" who turn up here with increasing frequency!!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

As i said before, ALL filipinas only want you for your money, they can now buy luxuries for their kids, for their family and for themselves. Your position of importance to them will below their family and friends.

Of course filipinas in such a relatively good financial position ,they make good wives AS long you keep giving them cash, they well know the alternatives , earning 3 or 4 dollars a day selling fish in the market or working in a shop down the mall for 5 dollars a day. IF you don't believe me, try telling them your money has run out, then you will how much they really value you, if you are lucky you will get out alive.

Haha, i like the euphemism, "give them financial security", how about "excavating for yellow precious metals" ?

Some guys on here seem to pedastalise women, WRONG, they will never respect you for that. Women here are very simple creatures, they want your cash, as long as it keeps flowing they will be happy and you will be happy. Never buy a house, a car, a business in her name, she may be tempted to get rid of you. A lady near me has had 2 foreign husbands who disappeared in mysterious circumstances. Never count on local cops. There are no true laws as you know them in the Philippines.

If your cash stops flowing, get out QUICK , that is what the Carabou University of Asian ladies has taught me.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 16th 2012 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

robbo462003 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to thank all the people who took the time to reply to my post last month.The comments have now wandered off topic a little as i was really interested in how europeans were coping with the tropical climate.Not on the lovely ladies of the Philippines and their motives for hooking up with foreigners.However the replies are very entertaining.My opinion on the ladies I have met in the Phil is they are charming, fun loving and for the most part nice people.Financial security is high on their agenda and who can blame them.The european women I have met have the same agenda but are very much more independent than Filipinos.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Is the Carabou University in Angeles City? It never ceases to amaze me the number of expats who live with or marry a "bar girl" and then try and explain it by saying they only worked in a bar because they were poor. Most people go into prostitution for economic reasons but thats only a very small percentage.The vast majority hold down low paying jobs or work overseas to earn a bigger income.
People who wouldnt dream of marrying prostitutes in their own countries come over here and do exactly that and then complain they get ripped off!!!
"Caveat Emptor" or let the buyer beware!!!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

googly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desert-rat
Is the Carabou University in Angeles City? It never ceases to amaze me the number of expats who live with or marry a "bar girl" and then try and explain it by saying they only worked in a bar because they were poor. Most people go into prostitution for economic reasons but thats only a very small percentage.The vast majority hold down low paying jobs or work overseas to earn a bigger income.
People who wouldnt dream of marrying prostitutes in their own countries come over here and do exactly that and then complain they get ripped off!!!
"Caveat Emptor" or let the buyer beware!!!
Desert Rat,
Nice one!
Brussel sprout,
Our houses cars etc are all in my wifes name as SHE bought them!
Robbo,
Sorry we have wandered of your original topic but there are some bitter expats here that should just go back to where they came from if they dont like it. You will learn how to deal with the heat over time.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Our car is in joint names. It could save a lot of hassle if papers need to be produced. Always carry a photocopy of the registration documents with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.