Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

European expats living in the Philippines

European expats living in the Philippines

Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

robbo462003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default European expats living in the Philippines

Do europeans living in the Philippines find it difficult to adjust to the tropical climate ?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European expats living in the Philippines

No not at all, the only thing I would say, is that early on you need to take in a lot of fluid. Your body soon acclimatises though.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

I think it perhaps takes most people a year or two to adapt but it does depend on your state of health and particularly whether or not you're carrying some extra weight. Like many who have lived in the tropics a long time I now find that I have trouble adjusting to lower temperatures! Anything below about 22-23 degrees feels cool.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

I think we adapt quite quickly although you do see a lot of overweight westerners sweating profusely.
We dont use the ac just have a fan and dont suffer at all.
Strangely enough the coldest weather we have experienced in the last 10 years was in Sydney in January!!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

Giant cockroaches, flash floods, unbearable heat rashes that you dare not scratch and walking under the sun using an umbrella are what you face in Philippines so it doesn't mean that by being slim and in good health, you'll adjust easily.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies folks the extra- weight issue is my trouble in coping with high humidity whenever I have visited the Phil.So I reckon its loose weight or choose a higher altitude location like Baguio where I was more comfortable.Then the issue is the 7-hour bus journey as no commercial airline seems to operate on this route for long.Decisions Decisions,lol
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

You do adapt believe it or not but it takes a couple of your to do so and certainly not helped by airconditioning. The first few moths will have you sleeping under a fan without pyjamas but after a couple of years you will wear them.
Designing a house can be interesting to ensure you take advantage of any cool breezes and avoid sunlight on glass windows.
Ironic really when we come here for the warm weather and then hide from the heat of the sun during the midday. Umbrellas for the rain in UK umbrellas for the sun here in the PI.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

my skin suffers terribly with heat blisters everytime I'm in Phili and use katinko and anti-histamine (probably spelt wrong) for this.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dale-Vaness
my skin suffers terribly with heat blisters everytime I'm in Phili and use katinko and anti-histamine (probably spelt wrong) for this.
You will find that you will acclimatise in time. I used to suffer with bites from Mosquitos and Sand Flies - New Blood I suppose. But now that is a thing of the past, with no sprays etc., required.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

shiredevon is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in phils for 5 years now and i have to say i hate the heat, it's never got any better for me, i seem to spend most of the time with a bad head as i can't seem to drink enough to keep me hydrated.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your forthright replies I too have problems with the tropical climate there when I have visited. I understand we are all individuals varying in age and physical condition, my excess weight and age contribute to being very uncomfortable particularly with the humidity.I am very unsure if I could acclimatize.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

I can appreciate the trouble that the heat gives you and it can be uncomfortable, but its only the hot part of the day where you need to shelter. The early mornings and evenings are very pleasant. Choose the right spot for your house and design the place to catch the breezes and all will be fine.
Living in the centre of a built up area can get the heat and be unbearable.
The are some areas that are slightly higher in altitude that may attract a foreigner susceptible to the temperature, Lipa is one of them and higher still is Tagaytay at 1000 meters that gets busy at weekends during the summer with Manila crowds escaping the heat. Lipa is a busy area with all malls, Tagaytay has good shops but is an hour from a heavier shopping area.
The latter can be quite cool during the winter and you may need a fireplace even??? (a bit damp with hill mist, Autumn UK)
Old Jul 11th 2012, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks sunnydays for your reply I was in December 2011 but only for 2 days If I manage to get to the Phil this December I will explore Lipa and Batanes. Baguio is still my preferred location for comfort and relaxation at present.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are welcome.
Lipa is quite spread out but has all the malls, SM and Robinsons. A decent golfing place on the outskirts at an altitude with lots for sale even ??

Tagaytay much smaller overlooking Taal lake and volcano, price of lots have escalated because of popularity in the summer. Some say a developer nightmare, but more company haha.

DO have something to occupy your time......
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

yes that is my other worry the climate dont encourage me to do much maybe gardening at 4.30am.A bicycle ride and a spot of swimming could become addictive.But after 50 years as a wage-slave I need routine have become accustomed to it like most who have had to work to survive.Hard to drop the habit.The system trains us well to be regular reliable workers.How do you fill your days??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.