Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Reply

Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:02 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,891
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

There have been a few folks enquiring about enrolling on the UK government Gateway from overseas to avoid the wait for letters from HMRC to arrive here, with the response time having already expired. Here is the link to the appropriate Gov.UK pages.
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...affinitygroup=

Once enrolled, and electing for paperless communications, HMRC send you an email saying they have a message for you and to log on. Once starting the login process they send a one time access code to your mobile. I have not had one letter from HMRC for some time using this method and you can also securely email them with , usually , a relatively quick response.
Just thought it might be of interest to some folk.............
quiltman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 1:52 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Capiz
Posts: 868
Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
There have been a few folks enquiring about enrolling on the UK government Gateway from overseas to avoid the wait for letters from HMRC to arrive here, with the response time having already expired. Here is the link to the appropriate Gov.UK pages.
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...affinitygroup=

Once enrolled, and electing for paperless communications, HMRC send you an email saying they have a message for you and to log on. Once starting the login process they send a one time access code to your mobile. I have not had one letter from HMRC for some time using this method and you can also securely email them with , usually , a relatively quick response.
Just thought it might be of interest to some folk.............
Thanks for that. Over the years I have tried to enroll twice and as you say the response time had expired before receiving it but it would not have mattered if it had arrived quicker as both times the credit card sized ID card was missing. I assume disappointment all round when the ATM did not produce.
Stokkevn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:08 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,891
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

I would need to look deeper again re the enrollment as I believe I saw that they could send the activation code via email or mobile if post was a problem. i'm sure it was "hidden" somewhere in the help pages.
quiltman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:13 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,891
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Sorry, forgot to put the link as to where you start to register - blame old age and stupidity.
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/gover...origin=unknown
quiltman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:42 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 894
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

The activation is through different methods but not by e-mail. I tried yesterday and gave up as never remember my cell number and the wife was out so I could not use hers which I also never remember, nor the land line!!
mikemike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:56 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,891
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
The activation is through different methods but not by e-mail. I tried yesterday and gave up as never remember my cell number and the wife was out so I could not use hers which I also never remember, nor the land line!!
Surely you know how to look up your phones number mike? Mine is in settings/about/general on Android 5.5.
quiltman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:20 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 894
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
Surely you know how to look up your phones number mike? Mine is in settings/about/general on Android 5.5.
oddly enough, No!!my cell is in a draw, battery discharged, months ago. my wife may have a number somewhere, never been motivated to find out, we tend to talk to each other.

I am just sooo 21st century man.

i suppose one day i will get around to visiting the BIR for a TIN, take the lady with me. after i get a TIN number i will follow the HMRC gateway instructions. By then all the rules will have changed and i will once again be non the wiser
mikemike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:58 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 267
Raffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
Sorry, forgot to put the link as to where you start to register - blame old age and stupidity.
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/gover...origin=unknown
It really works! Tried several times over the last few years to activate the Government gateway by post, each time failing to make the deadline. Even just yesterday managed to be on the way to making a repeat of that by still getting the promise of a postal activation, which I am sure will fail again.

But then, with Quiltman's clarification that there is another way to Gateway registration through the tax service, which offers the choice of a code by text message... Panalo! as they say here.

Many thanks! It goes to show that with technology one just has to be patient.HMRC must have finally realised that us chaps in developing countries don't have reliable postal services.
Raffin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:37 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 894
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by Raffin View Post
It really works! Tried several times over the last few years to activate the Government gateway by post, each time failing to make the deadline. Even just yesterday managed to be on the way to making a repeat of that by still getting the promise of a postal activation, which I am sure will fail again.

But then, with Quiltman's clarification that there is another way to Gateway registration through the tax service, which offers the choice of a code by text message... Panalo! as they say here.

Many thanks! It goes to show that with technology one just has to be patient.HMRC must have finally realised that us chaps in developing countries don't have reliable postal services.
Wonder when they will get round to simple e-mail
mikemike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:40 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,891
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by Raffin View Post
It really works! Tried several times over the last few years to activate the Government gateway by post, each time failing to make the deadline. Even just yesterday managed to be on the way to making a repeat of that by still getting the promise of a postal activation, which I am sure will fail again.

But then, with Quiltman's clarification that there is another way to Gateway registration through the tax service, which offers the choice of a code by text message... Panalo! as they say here.

Many thanks! It goes to show that with technology one just has to be patient.HMRC must have finally realised that us chaps in developing countries don't have reliable postal services.
Glad you got sorted Raffin! I suppose, thinking about it , it's logical that HMRC want to tax us expats wherever we are so have made provision for overseas enrollment. The stupidity seems to be that if you try and enrol via the generic government gateway, you're beggared as they will only post the activation code, but enrolling via HMRC is OK. Once enrolled you should be able to access any of the Depts who are linked to the Gateway such as DWP. I only use HMRC as DWP only send pension detail letters - where postal time is immaterial , or Keep Alive letters where they now give us expats 16 weeks to respond as against the original 8 weeks - there is a thread here somewhere on this.
quiltman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:17 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,711
ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
There have been a few folks enquiring about enrolling on the UK government Gateway from overseas to avoid the wait for letters from HMRC to arrive here, with the response time having already expired. Here is the link to the appropriate Gov.UK pages.
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...affinitygroup=

Once enrolled, and electing for paperless communications, HMRC send you an email saying they have a message for you and to log on. Once starting the login process they send a one time access code to your mobile. I have not had one letter from HMRC for some time using this method and you can also securely email them with , usually , a relatively quick response.
Just thought it might be of interest to some folk.............
Just to say I don't have a mobile and more and more banking and investing stuff requires a mobile for a one time access code. It's infuriating.

Way of the world though.
Rant over.
ex reg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:44 am
  #12  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,762
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
There have been a few folks enquiring about enrolling on the UK government Gateway from overseas to avoid the wait for letters from HMRC to arrive here, with the response time having already expired. Here is the link to the appropriate Gov.UK pages.
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor...affinitygroup=

Once enrolled, and electing for paperless communications, HMRC send you an email saying they have a message for you and to log on. Once starting the login process they send a one time access code to your mobile. I have not had one letter from HMRC for some time using this method and you can also securely email them with , usually , a relatively quick response.
Just thought it might be of interest to some folk.............

Thank you, finally got it all to work and have access to my NI records again
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:19 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,891
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post

Thank you, finally got it all to work and have access to my NI records again
you're welcome lovely lady.
quiltman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:14 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 267
Raffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
Glad you got sorted Raffin! I suppose, thinking about it , it's logical that HMRC want to tax us expats wherever we are so have made provision for overseas enrollment. The stupidity seems to be that if you try and enrol via the generic government gateway, you're beggared as they will only post the activation code, but enrolling via HMRC is OK. Once enrolled you should be able to access any of the Depts who are linked to the Gateway such as DWP. I only use HMRC as DWP only send pension detail letters - where postal time is immaterial , or Keep Alive letters where they now give us expats 16 weeks to respond as against the original 8 weeks - there is a thread here somewhere on this.
Got through the Gateway, and will benefit from HMRC email notifications and letter tracking... but it seems registering for online self assessment still requires the always failing to arrive in time, for me anyway, posted activation code.
Raffin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:29 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,891
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling on UK Government Gateway from overseas

Originally Posted by Raffin View Post
Got through the Gateway, and will benefit from HMRC email notifications and letter tracking... but it seems registering for online self assessment still requires the always failing to arrive in time, for me anyway, posted activation code.
All I can suggest is to send an email to HMRC asking how to complete registration. If you have your UTI and NI number then I can't see why they would not text you the required code. you may have to phone the HMRC helpline - on the few times i've contacted them they have been most helpful.
quiltman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement