Daily Life Improvements

Old Feb 2nd 2024, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daily Life Improvements

The wife got a message today to pick up her card from the barangay hall, yes been a couple of years. What I don't get is this is supposed to be the id of all id's so what do you do if somewhere asks for two id's.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
The wife got a message today to pick up her card from the barangay hall, yes been a couple of years. What I don't get is this is supposed to be the id of all id's so what do you do if somewhere asks for two id's.
My wife says Palawan don't accept it as no signature.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

This National ID thing seems to be a total mess. Reminds me of the Drivers Licence fiasco continually running out of plastic cards, a drama that has been ongoing since at least 2018.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

A bit more about the Annual Report 2024, now I've had a look at the BI site.

There's a new Commissioner and he seems to have rushed out some new features for the AR, as his directive only came out on December 15. You can read it on the site. But there's no eye catching notices about it.

There's the online registration, which I presume is only good for the coming year.

Then it says we must all report in person. But read on and there are exemptions, including over 60s. And there is even a virtual AR through Google Meet. Of course complicated. So not all then. Also a mobile AR can be arranged for large groups. under many conditions. Think we need to be on the watch for any more changes from the new commissioner.

Btw whatever happened to the main officr move from Intramuros to Pasay?
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the new BI Head Office under construction and I believe scheduled for completion sometime in 2025.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

An Inquirer article in June 2022 quoted the previous commissioner saying it would be completed "soon'. Maybe like many buildings here had a pause due to 'no budget"?
Broke ground Sep 2018!

Last edited by Raffin; Feb 3rd 2024 at 1:09 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

In any event the sooner the better. At least it will be within spitting distance of IKEA!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

One last thing on the AR registration application:
They have that annoying "middle name" trick question. I've been caught out by it before here at the NBI.
If eg you're John Peter Wood it seems your "Given name/first name" should be John Peter and your "middle name" left blank.
At least the guy in the internet shop filled my application form in that way.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

I love this thread. I bring it up every time my beloved mentions retirement to the Philippines.

The endless litany of "improvements" that don't actually turn out to improve anything, or which have unexpected gotchas, sums up the whole country for me.

Don't get me wrong: I love my wife, and I hugely enjoy visits to the Philippines. But I would never ever retire there, no matter how inexpensive it appeared to be, because you just can't *rely* on anything 'official' there, working out as it should. (Unless you know the mayor.)

Particularly in the later (poorer health) stages of retired life, one would always be at risk.

Last edited by abner; Mar 9th 2024 at 4:40 am.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by abner
I love this thread. I bring it up every time my beloved mentions retirement to the Philippines.

The endless litany of "improvements" that don't actually turn out to improve anything, or which have unexpected gotchas, sums up the whole country for me.

Don't get me wrong: I love my wife, and I hugely enjoy visits to the Philippines. But I would never ever retire there, no matter how inexpensive it appeared to be, because you just can't *rely* on anything 'official' there, working out as it should. (Unless you know the mayor.)

Particularly in the later (poorer health) stages of retired life, one would always be at risk.
Yes, often two steps forward then one or sometimes two back. For me it's the uncertainty which is the most annoying.
Had a lot of experience lately with property transactions and the authorities you deal with make everything slow and complicated . Many charges, which can be large in Philippine terns... but there aren't many places good for our retirement in the world where you can have a medium sized house constructed for as little as 50,000 pounds.
So for me, with only a moderate pension, it's worth putting up with officialdom. We get the annual increases. You don't in Canada, Australia and NZ. No NHS, but is that such a loss these days? Here you can see a doctor without an appointment for 8 to 10 pounds and not be rushed to get out. Private hospitals are more readily available and cheaper if you need an op. You do need to have at least 1,500 pounds for them, but you can shop around. Home care, if you need it, is much cheaper.
Some risk as something very serious here can bankrupt you but for me one worth taking.

Last edited by Raffin; Mar 9th 2024 at 6:05 am.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Raffin summed it up perfectly. The one thing that is far better in the Philippines is the overall respect one receives as a senior citizen. Something that the UK has all but lost.
I am prejudiced, I have not lived in Blighty for over 35 years. I did spend a couple of years working in a large round building in Cheltenham. During which I concluded that Blighty was not the place I remember.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The respect is certainly up there but I would put better availability of younger women to live with, climate and affordability first. The negatives are I think few and irritating rather than serious.
For me the biggest miss is the British countryside. Can't be beaten for accessibility.

Last edited by Raffin; Mar 9th 2024 at 8:07 am.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Raffin
We tend to complain a lot here but I thought it useful to have a thread where we can note any good changes, big or small.

I'll make a start with:

1. Engine and chassis numbers no longer need to be stenciled at the LTO for regular registration renewals.
2. Has been going for a while but if you need to renew an NBI clearance you can now do it online, Includes foreigners.
Years go by and one day in SM grocery you see TESCOS. Brussel sprouts, shortcake biscuits, fig rolls and the marvel of Heinz baked beans. Sadly the supplies are used up and no longer available
BUT
S&R have 2 varieties of baked beans that we,ve tried and found acceptable. On the right is perfect copy and the left is a good runner up.
so go for it chaps. I only hope there are supplies left in our local store in Lipa.

cannot upload the pics but anyway buy the 2 types, one of them says " pork and beans" but its only beans.
enjoy

Last edited by sunnydays; Mar 18th 2024 at 12:06 am. Reason: Forgot the pics
Old Mar 18th 2024, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sunnydays
Years go by and one day in SM grocery you see TESCOS. Brussel sprouts, shortcake biscuits, fig rolls and the marvel of Heinz baked beans. Sadly the supplies are used up and no longer available
BUT
S&R have 2 varieties of baked beans that we,ve tried and found acceptable. On the right is perfect copy and the left is a good runner up.
so go for it chaps. I only hope there are supplies left in our local store in Lipa.

cannot upload the pics but anyway buy the 2 types, one of them says " pork and beans" but its only beans.
enjoy
​​​​​​Definitely needed here. Last year Hunts brought out a beans only version. I usually make do with their Pork n Beans. Taking out the pork fat. Or Ram's. Pork n Beans Although their beans lately got a bit hard.
But one can of the new Hunts was enough as for me they spoilt a good product by making the beans only version so sweet!
Not even sure the locals like it as haven't seen it on the shelves lately.
Old Mar 19th 2024, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Beans.. well Pork n Beans exactly.. update

Just tried another can of Ram's and they've changed the previously tough beans to a smaller and softer variety. Must have had complaints.

Ram's offering is a few Pesos cheaper than Hunt's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.