Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Can you use a UK TV in Philippines?

Can you use a UK TV in Philippines?

Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

lensman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you use a UK TV in Philippines?

Can anyone tell me if we can use a UK TV in the Philippines, can the cable network be connected to the UK Coaxial socket will I need an adapter
cheers
Tony
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you use a UK TV in Philippines?

Originally Posted by lensman
Can anyone tell me if we can use a UK TV in the Philippines, can the cable network be connected to the UK Coaxial socket will I need an adapter
cheers
Tony
Maybe or no.

The Philippines uses the American 60Hz NTSC system whereas the UK uses 50Hz PAL. Some sets are multi-standard. Is yours?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

lensman is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the T I want to send does have dual frequency or Multi-standard, Pal & NTSC,MY main concern is: The local TV cable network which has a screw in connector to provide the TV picture.
Can I get some kind of adapter as the UK TV has a coaxial push in connector
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lensman
Yes the T I want to send does have dual frequency or Multi-standard, Pal & NTSC,MY main concern is: The local TV cable network which has a screw in connector to provide the TV picture.
Can I get some kind of adapter as the UK TV has a coaxial push in connector
The coax to screw type adaptors are available, although you may have to hunt for one.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Ace Hardware in an SM store. You will find it there.

Now there is digital, and there is digital. Some TV's only convert the signal in black and white. Full digital will do so in colour.

There are lots of TV's here available in the sub P15000 range.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Go to Ace Hardware in an SM store. You will find it there.

Now there is digital, and there is digital. Some TV's only convert the signal in black and white. Full digital will do so in colour.

There are lots of TV's here available in the sub P15000 range.
That's because your TV is NTSC-M not NTSC-N. It's the TV that's the problem not different digital signals.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

If you have digital cable the output is usually HDMI cable. Our UK Panasonic TV has no trouble. I had to set it so that the HDMI input for the cable box automatically set itself to NTSC and our UK DVD player automatically sets region 2 DVDs to NTSC output and the TV picks it up and sets its input to match.

The locally bought NTSC TV we used before our furniture arrived only displayed UK DVDs in Black & White. Some cheaper UK TVs will only display NTSC in black and white. If you do have a problem there are video converters available that convert from PAL to NTSC and vice versa.

for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OREI-XD-1190...66945#shpCntId

Hope this is of some help.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

my UK Panasonic has worked well over 3 years first on analog cable now on digital cable , first through av3 now using component at the back
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Best way is to buy a cable converter ( small box similar to the old freeview box in the UK ) and plug the triple cables into the AUX IN on your TV or video/DVD player. They normally cost about Ph750
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Best way is to buy a cable converter ( small box similar to the old freeview box in the UK ) and plug the triple cables into the AUX IN on your TV or video/DVD player. They normally cost about Ph750
Your TV still has to be able to resolve 59.94Hz. A 50Hz only set is not going to work.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Your TV still has to be able to resolve 59.94Hz. A 50Hz only set is not going to work.
True but where I live I have measured the frequency which varies between just under 50 to about 63Hz, the voltage also varies from 105V to 260V. One of the reasons that electrical equipment breaks down so often. For expensive equipment I run it through 12V DC and an inverter.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

swazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of lightswazza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
True but where I live I have measured the frequency which varies between just under 50 to about 63Hz, the voltage also varies from 105V to 260V. One of the reasons that electrical equipment breaks down so often. For expensive equipment I run it through 12V DC and an inverter.
Unless a very high end set it`s barely worth the cost, though any small tv/electronics will almost certainly be able to get it to function. Local DVD players run from 1800 upwards and seem to last forever. The gent with irregular voltage and frequency, an AVR, automatic voltage regulator is the easiest solution, especialy for inductive loads like AC units, washer dryers, well and booster pumps. Many digital split AC units come with low voltage protection and simply will not start.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:10 am
Just Joined

ramboyd is an unknown quantity at this point

dont forget depending where you live in PH can be 120 or 240