British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   British Food Wanted!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/british-food-wanted-914546/)

smudger1767 Jul 3rd 2018 10:15 am

British Food Wanted!!!!

Hi all
Been living here in the Philippines now for 5 weeks and the food is amazing but I need some British food ASAP as I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Anyone know of a British food shop near Manila. I would kill for suasage egg chips and beans. I would love to know if there is anywhere near Manila that dose fish and chips, or pie and chips.
Thanks in advanced.

Gazza-d Jul 3rd 2018 10:23 am

Re: British Food Wanted!!!!

Fish and chip are common, mMc donalds did them for a while, try jerrys grill they have a breadcrumbed fish starter which is good with a chip side, don't expect to find fish shop chips though.You will occasionally see Hienz beans but they will be very expensive.

mikemike Jul 3rd 2018 10:29 am

Originally Posted by smudger1767 (Post 12526474)
Hi all
Been living here in the Philippines now for 5 weeks and the food is amazing but I need some British food ASAP as I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Anyone know of a British food shop near Manila. I would kill for suasage egg chips and beans. I would love to know if there is anywhere near Manila that dose fish and chips, or pie and chips.
Thanks in advanced.

SM have an international food section with some Tesco items, including baked beans with pork sausages, Tesco own brand as well as Heinz.
The makati supermarket also has a good selection of imported foods, not much from the UK

You can order on line from the following who do excellent choices. The shipping cost from the guy in Leyte may be prohibitive as like me you are In Manila.

https://www.facebook.com/mikesimportedenglishgoods/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/welshdeli/shop/?rid=1116521718414310&rt=6 Delivery costs are excellent as he is not far from me and my order was large enough not to attract a delivery cost

mikemike Jul 3rd 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12526481)
SM have an international food section with some Tesco items, including baked beans with pork sausages, Tesco own brand as well as Heinz.
The makati supermarket also has a good selection of imported foods, not much from the UK

You can order on line from the following who do excellent choices. The shipping cost from the guy in Leyte may be prohibitive as like me you are In Manila.

https://www.facebook.com/mikesimportedenglishgoods/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/welshdel...718414310&rt=6 Delivery costs are excellent as he is not far from me and my order was large enough not to attract a delivery cost

I should have added that Rustan supermarkets stock some waitrose goods SR warehouse shopping for members about 700p a year you can get fsh milk, very pricey and other imported goods from Europe and USA

Raffin Jul 3rd 2018 7:09 pm

Tried "Fish & Chips" here and in a few other countries and to me it doesn't travel well. Even in the cheaper retail outlets like SM the British selection is pricey and I notice the Tesco range offered now is less compared with when they started to feature the products a few years ago.

Unless you are happy to spend big on UK imports my advice is to gradually wean yourself off them and look for acceptable local and Asian substitutes.

ChrisKVie Jul 4th 2018 12:49 am

The union Jack Tavern in Festival Mall, Alabang has a small shop of brit foods plus the tavern has good food. I've only tried the curries but they are good.

Stokkevn Jul 4th 2018 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Gazza-d (Post 12526479)
Fish and chip are common, mMc donalds did them for a while, try jerrys grill they have a breadcrumbed fish starter which is good with a chip side, don't expect to find fish shop chips though.You will occasionally see Hienz beans but they will be very expensive.

I have found a passable alternative to Heinz Baked Beans and that is RAM Baked Beans ( no pork ), I pay about P10 for a half sized tin.

mikemike Jul 4th 2018 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie (Post 12526890)
The union Jack Tavern in Festival Mall, Alabang has a small shop of brit foods plus the tavern has good food. I've only tried the curries but they are good.

Chris I was in there the other day, they are pricey even by Uk standards. sometime they have a small sale i got the bisto gravy granules with onion at half price.

Santis deli behind Molito puregold has some uk imports, marmite, lemon squeezy etc cheaper than union jack Santis have a few delis around the metro area a quick google will show where

quiltman Jul 4th 2018 4:57 am

Originally Posted by smudger1767 (Post 12526474)
Hi all
Thanks in advanced.

For sausages etc , contact Roy at Welsh Deli in Las Pinas. look him up on facebook. Super sausage and bacon!

ChrisKVie Jul 5th 2018 12:41 am

I would also add that Roy's pies are pretty damn good too and that goes also for the black pudding !

ChrisKVie Jul 24th 2018 1:41 am

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie (Post 12526890)

I have an update to my post; I went to the Union Jack Tavern yesterday July 23rd and they have moved location and as part of that move they have closed the shop part of the business. It is now only a restaurant.......I was disappointed as run out of Branston ! :(

Stokkevn Jul 24th 2018 2:22 am

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie (Post 12537544)
I have an update to my post; I went to the Union Jack Tavern yesterday July 23rd and they have moved location and as part of that move they have closed the shop part of the business. It is now only a restaurant.......I was disappointed as run out of Branston ! :(

Have made a very passable homemade Branston using following recipe.The Almost Original Branston Pickle Recipe! Recipe - Genius Kitchen

mikemike Jul 24th 2018 4:01 am

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie (Post 12537544)

Just finished my last jar of Branston today and started my last jar of Marmite yesterday. Time for red X parcels. the costs of transportation of goods to the Philippines and around these islands is plain horrible.

So where has the union jack moved to ?

ChrisKVie Jul 24th 2018 6:00 am

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8c9568014b.jpg

Gazza-d Jul 24th 2018 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12537573)
Just finished my last jar of Branston today and started my last jar of Marmite yesterday. Time for red X parcels. the costs of transportation of goods to the Philippines and around these islands is plain horrible.

So where has the union jack moved to ?

I saw Marmite in the Rustons supermarket Glorieta Makati earlier in the year.