British Food Wanted!!!!

Old Jan 27th 2019, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Food Wanted!!!!

Originally Posted by mikemike
Well i finally registered with Pinoyboxdelivery.com

I had a few questions and one remains outstanding as i do not understand the terms of delivery re insurance Once I get that resolved( I do not want o have the 100$ premium cover)

Apart form that issue it is all straightforward and easy

Order from the supermarket( will they accept an overseas credit card?)

Arrives to the warehouse as a delivery in our names this gets repacked into a box. As I have not done this before I suspect my box is going to go to overflow as I will be ordering from 4 outlets. After this i will get a better idea of what to order in terms of quantity. So now waiting for the insurance query to be resolved.
Any report on service etc on Pinoyboxdelivery?

Last edited by Stokkevn; Jan 27th 2019 at 12:02 pm. Reason: Help if I could spell
Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry, I have yet to order anything.

Between Tescos and Waitrose here in either SM or Rustans I have got what I need. Plus I imported a bread maker and sausage maker with empanada moulds bought on OLX. The few hard to get, not able to get things I am adding to a list for some time this year. I also added to the sausage maker order, bags of herbs, such as Cumberland mix for the sausages. The Rusk is made here from ground down bread crumbs.
Sausage rolls; I get the puff pastry from South Supermarket, add to 1/2 kilo of ground pork with herbs and put through the food mixer to create sausage meet. This will make 60 mini sausage rolls. I make beef, onion and mushroom pies, chicken, ham and mushroom pies. I do not like the knorr stock cubes so have added Oxo cubes to my wish list plus bisto gravy mixers etc.

I have discovered that my bread making skills need to be enhanced as it is very much for toasting but not much else. On my wish list is the ''enhancer'' sold by tesco that gives their in store baked bread a lift so farm house style and bloomer style loaves should be possible plus some bread rolls. i may have to order the larger sized baking tins as I cannot find them here.

We are looking at refitting our kitchen this year and I am hunting down a larger sized oven, found it! and it must be fan assisted as baking without it can prove to be a challenge,

I seem to spend a lot of time making mischief in the kitchen!

Last edited by mikemike; Jan 27th 2019 at 11:54 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:57 am
Just Joined

salgoud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cambslad
Hi Smudger, you don’t say where you are! If you are in the Tagaytay/Dasmarinas area expats gather on Sundays at a Pool Hall in Indang. Also in attendance is a Brit Expat that makes Scotch Eggs and Pork pies just like the real thing. And at Christmas Mince Pies to die for
Hi, I note that you have meet ups in Indang. I have been looking at property for sale in Cavite and came across 'Bria Homes' in Indang at an affordable cost (yes I know I cant buy as a foreigner, that's all sorted using my reliable mature Filipina partner of 10 years). I'm interested in what you think of the Indang area as an area to live, I have seen on Youtube many videos of the fresh water resorts etc, done a google earth/street view of the area. To my minds eye it looks quite relaxing, low density, low traffic area. Not sure of what services and immensities are available, but Tagaytay, Silang and Dasmarinas (where my partners family reside) are within reasonable reach.

Keen to here of your experiences and thoughts on the area.

Thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I had posted this months ago, but had not.

When buying beef here in the wet markets it is normally just a few hours old and even the fillet can be tough. I keep mine in the fridge for upto 3 weeks, then trim any fat off and after frying/BBQ it is lovely and tender with a good taste.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Crystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this pointCrystal Dale is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smudger1767
Hi all
Been living here in the Philippines now for 5 weeks and the food is amazing but I need some British food ASAP as I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Anyone know of a British food shop near Manila. I would kill for suasage egg chips and beans. I would love to know if there is anywhere near Manila that dose fish and chips, or pie and chips.
Thanks in advanced.
Are you working in PH or retired and living with a local female? English foods will never taste quite the same just like Filipino dishes here in Uk even if cooked exactly the same and using ingredients imported from Asia.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

Popped into Howzat on Kalaayan Makati the other day. Picked up two jars of Branston ( P 320 each )... off to Marks n Sparks later to get me a Dundee cake for Pasko
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebie
Popped into Howzat on Kalaayan Makati the other day. Picked up two jars of Branston ( P 320 each )... off to Marks n Sparks later to get me a Dundee cake for Pasko
I don't know if it's just me but I don't think I could miss Branston enough to spend nearly £6 on a jar.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebie
you can get that and the brand equivalent in rustans Daang hari, not cheap there either
Old Feb 10th 2020, 12:06 am
Just Joined

bababill is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea can get Branston Pickle way cheaper in Rustans then Howzat... i will go and have a look today; can't recall what I paid last time.

Originally Posted by mikemike
The Rusk is made here from ground down bread crumbs.
Sausage rolls; I get the puff pastry from South Supermarket, add to 1/2 kilo of ground pork with herbs and put through the food mixer to create sausage meet. !
Do you make sausages? Where do you get the casings? I made the pork mince a few times and just made into links which was very good but still missed the casing.

On a separate note, some of the SMs have Tesco Frozen sausages now.. Haven't tried em myself but did read that it is only 56% pork; the rest is fillers like bamboo fibre (no joke)....
Old Feb 10th 2020, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bababill
Yea can get Branston Pickle way cheaper in Rustans then Howzat... i will go and have a look today; can't recall what I paid last time.

Do you make sausages? Where do you get the casings? I made the pork mince a few times and just made into links which was very good but still missed the casing.

On a separate note, some of the SMs have Tesco Frozen sausages now.. Haven't tried em myself but did read that it is only 56% pork; the rest is fillers like bamboo fibre (no joke)....
56% pork for a British sausage is probably about but the filling will be rusk
Old Feb 10th 2020, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I import the casings from the UK have used '' Butchers Sundries'' also get the cumberland mix and other herb ingredients from them. make the rusk here from ground breadcrumbs mixed with herbs and left in the ref
Old Feb 10th 2020, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I don't know if it's just me but I don't think I could miss Branston enough to spend nearly £6 on a jar.
You can always make branston pickle, it is easy enough and the ingredients seem to be locally available.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Good news, Rustans has Branston pickle on sale for 170.75 peso, normal price 189.50p. 360 gram jar too.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
56% pork for a British sausage is probably about but the filling will be rusk
I thought the same but then looked up the Tesco fresh sausages and the pork content is 72% and the Tesco finest is 97% pork which I think would be far too high... Never bought frozen sausages in UK so scared to waste what is probably a fiver on something I don't like. Think I will bring some of those casings from Butchers Sundries back with me next time I go England...
How long do the casings last? A year would be ideal.

BTW-- King Sue Canadian Bacon is the best bacon I have found that is somewhat readily available. It's in the frozen sections of SM or Shopwise etc.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

I thought the same but then looked up the Tesco fresh sausages and the pork content is 72% and the Tesco finest is 97% pork which I think would be far too high... Never bought frozen sausages in UK so scared to waste what is probably a fiver on something I don't like. Think I will bring some of those casings from Butchers Sundries back with me next time I go England...
How long do the casings last? A year would be ideal.

BTW-- King Sue Canadian Bacon is the best bacon I have found that is somewhat readily available. It's in the frozen sections of SM or Shopwise etc.
The casings are collagen so tend to last as long as you wish in the ref. King sue canadian is possibly one of the better lean packaged bacons outside the deli area in sm. You may wish to google ''earls deli'' they also have good vacumed sealed offerings