British food

Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Since1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British food

I've found the Indonesian brand of Ayam baked beans to be every bit as good as those of Heinz. They even have low-sodium, curry and pizza-flavoured beans. Highly recommended, easily available in most supermarkets, and CHEAP!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:04 am
..h
Just Joined

..h is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a Marks and Spencer food in Greenbelt Mall Makati and another i think nearby in one of the Glorietta malls. Good ole bangers and mash from the uk. There maybe others, google it. Pricey though as its all imported.

Aslo check out Santis. Its a European Deli with some well known british faves. There is one outside SM Aura in Taguig and one in Nuvali, Laguna. There may be more, again google it and again pricey.

Originally Posted by deanios46
Hi dose anyone know how much some british food is here in the philippines??

Stuff like..Heinz beens/baxters soup/branston pickle/marmite/biscuits/sausages/bacon/mustard/bisto/colemans mix,and uk booze?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

We know that imported foods are sold at a significant premium, not surprising as shipping costs would not be cheap neither are costs of ales if you wish to retail such a product line.

Has anyone here used Balikbayan Box( BB ) services from the UK? I know you have to pay someone to shop and then pack into an approved BB? Is there enough improvement in costs to warrant a DIY importation or is the saving insignificant over the cost of buying from here?. Anyone have any examples? etc
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this website www.pinoyboxdelivery.com, good for UK, US and Canada.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I have just started to use LBC in the UK for my Balikbayan Boxes. When I am in the Philippines I get my brother to get the essentials and I ebay things to him. You don't need an approved BB, I have sent TVs and even the kitchen sink over the years, they all charge a premium for odd shapped boxes though.

Where DIY import falls down is the second it lands in Manila and customs see it a white mans belongings then they charge for everything.

A few years ago I sent a 20' container from the UK though a BB company, door to door ( Aberdeen>Panay ) 6 weeks. Brilliant and relatively cheap.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Mike 2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've stopped eating bacon and bread here...laced with sugar. I only eat it on my rare trips to Dubai, where I can get British fare. Mike
Old Jul 13th 2014, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

French Baker do European style bread. There is an outlet in SM NRA Cebu. The baker in SM Consolacion, also makes bread with low sugar content, as does the one in Fooda, Consolacion.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

For those living in Alabang (close to Manila) in the Festival Shopping Mall there is a UK Shop and Bar. Its called the Union Jack Tavern.
On the 2nd Floor.
Holds a small selection of food stuffs from the UK, The bar its self good for bar food and certain types of decent imported beers. All fairly well priced.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all

HOWZAT SPORTS BAR has a decent selection of basics.

I'll be back in Makati next Sunday, 17th, so if anyone has a specific requirement I can bring it from the UK as long as it's not going to fill my case!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all

And, after all that, I forgot the bloody Colman's! American mustard? With a steak? You cannot be serious!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:49 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

No that doesn't sound good. You must have a proper English mustard with steak. If you ever come passing by Malaysia way (or Singapore, come to that) there's plenty of Colmans English mustard about.

If you ever see Masterfoods English mustard, buy it. Trust me. We actually prefer it to Colmans now.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:58 am
Just Joined

wayne42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always had problems with Colemans powder mustard over here..Within a month it is always covered in green mould..
No problem with new squeeze containers and ready mixed colemans..
Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Dogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond reputeDogbreath66 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Cebu you have to shop around but you can get some British stuff. Prices can be quite ridiculous. I buy Campbells baked beans from Metro and Marks and Spencer beans from their store in Ayala here both at 69 pesos. I have now found English mustard too but my two sources are both around 200 pesos. Good steak is difficult as they use different names for cuts to the uk. For example the sirloin steak I have found here is often very tough. We shop at local markets for veg and fruit and buy at half the price of supermarkets. We also find that supermarket so called fresh stuff is anything but ! You can buy tasty gravy here quite cheap. Bacon is generally rubbish very fatty . There are hundreds of different sausages, but I've not yet found any to compare with the uk.