British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   British food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/british-food-828482/)

deanios46 Mar 14th 2014 1:13 pm

British food

Hi dose anyone know how much some british food is here in the philippines??

Stuff like..Heinz beens/baxters soup/branston pickle/marmite/biscuits/sausages/bacon/mustard/bisto/colemans mix,and uk booze?

piero Mar 14th 2014 2:34 pm

Re: British food

I think a lot depends on where you are, The Philippines is a decent size and only few places will sell English food. Baked beans i ship my own as i like them but not for almost 200 peso a tin

deanios46 Mar 14th 2014 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by piero (Post 11172854)
I think a lot depends on where you are, The Philippines is a decent size and only few places will sell English food. Baked beans i ship my own as i like them but not for almost 200 peso a tin

hello
what do you mean 200pesos a tin? is that how much baked beens are? yah im just trying to get a general idea how much british food is,if it can be found atal? cheers

mikemike Mar 15th 2014 5:09 am

Originally Posted by deanios46 (Post 11172879)
hello
what do you mean 200pesos a tin? is that how much baked beens are? yah im just trying to get a general idea how much british food is,if it can be found atal? cheers

Yes it can be found. Union jack Pub in Alabang has a British deli with huge amounts of imports at silly hue prices. large jar Branston pickle at about 7GBP a jar etc.Not sure if they have a web site

Stokkevn Mar 15th 2014 7:57 am

I have noticed that UK foods in particular are very expensive in the Philippines. Having lived outside the UK for most of the last 35 years I am not so hooked on any particular British food.

Most of the ingredients are available locally and with the exception of dairy products most can be made from Piccalilli to the ham you put it on.

deanios46 Mar 15th 2014 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 11173795)
Yes it can be found. Union jack Pub in Alabang has a British deli with huge amounts of imports at silly hue prices. large jar Branston pickle at about 7GBP a jar etc.Not sure if they have a web site

£7 for a jar of pickle! what other stuff do they have there? is all the british food there so expensive? maybe it costs loads of money to import it from the u.k..i wonder if they sell much of it?.i might go down a have a look..i love filipino food too.chicken tinola is one of my favourites.how about you?

mikemike Mar 15th 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by deanios46 (Post 11174004)
£7 for a jar of pickle! what other stuff do they have there? is all the british food there so expensive? maybe it costs loads of money to import it from the u.k..i wonder if they sell much of it?.i might go down a have a look..i love filipino food too.chicken tinola is one of my favourites.how about you?

they have a huge selection of food and beverages, always re stocked due to brisk sales. yet for me by far and away hugely expensive

Far better to arrange your own Balikbayan box

Stokkevn Mar 15th 2014 8:50 pm

Has anyone a suggestion for a good UK Balikbayan box company from Scotland/NE England. The one I have used has become extremely unreliable, last time nearly 5 months.

FED Mar 19th 2014 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by deanios46 (Post 11172756)

Stuff like..Heinz beens/baxters soup/branston pickle/marmite/biscuits/sausages/bacon/mustard/bisto/colemans mix,and uk booze?

2 queries here for me

1 is there a UK Balikbayan option available in N Ireland?
2 is Southern Comfort readily available in Manila?

Stokkevn Mar 19th 2014 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by FED (Post 11180498)
2 queries here for me

1 is there a UK Balikbayan option available in N Ireland?
2 is Southern Comfort readily available in Manila?

LBC do Balikbayan boxes from the whole of the UK.

FED Mar 19th 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I have some stuff still in UK I would like to send over.

WhiteBlood Mar 30th 2014 10:09 am

There was one of the supermarkets in Power Plant Mall, Rockwell, that had a whole selection of the Essential Waistrose range. Might not be the best product, and the prices wouldn't quite be as cheap as you'd expect for the basics, but it was a pretty big range!

mikemike Mar 31st 2014 12:19 am

Originally Posted by WhiteBlood (Post 11196612)
There was one of the supermarkets in Power Plant Mall, Rockwell, that had a whole selection of the Essential Waistrose range. Might not be the best product, and the prices wouldn't quite be as cheap as you'd expect for the basics, but it was a pretty big range!

Waitrose 'own' product is nit bad at all. Their salad cream is perfect not to mention their wine gums and jelly babies!! Blackcurrant Cheesecake to live for

All of the above if found in places like the Union jack pub would cost 3 or more times the price for the same or similar item.

pays your money takes your choice

WhiteBlood Apr 1st 2014 5:16 pm

this is the value range I am talking about though, so not the usual luxury you'd expect with Waitrose

ABCD...... Apr 3rd 2014 5:47 am

Originally Posted by deanios46 (Post 11172756)

All the British stuff seems very expensive here.

Heinz Beans 99 pesos for normal size can.
Yogurt and Cheese are at least twice the price that I paid in Australia, and many say that Australia is more than the UK.
Toblerone 35gm bar is 37 pesos
Nestle Crunch 44 gram bar was 34 pesos
1.5 litres Ice Cream is 200+ pesos (and that's the cheap local one)