British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   British dad,filipino born daughter,birth register? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/british-dad-filipino-born-daughter-birth-register-803462/)

diverdec Jul 20th 2013 1:40 pm

British dad,filipino born daughter,birth register?

Hi,iam British,i work in UK for 4months a year whilst my 4yr old daughter and new born daughter live with my gf (their) mum in Philippines...8months a yr iam in Mindanao with my family....This October i will get my daughters a Philippine passport,i want to take my older daughter to UK for a 6 week holiday,i have not registered the birth of my children,can anyone explain the process i must go through to insure i can get a visitor visa just for my daughter and is it possible to get a dual passport for UK?

desert-rat Jul 21st 2013 12:31 pm

Re: British dad,filipino born daughter,birth register?

You will have to contact the British Embassy. It is not so easy these days as you are not married.

scot47 Jul 21st 2013 1:34 pm

Have you considered getting the daughters UK passports ?

desert-rat Jul 21st 2013 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10811270)
Have you considered getting the daughters UK passports ?

Think that's what he means by dual passports. Not so easy to rock up these days and get a British passport.

diverdec Jul 21st 2013 3:36 pm

i was going to get her a Philippine passport first,then apply for a visitor visa on the Philippine passport and at some stage get her a British passport if possible,she would stay a Philippine citizen but have the British passport as a secondary passport so no need to mess around with getting visas.Problem is i cant get a appointment with British Embassy in Manila to ask what i need to do,you can only make a appointment if you are applying,but no one will tell you how to apply...............do i need to drag my whole family including a new born all the way from east coast of mindanao to Manila to get a DNA test first and register the child,or can i just get the visa on her Filipino passport,i have no idea.............

diverdec Jul 21st 2013 3:44 pm

need to stumble across a english guy whos been in the same boat as me...

mikelincs Jul 21st 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by diverdec (Post 10811434)
i was going to get her a Philippine passport first,then apply for a visitor visa on the Philippine passport and at some stage get her a British passport if possible,she would stay a Philippine citizen but have the British passport as a secondary passport so no need to mess around with getting visas.Problem is i cant get a appointment with British Embassy in Manila to ask what i need to do,you can only make a appointment if you are applying,but no one will tell you how to apply...............do i need to drag my whole family including a new born all the way from east coast of mindanao to Manila to get a DNA test first and register the child,or can i just get the visa on her Filipino passport,i have no idea.............

Don't think you need a DNA test, is your name on the birth certificate? if so she should be eligible for a British Pasport as she is British by descent and therefore a British Citizen, she doesn't lose her Philippine citizenship because of that, British Citizens can have more than one citizenship.

scot47 Jul 21st 2013 6:04 pm

Can Filipinos ?

desert-rat Jul 22nd 2013 2:13 am

Yes, my daughter has both British and Filipino citizenship and her aunties, uncles, cousins etc have British, Canadian, US and Australian citizenship as well as Filipino.

diverdec Jul 22nd 2013 7:16 pm

yes my name is on her birth cetificate and she has my family surname as her surname............i know UK has tightened up immigration on those outside of the EU

diverdec Jul 22nd 2013 8:01 pm

iam sure she would need a DNA test cause,because just having my name on her birth certificate does not prove anything,

BritInParis Jul 22nd 2013 10:12 pm

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...applying/child

You will need to submit the applications for your daughters in person at the British Embassy in Manila. The requirements for first time child appointments are much stricter in the Philippines than other places but there's no mandatory DNA test. You can find a list of the required supporting documents here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...quirements.pdf

diverdec Jul 23rd 2013 6:26 pm

thanks for the info

sonny1980 Jan 6th 2014 1:59 pm

Hi all,

Found this forum while googling via this thread, so just thought I'd put my question on here to make things easier. Hopefully the original poster doesn't mind.

I'm in a similar boat as my son was born in Manila, June of this year, and I'm registered on the birth certificate as his Dad, and have been living in the Philippines since April. I'm a British citizen and married my wife (his Mum) in Thailand last month.

I went through the requirements which BritInParis kindly posted and everything seemed fine to register for his British passport, however the only document it looks like well be unable to get is the CRS no.5, Advisory of marriage. From what I've read this is like a counterpart to a Cenomar to say how many times you've been married if ever before your current marriage. It looks like we need an NSO (Filipino version) of the marriage certificate to get the CRS document, which apparently is available 6 months after depositing the photocopies of the original to the Philippine embassy in Thailand (the NSO marriage certificate will be available after 6 months that is). I'd like it sooner then that as we intend on going to Ireland on a visitor visa soon, and wondered if anyone in the know, knows if the original marriage certificate, translated and authenticated version from Thailand, along with the receipt of marriage from the P.I. embassy in Thailand would suffice. I mean we had to redribbon so many of her documents in the first place in the Philippines to show she had never been married anyhow. Seems hard to get a straightforward answer from the consulate, other then apply and find out.

I know I could just pay the 80 quid and try the process and if refused so be it but I know it can take a good few months to process. Otherwise, does anyone know if I can just take our son on his Philippine passport on a visitor visa with us to Ireland? We could go a lot sooner if that's the case.

Any help or advice much appreciated. Thanks.

BritInParis Jan 6th 2014 7:42 pm

Given the complications involved with British children being born in the Philippines and that the RPPC in Hong Kong is now closed you may wish to consider first registering your son's birth with the Embassy in Manila. This way you'll be dealing with staff with local knowledge who can contact you directly if necessary for any missing documents. Once your son is registered you can use his consular birth certificate to apply for his passport without any further supporting documentation.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth