British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Best way to renew UK passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/best-way-renew-uk-passport-923836/)

Bazza070958 Apr 4th 2019 5:01 am

Best way to renew UK passport

Hope you are all well.
I dont have the money to return to the UK ... can anyone suggest the best way to renew my passport.?
Cheers and Thanks Bazza

spouse of scouse Apr 4th 2019 5:15 am

Re: Best way to renew UK passport

Originally Posted by Bazza070958 (Post 12665814)
Hope you are all well.
I dont have the money to return to the UK ... can anyone suggest the best way to renew my passport.?
Cheers and Thanks Bazza

Hi Bazza, use this UK government online tool, you just answer the questions and it will tell you how to renew your passport https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/filter/overseas

Bazza070958 Apr 4th 2019 5:35 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12665816)
Hi Bazza, use this UK government online tool, you just answer the questions and it will tell you how to renew your passport https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/filter/overseas

Thanks very much ... Not due for a couple of years but beginning to think about it lol

Bealinehx Apr 4th 2019 9:05 pm

To add my tuppence worth. I renewed my passport on line in the Philippines. Received new and expired passport after 18 days.

mikemike Apr 5th 2019 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 12666227)
To add my tuppence worth. I renewed my passport on line in the Philippines. Received new and expired passport after 18 days.

So you sent off the old passport the same day as you completed the on line application and had the old one plus new back in 18 days. Who did you use for the postal service?

Bealinehx Apr 5th 2019 6:01 am

I used LBC and they passed on to DHL. Very efficient service by all concerned.

inggris Apr 12th 2019 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 12666227)

Did you receive you renewed passport before you were sent the expired one (and supporting documents)? :confused:

quiltman Apr 12th 2019 2:22 am

Just renewed mine. DHL on Tuesday, arrived Liverpool Friday morning, new passport received next Thursday, old passport received Friday!
I've now renewed 4 family passports over the last two years and average time from sending to receiving new ones is 10/12 days.

BritInParis Apr 12th 2019 8:27 am

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

scrubbedexpat120 Apr 26th 2019 6:41 am

Hi,i am going to the Philippines early August i have at the moment 10 months left on my passport,will i be able to renew it next year while i am there,thanks Frank.

BritInParis Apr 26th 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Frank2 (Post 12675901)
Hi,i am going to the Philippines early August i have at the moment 10 months left on my passport,will i be able to renew it next year while i am there,thanks Frank.

You will be able to but you may find it easier simply to renew it before you go. If you are planning on residing in the Philippines then doing so may save you the bother of having to update your passport details with the Philippine authorities.

scrubbedexpat120 Apr 26th 2019 8:25 am

Ok,thanks for your advice.

Stokkevn Apr 26th 2019 11:32 am

Most countries require a full six months left on the passport to let you in, airlines are normally slightly stricter as they could get charged for any expenses caused by refusing you entry, so traveling in August gets you very close to that line. When I renewed mine last time I had nearly a year left, this was added to the 10 year validity. BritInParis is also right that it is a lot less hassle doing it in the UK, plus cheaper as you do not have to use international courier system.

bestvue Apr 26th 2019 12:30 pm

If I remember rightly if you renew earlier than 6mths you get the time back in your next passport so nothing lost. Renew before you leave the UK.

BritInParis Apr 26th 2019 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12675982)
Most countries require a full six months left on the passport to let you in, airlines are normally slightly stricter as they could get charged for any expenses caused by refusing you entry, so traveling in August gets you very close to that line. When I renewed mine last time I had nearly a year left, this was added to the 10 year validity. BritInParis is also right that it is a lot less hassle doing it in the UK, plus cheaper as you do not have to use international courier system.

A number of countries do - I wouldn’t say most - but the Philippines is not one of them. Countries that the OP may transit through, like Singapore, do however.

Originally Posted by bestvue (Post 12676009)
If I remember rightly if you renew earlier than 6mths you get the time back in your next passport so nothing lost. Renew before you leave the UK.

It was nine months and that policy was ended last September as part of the Brexit preparations.

Stokkevn Apr 26th 2019 12:47 pm

[QUOTE=BritInParis;12676013]A number of countries do - I wouldn’t say most - but the Philippines is not one of them. Countries that the OP may transit through, like Singapore, do however.[QUOTE]

My ticket ( Philippine Airlines 2015 ) from London to Manila stated minimum passport validity 6 months. So maybe it is just the airlines being a bit over cautious.

nonthaburi Apr 26th 2019 3:22 pm

Depends where you are in th UK and how much free time you have. Last time I got a new passport I planned it all out. Made the appointment in London before I went and used their express service. It takes four hours from submittal to pickup. I have to say it was really efficient. I was pleasantly surprised.

when you factor in DHL costs etc, there's very little difference in price.

philat98 Apr 26th 2019 3:49 pm

Has anyone made their own passport photo and uploaded it? If there is something wrong with the picture do they email for another?

BritInParis Apr 26th 2019 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Stokkevn (Post 12676026)
My ticket ( Philippine Airlines 2015 ) from London to Manila stated minimum passport validity 6 months. So maybe it is just the airlines being a bit over cautious.

The Philippines abolished the six month rule for British citizens in November 2015 so if you flew before then your ticket was correct at the time of issue.