BBC iplayer

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC iplayer

you may have seen that the iplayer is asking you to sign in now. Using HOXX vpn proxy I successfully logged in and watched Ian Hislop on Immigration. Just thought you'd like to know!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC iplayer

I have successfully used one called Windscribe on both BBC and ITV programs
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Unlocator, seems to work OK
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

For any BBC radio fans.... "signing in" is now also needed for listening to BBC radio through the Radio iPlayer site. A bit strange as there's no licence requirement as with TV. They say they want to do market research and send us programme suggestions. But they're probably just keeping in line with the TV, where a licence is required, and where they want to crackdown on those without using the TV iPlayer site.

They keep you signed in for as long as you keep your browser open, but I close mine, for various reasons, several times a day sometimes, so it's a bit of a nuisance. To get around that I now listen through Streema, which I found to be the best of the radio streaming sites I tried out. No requests to sign in...as of now!

Regarding the TV iPlayer issue for us Expats... I agree that it's easy to register and sign in. The main thing is to say you have a TV licence, as one can't watch on iPlayer without a licence. They are reported to be following those cases up.

What the future holds for viewing UK TV here is another question as the Beeb is reported to be looking into linking access to the iPlayer with the licence. Torrents now tend to only be available for the more popular programmes, although maybe that will change if viewing via a VPN or DNS gets much more difficult or even impossible. Someone will make a business of it.

I'm now thinking of buying a DNS subscription...a two year on the cheapest, SmartDNS, is much less per month, but a year may be the better option for me while the situation clarifies, as I would only use DNS for the BBC and ITV sites.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I use TVCatchup - Channels - has all BBC channels plus ITV and a few others. Works fine here without a VPN.For streaming radio I use Internet Radio UK, online radio stations, listen to internet radio - again works perfectly and has hundreds of stations.I rarely watch iplayer but as I said in post1 , HOXX seems to work. I used my old postcode to sign up a couple of years ago.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use Hola a lot and it worked for me better than any other VPN.
But then I read that it was liable to viruses etc because it works through peer to peer caching or something, so I stopped using it and tried cyberghost which didn't work as well.
Anyway seeing this thread I googled Hola and now don't see the thread discouraging the use of Hola.

I'm in UK until October but I'll probably try Hola again when I go overseas again.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Uk you also have to sign up, Big Brother or just a bit of marketing ?

Last edited by scot47; Jul 18th 2017 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

You can also sign up for ITV, Channel 4 and channel 5 where you don't need to say you have license.

https://www.itv.com/
Old Jul 19th 2017, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

TV Catchup offers free live viewing only, it's not, now at least, a catch up service. They seem to have gone through many legal battles to be considered a cable service, and are still operating, but for how long? Given the BBC's push to restrict internet non licence payers. Anyway, quite acceptable, especially since Filmon/View Abroad now just give a free service for 5 minutes.

The BBC iPlayer offers live viewing, catch up and downloading. VPNs and DNS can be cheap. If you want to record a lot of UK TV, then Filmon's record service would be the best choice.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The problem with Filmon now is that yes, you can pay and record programmes but no longer can you download them. I tend to download programmes to USB so I can play them on our TV which does not have an internet connection. OK I could hook up the tablet and stream via that but this method works fine for us. Each to his own I suppose.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Here in the Uk you also have to sign up, Big Brother or just a bit of marketing ?
Isn't that because you now need a licence to watch streaming TV in UK?
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

At one time your radio was covered by your TV liecense. I guess as it was uniforcable and with the advert of commercial radio it was dropped.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
At one time your radio was covered by your TV liecense. I guess as it was uniforcable and with the advert of commercial radio it was dropped.
I think the radio license was dropped because there were so few people just wanting them that the cost of collection was much more than the value they received.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Isn't that because you now need a licence to watch streaming TV in UK?
Not sure about that.
Don't neeeed a license for iPlayer in the UK.
You just have to click yes when asked if you have a UK TV license.

There is thought that eventually BBC will ask that you input your license number.

If the BBC stopped paying out ridiculous salaries to so called slebs they could prolly do away with the license fee altogether.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 8:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Not sure about that.
Don't neeeed a license for iPlayer in the UK.
You just have to click yes when asked if you have a UK TV license.

There is thought that eventually BBC will ask that you input your license number.

If the BBC stopped paying out ridiculous salaries to so called slebs they could prolly do away with the license fee altogether.
Those people they do pay the 'ridiculous salaries' to can, even now, get much, much higher salaries if they go to any of the commercial channels, which is why you got people like Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakly moving from BBC to ITV, because ITV were prepared to give them long contracts at Much enhanced salaries, the fact that they bombed on ITV was due to the fact that they moved from the platform that they were doing so well into untried waters and they were rubbish. Many other presenters have done the same thing, been trained by the BBC with their presenting expertise and then jumping ship to earn much bigger salaries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.