Barclays Account Frozen

Old Nov 13th 2021, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays Account Frozen

What a business!

Yes, you need to unblock the account. But then can you rely on the verification code delay not recurring? These codes are now commonplace in online banking. If you do certain actions after getting in you can even be sent another code,

They can fail to arrive here due to a poor signal location. Whether there are also cheap, poor systems contributing to the problem I don't know for sure, but I expect so at least for some local banks etc. But you would expect the Barclays of this world to have the best systems.

The other issue is the way Barclays have dealt, or not dealt, with your complaint.

For both of those reasons can you move the account to another bank? I'm with Lloyds. Their online banking works well for me. Never had to make a complaint but it would be useful for you to hear from anyone who has.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barclays Account Blocked

I personally bank with Lloyds and have experienced none of these issues. Codes etc arrive in time and never had a 'poor signal' issue. The likelihood of verification code delays re-ocurring after the account has been unblocked are highly probably, hence I raised that in the complaint, suggesting that Barclays look into the issue properly and come up with a workable solution.

Barclays actually also have something called a PINsentry, something that looks like a small calculator and can generate verification codes, but it requires a debit card to operate it. That worked well until 2018 when my wife’s debit card expired. Barclays refuse to send her a new debit card but send her new PINsentrys, which are useless without the card.

Barclays also have an App, which would help, but to register for it, you have to have a UK mobile number and a debit card. All of these issues were raised in the complaint.

Swapping to another UK bank isn’t possible; she would need to be in UK for that and provide proof of residence in UK etc. As a fallback, we will open her an account with Wise that does enable direct debits etc. However, the issue with Barclays needs to be resolved as a matter or principal and she needs access to her funds.

Customers could be forgiven for thinking that Barclays see no value in retaining low level, non-profit making accounts, particularly those residing abroad. Their approach leads one to conclude that they would be happy to see accounts such as my wife’s closed. What other explanation is there for the bank’s lackadaisical behaviour? I’m in for the long haul and quite prepared to take this one to the Financial Ombudsman Service, including the claim for courier services (already submitted), which are a direct result of Barclay's incompetence.

Old Nov 13th 2021, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barclays Account Blocked

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
Managed to get through to the call centre, my wife told them she was calling from Ph and after the usual security checks, I was able to speak on her behalf. According to Barclays, her account is blocked, not frozen; sounds the same thing to me. As her account is blocked, her telephone banking is also blocked. Staff couldn’t view her account either so they were unable to tell us what the problem is. Great system! I explained that the Barclays verification code sent by SMS, which one needs to log in to your account, had recently been taking 10 mins to arrive instead of 2 mins. This meant that after 5 mins, the log-in time elapsed and the system instructed my wife to commence the log-in procedure again.

The rep advised that I just call in to a local Barclays Bank in UK to get it solved - thanks for that, followed by the advice that I could always write to Barclays UK in Leicester. I pointed out that neither of these were workable solutions so she tried to put me though to another department. I warned her that I usually get cut off when that happens and would have to go through the whole procedure explaining everything again; so please be careful. You’ve guessed it, I got cut off and we had to go through the whole procedure again.

When I rang back, we got a different rep so went through the whole palaver of security and explaining the situation again. This rep felt that the account was probably blocked because of too many ‘failed’ log-in attempts due to the late verification code. Makes sense. He said he’d talk to his supervisor and promised faithfully to call me back within 20 mins.

One hour later and still no call back so I rang Barclays, got another rep and of course had to go through the usual rigmarole again. The new rep said the last person hadn't called me back as they aren't allowed to make international calls. The latest rep said much the same as the others, rolling out Barclays standard phrase that we should call in to the nearest branch or write to Barclays in UK asking them to unblock the account. There was much more said, but I won’t bore you with the details. The point is, writing to Barclays UK is really not the best option considering how normal post is slow and often goes astray. On the other hand, a courier is expensive - it currently costs £39 to send documents to UK via LBC. LBC also said it was now taking approx 20 days to get to UK!

I suggested to the rep that raising a formal complaint may be the best way to get the matter resolved; can I do that over the phone? Yes, you can, let me transfer you to the right department … Oh no, not again. Yes, I’m afraid so. Anyhow, before getting cut off again, I managed to get the direct number for the complaints department.

So, next call was to the complaints dept. and security checks etc. "I understand I can submit a complaint over the telephone, is that right?" Yes you can. Oh, wait a minute, I can’t access your account as it’s blocked so I can’t register your complaint; you can tell me about it if you want but I won't be able to do anything. You’d be best writing to Barclays UK. By this time I’m thinking Kafkaesque. I've now submitted a formal complaint to Barclays via LBC courier who partner with DHL in UK. Let’s see what happens and how long it takes.
Its like being a hamster on a wheel never getting any closer to the carrot or whatever hamsters on wheels eat. What a nightmare to go through. What a system they have, or dont have. ... Daily Telegraph has an excellent columnist < Sally Hamilton who is excellent at getting refunds for people stuck in similar bureaucratic nightmares. As shes usually successful it might be worthwhile sharing your nightmare story with her . She has had MANY stories previously about Barclays so Im sure one more would be welcomed as it seems banks act quickly when their misdeeds are published.
To contact Sally you can email [email protected] or write to her at Telegraph Money, The Telegraph, 111 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 0DT
Old Nov 13th 2021, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
What a business!

Yes, you need to unblock the account. But then can you rely on the verification code delay not recurring? These codes are now commonplace in online banking. If you do certain actions after getting in you can even be sent another code,
I live out in the sticks of Capiz and my RBS verification code arrives in seconds normally before I have managed to open the page where I have to input it. So do my input codes from Norway, Australia and here so it sounds like a Barclays problem
Old Nov 13th 2021, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebie
Its like being a hamster on a wheel never getting any closer to the carrot or whatever hamsters on wheels eat. What a nightmare to go through. What a system they have, or dont have. ... Daily Telegraph has an excellent columnist < Sally Hamilton who is excellent at getting refunds for people stuck in similar bureaucratic nightmares. As shes usually successful it might be worthwhile sharing your nightmare story with her . She has had MANY stories previously about Barclays so Im sure one more would be welcomed as it seems banks act quickly when their misdeeds are published.
To contact Sally you can email [email protected] or write to her at Telegraph Money, The Telegraph, 111 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 0DT
Freebie, thanks for Sally’s contact details at the Telegraph; that’s certainly something to consider. I’ve drafted a fairly comprehensive list of complaints, including what I expect Barclays to do. I want to give them the opportunity to put matters right before I take the next action. Question is, if they fail to come up with satisfactory solutions, who should I approach first, the Financial Ombudsman service or Sally? Perhaps both at the same time.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
Freebie, thanks for Sally’s contact details at the Telegraph; that’s certainly something to consider. I’ve drafted a fairly comprehensive list of complaints, including what I expect Barclays to do. I want to give them the opportunity to put matters right before I take the next action. Question is, if they fail to come up with satisfactory solutions, who should I approach first, the Financial Ombudsman service or Sally? Perhaps both at the same time.
I would approach as many places of respite and restitution as possible and advise each particular place that you are also taking other approaches to get respite from this unhappy merry go round. When Barclays gets several inquiries from different sources about the same one account it might, just might them to move their oh so sweet smelling arse

In sally Hamiltons articles she often writes that people have contacted her and the ombudsman etc.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond repute

Try emailing the CEO of Barclays, there is a website ceoemail.com but can't seem to get on it from the Philippines even using a VPN. If you have friends/relatives in the UK ask them to check it, or find out the CEO's name and format it as [email protected]

I did it with BT and Plusnet a couple of times when I was in the UK, even had a call on a Sunday afternoon one time about 20 minutes after sending an email.

Last edited by EnglishRed; Nov 16th 2021 at 5:19 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 16th 2021, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Default Barclays Account Blocked

Originally Posted by EnglishRed
Try emailing the CEO of Barclays, there is a website ceoemail.com but can't seem to get on it from the Philippines even using a VPN. If you have friends/relatives in the UK ask them to check it, or find out the CEO's name and format it as [email protected] I did it with BT and Plusnet a couple of times when I was in the UK, even had a call on a Sunday afternoon one time about 20 minutes after sending an email.
Thanks EnglishRed, another option to consider.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

I sympathize with the complaints with Barclays. first of all get yourself a SKYPE account. I have an account with Barclays since 16 years old and have fumed at times from here. Being asked about my UK tax info I decided to open an International account with them and moved my money into that which is tax free. Receiving new passwords and internet access words are a snag because they take some time to arrive but a new ATM card is very fast. I have 3 of those pin sentry machines! Moving money from your international account is easy with sterling to an HSBC sterling/peso account here in the Philippines, costs small at 3pounds!
I had that residence problem with a BPI account in the UK but I opened that with a British gas service agreement that had our old address on it. Since moving here they haven't said anything. Being an EX service member my pension is taxed in the UK .......no way round that I tried, even having a BIR number. The only way to avoid that is to become a Philippine citizen and give up your British nationality ?????
Old Dec 15th 2021, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnydays
I sympathize with the complaints with Barclays. first of all get yourself a SKYPE account. I have an account with Barclays since 16 years old and have fumed at times from here. Being asked about my UK tax info I decided to open an International account with them and moved my money into that which is tax free. Receiving new passwords and internet access words are a snag because they take some time to arrive but a new ATM card is very fast. I have 3 of those pin sentry machines! Moving money from your international account is easy with sterling to an HSBC sterling/peso account here in the Philippines, costs small at 3pounds!
I had that residence problem with a BPI account in the UK but I opened that with a British gas service agreement that had our old address on it. Since moving here they haven't said anything. Being an EX service member my pension is taxed in the UK .......no way round that I tried, even having a BIR number. The only way to avoid that is to become a Philippine citizen and give up your British nationality ?????
I stopped using BPI when they closed our accounts down and ceased on line transfers
Old Dec 15th 2021, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Must relate a bank story. We opened a sterling account with BPI for emergencies or whatever, opened it with a UK Barclays cheque back in 2006. It never moved and so we just closed it and opened up HSBC sterling which had cards and branches all over the world. Walked into BPI in Makati with bank book and asked it to be closed, expecting some sort of credit note or sterling cheque but when the cheque came it was to be drawn on a UK bank in the North of England! Visited our HSBC bank in Alabang and the kind lady there put the cheque into an envelope and addressed it to the BPI Bank in London, I added a note to say please add it to our account there. HSBC sent it by Courier service and wouldn't take money for doing so.. A few days later an email from the manager BPI in London informed us that he had received the cheque and paid it into our account!!!! I call that service. A problem for me is that my RAF pension service will not send the money to this BPI branch, don't know why because they are a fully accredited UK bank and my old age state pension goes into it?
Old Dec 15th 2021, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunnydays
Sunnydays, thanks for your input. I have a Skype account and we use that for calling Barclays. However, it doesn’t resolve the problem with a blocked/ frozen account. The ‘call centre’ staff do not have access to a blocked account so they can’t answer questions. They simply tell you to write to them. We have considered an International account and have put that to Barclays. We are waiting to hear back on that. Here’s the latest from our side:

11 Nov - Official complaint send off to Barclays by DHL, with all supporting documentation.
18 Nov - DHL proof of delivery shows Barclays received letter today.
24 Nov - submitted detailed request and supporting documentation to Sally solves at the Telegraph asking if she will take the case.
24 Nov - automated reply from Sally, ….. If I am able to respond to yours I will be in touch in due course ….
02 Dec - e-mail to Sally asking for update, will she accept our case etc - No reply.
15 Dec - still no reply from Barclays - despite their online promise to respond within 24 hrs. Clearly this policy doesn't apply to non-resident customers. If that's the case, then it should say so on their website.

One has to give Barclays the opportunity to respond before one can take the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). According to the FOS, the bank ‘needs to give you their final response within 15 days for some of the types of complaint mentioned (although, in some circumstances, they’ll have up to 8 weeks)’. So, two main considerations in that statement are: ‘final response’, we asked the bank to give their final response in the complaint, specifically so we could raise it with the FOS if necessary. The other is that we may have to wait up to ‘8 weeks’. No problem, we’re prepared to wait. In the meantime, my wife continues to receive e-mails from Barclays informing her that her latest statement is now available, just check it online etc.; if only! Bottom line, we don't expect a resolution any time soon.