Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Benefits of Eating Through The Jungle

Benefits of Eating Through The Jungle

Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Benefits of Eating Through The Jungle

As now seems to be the time for harvesting things from the jungle, I have discovered that most end up on our doorstep and in most part are very good for you.
Malunggay leaves made into a tea contains a huge amount of vitamins and minerals and are good for anything from asthma to skin problems and cancer, the roots for contraception and snake bites. Malunggay Herbal Medicine, Health Benefits, Side Effects, Preparation
Egyptian Spinach ( which we grow in the garden ) is supposed to contain a lot more good things than the UK spinach. https://www.hologram.me.uk/the-healt...ach-molokhiya/
Bignay berries made into a cordial ( taste like elderberries so may need sugar ) has a range of things it is good for weight loss, premature aging ( I'm pass the point of no return on this ), cardiovascular disease, snake bites and syphilis amongst other things. Apparently also makes good wine, maybe why they taste like elderberries, that's my next challenge. 15 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Bignay | Top DIY Health & Home Remedies
Buko Juice is a bit like a healthy sports drink with benefits. 8 Science-Based Health Benefits of Coconut Water
Turmeric, again something that grows in the garden with huge health benefits. 10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin

Anyone know of any other local plants that are good for you and tasty
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits of Eating Through The Jungle

Interesting post!

Following up on your question on other local plants, I would put in a vote for the humble Papaya. Can be used ripe or unripe, packed with vitamin C, Beta Carotene and Potassium. It's so easy to grow....even by accident... you can just chuck the remains of eaten market or grocery bought Papayas, and there's a good chance a tree will come up within the year. Eat in conjunction with Saba and you won't have any "problems"in the morning!

Looking through your selection, yes, Malunggay is easy to grow...just that preparing the leaves is a bit tedious. The Egyptian Spinach looks to be excellent...I note that it's also quite a good source of iron.

My general approach with all this is if you have a specific health issue then have it medically treated. After that you can turn to eating specific foods to supplement your treatment or prevent recurrence. Of course, if people can't afford or are unable to see the doctor then they can be given a go. But taken to an extreme there is the risk of what happened to Steve Jobs

.Nutrition country profiles: Philippines summary

Vitamin A deficiency was rated as "severe" here in children and pregnant women, also iron deficiency affected roughly half the population of the Philippines in this FAO report from 7 years ago. Yet, for example, Malunggay is rich in both, ripe Papaya provides Beta Carotene which the body converts to Vitamin A, and the Egyptian Spinach is good for iron. I couldn't find a vitamin analysis for the Bignay berries, but maybe they could be useful too.

Do the poor here want or know how to maintain gardens? Maybe they don't have the land? Where we live the caretakers are very good at cultivating unsold lots.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

My concern with these wonder foods is if you are on medication you can easily overdose. I can't eat grapefruit because I'm on statins, if I stopped the statins how much grapefruit should I eat to compensate?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
Looking through your selection, yes, Malunggay is easy to grow...just that preparing the leaves is a bit tedious.
I prep the Malunggay by stripping the leaves off the branches put them in a coffee press followed by a little hot water and 5 seconds of a hand held blender, top up with water, wait a minute or 2 then drink like tea.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
My concern with these wonder foods is if you are on medication you can easily overdose. I can't eat grapefruit because I'm on statins, if I stopped the statins how much grapefruit should I eat to compensate?
Maybe too much!

The empty lot next to our house features a grove of Langka (Jackfruit) trees, and each Summer they become laden with a number of huge fruit. I can just eat a little...too sweet for me. But a few years ago my wife over indulged on the freely available fruit, which is quite expensive to buy outside, and ended up spending two nights in hospital.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have just tried some homemade Bignay wine, despite being a bit sweet and the dubious cleanliness of the process it was very palatable. I might try and make my own using less sugar. Shall report back on the results, if it is any good.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Ferdinand Lao is an unknown quantity at this point

Every morning i always have a hot cup of Malunggay to cool my body
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Samantha Santos is an unknown quantity at this point

me too
Old Nov 17th 2017, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ferdinand Lao
Every morning i always have a hot cup of Malunggay to cool my body
Malunggay is so easy to grow, my wife took a branch off a tree and stuck it in our garden, 3 months later we had a Malunggay tree. In Manila they eat the seed pods as well as the leaves.