Arriving Soon !!!!!

Old May 19th 2016, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Bazza070958 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving Soon !!!!!

I'm finally leaving soon to join you all in the Philippines ... (actually end of August) ... therefore can I ask "Is there anything you brought with you that's been a waste of time and or anything that you wished you had taken with you ?"
I'm trying to put a list together of essentials and am filling my page too quick .
Also I'm sure I've read this before but is it still necessary to book a return flight to gain entry and can I request the visa extension when I land at Manila?

Many Thanks Sorry if this has been covered before.

Baz
Old May 19th 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Soon !!!!!

Originally Posted by Bazza070958
I'm finally leaving soon to join you all in the Philippines ... (actually end of August) ... therefore can I ask "Is there anything you brought with you that's been a waste of time and or anything that you wished you had taken with you ?"
I'm trying to put a list together of essentials and am filling my page too quick .
Also I'm sure I've read this before but is it still necessary to book a return flight to gain entry and can I request the visa extension when I land at Manila?

Many Thanks Sorry if this has been covered before.

Baz
I believe you can get your first extension at the airport, although you may struggle if you are landing in the middle of the night. If you are not arriving until August I'd get a 59 day before you leave.
Old May 19th 2016, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

First, welcome to the forum and of course the Philippines.

I am told you can get an extension 24/7 at the airport, although as Gazza implies it may take a little longer to find someone on duty very late at night. I got mine at 10.30 at night, took about 20 mins.....make sure you have peso to pay. But, if for some reason you cannot obtain an extension on arrival, remember you have a 30 day visa which gives you plenty of time to extend at a local BI office. Also, if you do arrive late and staying overnight at a local hotel (I used the one at the airport), you can always extend at the BI office next morning which I am told is outside the airport. Unless its the weekend of course. Personally, I see no problem on that score.

You do not have to book a return flight. But an onward flight. Its called a "throwaway ticket". I booked an onward flight to Thailand which was quite cheap. I am told that its rare to be asked to produce it......but better be safe than sorry.

Regards

Pete M

Last edited by Philosophical 11; May 19th 2016 at 12:54 pm.
Old May 19th 2016, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11
First, welcome to the forum and of course the Philippines.

I am told you can get an extension 24/7 at the airport, although as Gazza implies it may take a little longer to find someone on duty very late at night. I got mine at 10.30 at night, took about 20 mins.....make sure you have peso to pay. But, if for some reason you cannot obtain an extension on arrival, remember you have a 30 day visa which gives you plenty of time to extend at a local BI office. Also, if you do arrive late and staying overnight at a local hotel (I used the one at the airport), you can always extend at the BI office next morning which I am told is outside the airport. Unless its the weekend of course. Personally, I see no problem on that score.

You do not have to book a return flight. But an onward flight. Its called a "throwaway ticket". I booked an onward flight to Thailand which was quite cheap. I am told that its rare to be asked to produce it......but better be safe than sorry.

Regards

Pete M
It is very unlikely that you will be asked at manila, the problem is more likely that you will be refused boarding in the UK.
Old May 19th 2016, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Very true Gazza. It nearly happened to me. I arrived at check-in at Heathrow with an onward flight ticket from Manila. They wrongly insisted I required a return ticket back to the UK. It took about 45 mins to convince various supervisors that an onward ticket and not a return ticket was required. I nearly missed my flight because of this and thought I would have to spend the night at the airport and purchase a return ticket next day. I was just pleased I had done my homework and confident that I was right.

Regards

Pete M
Old May 19th 2016, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

At some time latter this year we will be booking a 'one way' ticket. My wife and I have never had any problems although we always have return tickets. Strangely, its not that more expensive for a return tick. Its certainly not double a one way.

One issue that I do find strange is that we ALWAYS get a balikbayen stamp, even though my wife has a Dutch passport. She has never been asked to show her birth certificate either . I suppose because she looks (is) Filipino they accept it that she is.

My wife is applying for dual citizenship so that I can get a 13A visa, but the hassle and paperwork needed is extremely daunting.
Old May 20th 2016, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where you will be living, if in the provinces the power supply can be very erratic ( I have measured between 59V and 278V incoming voltage in my house ). If you have any decent gadgets ( especially things that need charging razor, toothbrush etc ) it would be worth bringing an inverter ( Sold on Ebay, Amazon etc ), the frequency here is also 60Hz which does not do equipment rated at 50Hz much good.

Stock up on Boots basics TCP, Gaviscon, Savlon, lem-sip etc, there are very good alternatives here but they are not always easy to come across.
Old May 20th 2016, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikek1
At some time latter this year we will be booking a 'one way' ticket. My wife and I have never had any problems although we always have return tickets. Strangely, its not that more expensive for a return tick. Its certainly not double a one way.

One issue that I do find strange is that we ALWAYS get a balikbayen stamp, even though my wife has a Dutch passport. She has never been asked to show her birth certificate either . I suppose because she looks (is) Filipino they accept it that she is.

My wife is applying for dual citizenship so that I can get a 13A visa, but the hassle and paperwork needed is extremely daunting.
Mikek1, the reason you never have trouble is because the check-in computer indicates your ticket type. If it only sees a single then your problems start. If your wife remains a former filipino citizen you get a 13g instead of a 13a. It's far easier to get your 13a in the UK than wait until you get to the Philippines.
Old May 20th 2016, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Mikek1, the reason you never have trouble is because the check-in computer indicates your ticket type. If it only sees a single then your problems start. If your wife remains a former filipino citizen you get a 13g instead of a 13a. It's far easier to get your 13a in the UK than wait until you get to the Philippines.
I hate to muddy the waters even more but I have traveled from the UK to Manila on a single ticket before ( albeit in 2008 & 2014 ) as I was supposed to be going on to Australia in 2008 when I left, but at the time of buying the ticket I did not know if it was Perth or Sydney. The only problem I encounted was in Aberdeen who would book my luggage through to Manila but I had to check-in again in Amsterdam for the final leg, they just asked a couple of questions and boarding card was given. I did it again LHR to MNL in 2014, no questions asked this time.

Be safe and buy a Cebu Pacific Clark to Hong Kong ticket for P3559. I might have just been lucky or look extremely honest ( go with the first )
Old May 20th 2016, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza070958 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Arriving Soon !!!!!

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I hate to muddy the waters even more but I have traveled from the UK to Manila on a single ticket before ( albeit in 2008 & 2014 ) as I was supposed to be going on to Australia in 2008 when I left, but at the time of buying the ticket I did not know if it was Perth or Sydney. The only problem I encounted was in Aberdeen who would book my luggage through to Manila but I had to check-in again in Amsterdam for the final leg, they just asked a couple of questions and boarding card was given. I did it again LHR to MNL in 2014, no questions asked this time.

Be safe and buy a Cebu Pacific Clark to Hong Kong ticket for P3559. I might have just been lucky or look extremely honest ( go with the first )
Thanks yes I might just do that but I'm afraid I'm not very innocent looking So I might have to book the return or at least have an on going flight
Old Jun 19th 2016, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look on Cebu Air and other cheap airlines and you should be able to find cheap flights to Indonesia or Malaysia. Much cheaper than a return.

I've flown into Philippines on a one way ticket three or four times and every time I have had to show an outward bound ticket.

I've heard stories of people not having a ticket having to buy a ticket at the airport, which could prove very costly!
Old Jun 19th 2016, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon1983
Look on Cebu Air and other cheap airlines and you should be able to find cheap flights to Indonesia or Malaysia. Much cheaper than a return.

I've flown into Philippines on a one way ticket three or four times and every time I have had to show an outward bound ticket.

I've heard stories of people not having a ticket having to buy a ticket at the airport, which could prove very costly!
This happened to me last year. Flying from Singapore into Cebu on a single ticket. At check in they insisted that I buy an onward ticket before allowing me to check in. Amidst all the crowds I had to locate Cebu Pacific ticket counter and purchase a Cebu - Singapore ticket.