Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Any young westerners here residing in the Philippines?

Any young westerners here residing in the Philippines?

Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

ChasingSunrays is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any young westerners here residing in the Philippines?

As a part time resident of the Philippines (Visayan islands), I would love to hear from anyone around my age, who is living here in the Philippines. There seem to be lots of retirees, but it would be great to hear from some younger people, particularly western women, whom I rarely come across.

Would love to swap tales of life in the Philippines...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:35 am
Just Joined

kc5169 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any young westerners here residing in the Philippines?

I see your residing in the Visayas area. Well, i'm 33, still consider myself young but I'm residing in Manila right now.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

fxman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChasingSunrays
As a part time resident of the Philippines (Visayan islands), I would love to hear from anyone around my age, who is living here in the Philippines. There seem to be lots of retirees, but it would be great to hear from some younger people, particularly western women, whom I rarely come across.

Would love to swap tales of life in the Philippines...
Hi ChasingSunrays, just curious, how do you find the Philippines? The people and the country? I heard they are friendly.

How would someone be able work and live in the Philippines? IS it easy to apply for a work permit? Is work abundant? I fancy visiting it first. Sorry for loads of questions.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:38 am
Just Joined

kamatis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fxman
Hi ChasingSunrays, just curious, how do you find the Philippines? The people and the country? I heard they are friendly.

How would someone be able work and live in the Philippines? IS it easy to apply for a work permit? Is work abundant? I fancy visiting it first. Sorry for loads of questions.

Thanks.
Living in Philippines is heavn specially on Island of palawan which is distant from rest or RP.Foregt about working, the wages are too low even for Filipinos ie $2 aday is typical.Also on permits issued till you are granted permment residence which generally requires you to marry a filipino.

Good news is that costs are so low who needs to work..
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

mark2hutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kamatis
Living in Philippines is heavn specially on Island of palawan which is distant from rest or RP.Foregt about working, the wages are too low even for Filipinos ie $2 aday is typical.Also on permits issued till you are granted permment residence which generally requires you to marry a filipino.

Good news is that costs are so low who needs to work..
Hi, wondered if you could answer me a couple of questions. I'm an ex serviceman who has lived all over the world. My partner is a filipino and we'll be getting married sometime in the next couple of years. I have visited Samar where she is from and must say the poverty is bad, not really interested in settling down there.
I am interested in moving somewhere near Cebu and possibly buying some accommodation to rent to college staff and pupils.
Do you think it is feasible to emigrate with between £60-100,000 with a £10,000 pa army pension? I know property is rerelativelyheap but also understand it's rising rapidly.

If you or anyone could give me some ideas I would appreciate it, getting really fed up with UK and at 42yrs think I'm young enough to enjoy a better life than this. My only concern is putting everything in to this and not having the means (safety net) to get back to UK if all fails. Happened to a relative of mine who will have to work well in to retirement.

Any help would be great,

Cheers!!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

mattwilkie is an unknown quantity at this point

multiple post here

Firstly im located in Minglanila Cebu, aged 34 and married to a Filipina. Your welcome to have a chat or pick my brains

Second question you really need to look at what you want as regards to standard of living in Cebu. For me and my wife we live within a compound which we can live on as little as £200 a month inclusive of all bills.

You can pick up a 4 - 5 bedroom house for around £20,000 - £30,000
Electronics are overpriced so if you want a large screen TV etc expect to be hit in the wallet.
Car imports to the Philippines carry 100% tax so generally cars are brought in illegally or as parts and rebuilt. But you can pick up a suzuki 6 seater small minibus type vehicle for less than £1,000 I wouldnt advise buying a new vehicle for two reasons 1. Good chance it will be stolen new or old.
2. Can draw unwanted attention.
The public services are pretty good getting a multicab from my house to the town is around 6pence. So if you can get away without a car you can get around easily with Multicab,tricycle or Taxi.
Let me know what details you would like and ill supply what i can.

But i would have thought with £100k i would personally invest £50k and then use the other £50k as your resettlement fund. £10k for an annual income would be fine depending on if you rent or have purchased with the £50k how many people are moving with you? I have two 1 bedroom houses being built at the moment where the rents will be around £1200 per year as a unfitted home. If kitted out with furniture etc. It would be higher.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

mark2hutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Matt for the reply. Both my partner and I were very pleased to hear from you. I still have some questions if you don't mind?

Did you buy land then build, or was the property already built? Would you recommend this way of buying property? Did I hear wrong, if I am married to a Filipino can I own property in the Philippines? For some reason I think foreigners can't own, but that doesn't sound quite right as I am aware that there are a lot of wealthy Easterners that own property there.

You asked how I would like to live. Well, the idea of being able to be close to the sea, own my own small boat, fish most days, live in some luxury and feel safe and secure what I'm aiming for.

I had a little bit of a problem with the poverty, do you become used to seeing it all the time or can you keep away from it where you live? I was upset by some of the scenes in the back streets of Cebu and felt like I wanted to help people, but am aware that this really is not possible. I lived in Hong Kong for a couple of years. Although the poverty is not on the same scale, I did adapt to some of it.

I am currently a police officer and would not want to work when I move. However, I was a professional musician and if needs be would do some teaching to supplement my income if neccessary.

What about health care, do you pay much insurance and do you think you would ever have a problem getting the best care?

My email address is <<email address removed>> if you would rather correspond that way?I look forward to hearing from you, a great opportunity for me to get your opinions.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by NC Penguin; Dec 13th 2008 at 9:00 pm. Reason: Email address of poster removed. Please use Private Messaging instead.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:58 am
Just Joined

ncmh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chasing Sunrays, i've just moved to Cebu. Would be great to meet other western women here. I just turned 30 so not sure if that counts as young!! Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. ncmh
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Southseastrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I am a young 67 yr Candian living in Central Palawan which has to be nearest place to Heaven I ever discovered.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:01 am
Banned

Ryantalk is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm from the midlands been here in manila for 2 years now and always looking for fellow Brits and westerners drop me a message if you come to manila and lets get drink anyone else in the area drop me a message or email will be looking forward to hearing from you
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:16 am
Just Joined

walkyria is an unknown quantity at this point

Southseastrader

what is the name of the area in palawan you stay at?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

want2b_in_Manila is an unknown quantity at this point

Cebu is nice
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

racvian is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently working in Makati.. drop me a message & let's get drink
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Barsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Southseastrader

I don't know if you are still visiting the forum but I would like to know how you are doing in central Palawan.
How long have you been there?
I am also a Canadian and looking forward to relocate to Palawan but would like to know more about the area from a person who knows the place.
Thank you for answering
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Southseastrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Barsky
An email is on its way..
Somedays we think we should not share Palawan with too many people because its a special place almost unique in the world..

But the folks here are generally wonderful and are dirt poor and so any "cano" (foreigner) that comes here with friendly intentions does so much good with even just spending a basic pension here..
SST