Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

13a visa is it a good choice

13a visa is it a good choice

Closed Thread

Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:39 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: South Wales UK.
Posts: 3
mab nesta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 13a visa is it a good choice

Hi Everybody,

I am married to a Filipina and about to move to the Philippines I am not sure about my tax position. Would getting a 13a visa be my best route bearing in mind that I am already retired?

mab nesta.
mab nesta is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:39 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,028
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

I have a 13a visa and it makes me a resident NOT a citizen. Therefore i do not pay taxes here on my UK pension or investment income arising outside of the Philippines.

Many of us open accounts with BPI in the UK at earls court and open an account with them here we then transfer funds on line and use ATM card to draw the cash, pay bills here on line etc.

Suggest you get your 13a before you get here.

If not arrive on a Balikbayan arrangement and upgrade to 13a, you have 12 months to do that . Some do not bother, they leave the country once a year and return on Balikbayan with a cheap onward ticket they throw away
mikemike is online now  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 2:16 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,896
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

As mikemike says, you will not pay local taxes on pensions etc remitted here, BUT you may be liable for some UK tax. Basically, you can claim tax relief on PRIVATE pensions under the UK/Philippine double Taxation Treaty - Using form DTT individual - once you have been out of the UK for a full tax year. Any refund is backdated to the date you become resident here. However, the State pension and other government pensions - police, fire, teachers etc are excluded from this treaty. If your total income from these pensions is above the tax free allowance then HMRC will tax it in UK.
Form DT individual - dtindividual.pdf

Don't forget to fill in form P85 and send to HMRC, ideally before leaving the UK. you may get some tax back depending on when you leave the UK. If you want more details, send me a PM and I'll give you the full lowdown!
quiltman is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:02 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Marikina Philippines
Posts: 160
Bealinehx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

To add to mikemike if you choose to arrive as a Balikbayan and you are travelling with your spouse you do not require an onward ticket. You marriage certificate should also be submitted on arrival.
Bealinehx is online now  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:21 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
David Mashael's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Davao
Posts: 196
David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

Originally Posted by Bealinehx View Post
To add to mikemike if you choose to arrive as a Balikbayan and you are travelling with your spouse you do not require an onward ticket. You marriage certificate should also be submitted on arrival.
This has been debated few times before. You're right that you do not need an onward ticket as far as Philippines immigration is concerned, however, not all airlines are aware of this and still insist on seeing an onward ticket before allowing you to check in for your flight to Fils.
David Mashael is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:25 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
David Mashael's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Davao
Posts: 196
David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
I have a 13a visa and it makes me a resident NOT a citizen. Therefore i do not pay taxes here on my UK pension or investment income arising outside of the Philippines.

Many of us open accounts with BPI in the UK at earls court and open an account with them here we then transfer funds on line and use ATM card to draw the cash, pay bills here on line etc.

Suggest you get your 13a before you get here.

If not arrive on a Balikbayan arrangement and upgrade to 13a, you have 12 months to do that . Some do not bother, they leave the country once a year and return on Balikbayan with a cheap onward ticket they throw away
I was hoping to obtain a 13a visa before moving to Fils full time later this year. Unfortunately after enquiring at the Philippines consulate here in Dubai, seems that they cannot issue the 13a visa here. I will have to arrive on a Balikbayan privilege and upgrade to the 13a there. Is that a difficult process?
David Mashael is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:09 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Marikina Philippines
Posts: 160
Bealinehx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

The solution regarding an onward ticket is to email the Bureau of Immigration asking for clarification. I do this and present the BI email reply at check in. Problem solved
Bealinehx is online now  
Old Apr 18th 2017, 12:51 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,028
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

Originally Posted by David Mashael View Post
I was hoping to obtain a 13a visa before moving to Fils full time later this year. Unfortunately after enquiring at the Philippines consulate here in Dubai, seems that they cannot issue the 13a visa here. I will have to arrive on a Balikbayan privilege and upgrade to the 13a there. Is that a difficult process?
The process is just a long drawn out waste of time and effort. their country their rules

suggest you go the their web page and follow the instructions
mikemike is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service