British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   13a visa is it a good choice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/13a-visa-good-choice-895470/)

mab nesta Apr 16th 2017 7:39 pm

13a visa is it a good choice

Hi Everybody,

I am married to a Filipina and about to move to the Philippines I am not sure about my tax position. Would getting a 13a visa be my best route bearing in mind that I am already retired?

mab nesta.

mikemike Apr 17th 2017 12:39 am

Re: 13a visa is it a good choice

I have a 13a visa and it makes me a resident NOT a citizen. Therefore i do not pay taxes here on my UK pension or investment income arising outside of the Philippines.

Many of us open accounts with BPI in the UK at earls court and open an account with them here we then transfer funds on line and use ATM card to draw the cash, pay bills here on line etc.

Suggest you get your 13a before you get here.

If not arrive on a Balikbayan arrangement and upgrade to 13a, you have 12 months to do that . Some do not bother, they leave the country once a year and return on Balikbayan with a cheap onward ticket they throw away

quiltman Apr 17th 2017 1:16 am

As mikemike says, you will not pay local taxes on pensions etc remitted here, BUT you may be liable for some UK tax. Basically, you can claim tax relief on PRIVATE pensions under the UK/Philippine double Taxation Treaty - Using form DTT individual - once you have been out of the UK for a full tax year. Any refund is backdated to the date you become resident here. However, the State pension and other government pensions - police, fire, teachers etc are excluded from this treaty. If your total income from these pensions is above the tax free allowance then HMRC will tax it in UK.
Form DT individual - dtindividual.pdf

Don't forget to fill in form P85 and send to HMRC, ideally before leaving the UK. you may get some tax back depending on when you leave the UK. If you want more details, send me a PM and I'll give you the full lowdown!

Bealinehx Apr 17th 2017 2:02 am

To add to mikemike if you choose to arrive as a Balikbayan and you are travelling with your spouse you do not require an onward ticket. You marriage certificate should also be submitted on arrival.

David Mashael Apr 17th 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bealinehx (Post 12230490)
To add to mikemike if you choose to arrive as a Balikbayan and you are travelling with your spouse you do not require an onward ticket. You marriage certificate should also be submitted on arrival.

This has been debated few times before. You're right that you do not need an onward ticket as far as Philippines immigration is concerned, however, not all airlines are aware of this and still insist on seeing an onward ticket before allowing you to check in for your flight to Fils.

David Mashael Apr 17th 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12230465)
I have a 13a visa and it makes me a resident NOT a citizen. Therefore i do not pay taxes here on my UK pension or investment income arising outside of the Philippines.

Many of us open accounts with BPI in the UK at earls court and open an account with them here we then transfer funds on line and use ATM card to draw the cash, pay bills here on line etc.

Suggest you get your 13a before you get here.

If not arrive on a Balikbayan arrangement and upgrade to 13a, you have 12 months to do that . Some do not bother, they leave the country once a year and return on Balikbayan with a cheap onward ticket they throw away

I was hoping to obtain a 13a visa before moving to Fils full time later this year. Unfortunately after enquiring at the Philippines consulate here in Dubai, seems that they cannot issue the 13a visa here. I will have to arrive on a Balikbayan privilege and upgrade to the 13a there. Is that a difficult process?

Bealinehx Apr 17th 2017 10:09 pm

The solution regarding an onward ticket is to email the Bureau of Immigration asking for clarification. I do this and present the BI email reply at check in. Problem solved

mikemike Apr 17th 2017 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by David Mashael (Post 12230847)
I was hoping to obtain a 13a visa before moving to Fils full time later this year. Unfortunately after enquiring at the Philippines consulate here in Dubai, seems that they cannot issue the 13a visa here. I will have to arrive on a Balikbayan privilege and upgrade to the 13a there. Is that a difficult process?

The process is just a long drawn out waste of time and effort. their country their rules

suggest you go the their web page and follow the instructions