Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

10 Reasons To Retire in The Philippines

10 Reasons To Retire in The Philippines

Old Mar 29th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 Reasons To Retire in The Philippines

Originally Posted by diy
i havnt been back to england for years, so i cant comment but i agree it was starting to go down hill.
Don't believe everything you read in the papers. It's only the english in england that think it's going down hill. We have about 2 million poles and countless other EU immigrants living here because they are a lot better off than they are at home. It's got an huge amount to drop before thing start to get really bad here.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 4:23 am
diy
Just Joined

diy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Huh? I think you mean the Americans introduced English to the Philippines.
I guess you need to go back and do your homework.

british ruled in philippines for about 2 years period of the spanish war, mainly manila and cavite ,i dont know bout 150 years before the yanks, plus borneo which cross borders sulu was under british rule. before hand over to malayia. what language do you think they spoke.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

googly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diy
yes i am british and english, and you may have had a better education than me. main of my education was in the military, yes i live in the philippines, yes i have pinoy wife 27 years. before anyone ask
No i probably didn't have a better education than you.
So why don't you move to another country if you are so unhappy?
Before you ask i have lived in the Philippines for a long time and i still enjoy every day.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Unlikely that the native population picked up English in such a short time. Most probably English became common when the Americans established free public education and made English the lingua franca in the early 20th Century.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:58 am
diy
Just Joined

Originally Posted by googly
No i probably didn't have a better education than you.
So why don't you move to another country if you are so unhappy?
Before you ask i have lived in the Philippines for a long time and i still enjoy every day.
who said im unhappy, i just dont like it when people over estimate this place, you only leading people into danger.my advice, look at the embassy website and if you ever been involved in the military or the foreign office you now they diplomatically play things down, so what they write is the least upsetting to the host country. i just hope you people feel remorsed if anyone follows your advice and bad things happen.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 7:10 am
diy
Just Joined

Originally Posted by desert-rat
Unlikely that the native population picked up English in such a short time. Most probably English became common when the Americans established free public education and made English the lingua franca in the early 20th Century.
thats why i said introduced,
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:22 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by diy
thats why i said introduced,
On that basis you can say that The British 'introduced' the English language to every single country they visited since the age of exploration - likewise other nations 'introduced' their languages also - which is a bit of an absurd statement.

Your original post inferred that The British were responsible for the Filipinos speaking English, and this is not the case. The Brits occupied Manila and the port of Cavite - they neither ruled (which you suggest) nor colonised the Philippines and their occupation was only as a result of their spat with the Spanish.

The language in the Philippines before, during, and after British occupation of Manila was Spanish and various Filipino dialects. When the Americans colonised the Philippines in 1898 they had a significant impact on the culture and took responsibility for education - and this is when the Filipinos started to learn and speak English.

As I said earlier - I guess you need to go back and do your homework before passing historically inaccurate and misleading comments in reply to other people's contributions.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:02 am
diy
Just Joined

Post Re: 10 Reasons To Retire in The Philippines

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
On that basis you can say that The British 'introduced' the English language to every single country they visited since the age of exploration - likewise other nations 'introduced' their languages also - which is a bit of an absurd statement.

Your original post inferred that The British were responsible for the Filipinos speaking English, and this is not the case. The Brits occupied Manila and the port of Cavite - they neither ruled (which you suggest) nor colonised the Philippines and their occupation was only as a result of their spat with the Spanish.

The language in the Philippines before, during, and after British occupation of Manila was Spanish and various Filipino dialects. When the Americans colonised the Philippines in 1898 they had a significant impact on the culture and took responsibility for education - and this is when the Filipinos started to learn and speak English.

As I said earlier - I guess you need to go back and do your homework before passing historically inaccurate and misleading comments in reply to other people's contributions.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/langu...ilippines.html
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveInGensan
I traveled around Philippines and although I chose Gensan because the cost of living is lower, I would have to say Cebu is probably the most foreigner-friendly city I visited. You are right to provide this kind of info here.
To Nonthaburi; Yes you are negative. If you don't like the place, leave. Philippines is awesome and the food is great. There are lots of local food restaurants, so I am guessing you don't get out much. Like anything else, some are good and some not so... but generally, filipino food is fresh healthy and delicious!

I don't live there so I can't leave. Just saying what I think. There do seem to be a lot of natural disasters there.

And I have never seen a Filipino restaurant anywhere on my travels. If the food is so great why is that? It's a bit strange when Filipinos are everywhere.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:04 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

LOL

Sadly Loveleena Rajeev does not have a successful track record on historical accuracy nor much credibility in the academic world. Anyone can put together a website and impart inaccurate information on it. The scary part is when people begin to trust that information.

If you wish to genuinely believe that by occupying Manila and a strategic port for 2 years Britain was somehow responsible for Filipinos speaking English then I guess I really can't help you.

Seriously, if you did a bit more research you would change your view.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I don't live there so I can't leave. Just saying what I think. There do seem to be a lot of natural disasters there.

And I have never seen a Filipino restaurant anywhere on my travels. If the food is so great why is that? It's a bit strange when Filipinos are everywhere.
The are many filipino restaurant around the world, usually were the density of filipinos it larger. I have been to Maxx's in San Fransisco and I believe there are several Jollybees around the world. The only true filipino food restaurant I have eaten in, in the UK was in Lakenheath. I'm afraid it doesn't cater for the UK taste, just the usual mostly cold uninspiring fare that you would get in a carinderia.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I saw one in Singapore when I was living there. It looked quite interesting food. I meant to try it then forgot <doh>. The Spanish influence food wise is interesting. Great people though.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 2:44 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that Filipino food isn't famous around the world in the same way as Indian / Chinese / Thai / French / Italian etc . Which makes me wonder if it is any good or liked by people who aren't Filipino .
Old Mar 30th 2013, 2:57 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very good point Nonthaburi. I wish I had tried it but I didn't have to say I've not seen any eateries here in Penang.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that Filipino food isn't famous around the world in the same way as Indian / Chinese / Thai / French / Italian etc . Which makes me wonder if it is any good or liked by people who aren't Filipino .
My wife and a friend run a small filipino catering business here in the UK and it's very popular with both filipinos and english alike. The important thing is to offer food more normal to the western taste. Sort of westernized filipino food, chicken off the bone, western cuts of meat, and hot. If prepared well filipino food is very nice, badly prepared and it's not so nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.