Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

10 Reasons To Retire in The Philippines

10 Reasons To Retire in The Philippines

Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 Reasons To Retire in The Philippines

Filipino shops and restaurants in all the urban areas of the Middler East.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the Filipino shops in UK do take away, or cater for parties. Many advertise in Pahayagan or the Filipino.
I believe there was a Filipino eatery in Shepherds Bush, but I never did go to it. I was told that it was attached to a shop selling Filipino food. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

googly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diy
who said im unhappy, i just dont like it when people over estimate this place, you only leading people into danger.my advice, look at the embassy website and if you ever been involved in the military or the foreign office you now they diplomatically play things down, so what they write is the least upsetting to the host country. i just hope you people feel remorsed if anyone follows your advice and bad things happen.
If you look at the OP it was a filipino that started the thread, trying to advertise their bosses business.
The Philippines has good and bad points like any other country.
In my opinion you seem unhappy as all you have said so far about the Philippines is negative.
Do you have anything positive to say?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:36 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by diy
heres 10 reasons not to
exchange rate is bad for the pound
the government doesnt have control of the country
security is bad and terrorist and kidnapping is rife, not just in the south,npa in the north is as bad just not publicised. crimes against foreigners are high.
transportation is bad, airlines are band from europe, land transport is dangerous.check embassy website
the country is racsist, if your white especially, you cannot by land, own a gun, you cannot start business without pinoy partners. you are not seen as a human being only as dollars. if you buy a condo it has a life span of 50 years then they have to pull it down, why do you think its the only property you can buy. etc
the poor beg and the rich want you to invest, all are scams
the pinoy pride themself for hospitality and service, but in reality its a front, if you ever have to go to governent offices, meralco, water district etc theres no smiles, your problem isnt solved. theres no answers and you will get moved from one line to the next.
water and electric is unreliable, blackouts , water cut of for days without notice.
if you build a house, its likely you either get a piggery, squatters or other eyesore built next door without permits.
you meet people like piero
i can go on all day
save your money, you will have a better time in if you retire in thailand or malaysia.
cambodia and vetnam is progressing also faster than here. all these places have better things to see and do.
Interesting comments, but maybe you should travel around more, as these points you have raised are pretty much duplicated everywhere, China is the fastest growing country in Asia, yet almost everything you have listed applies here too, OK no one can buy a gun in China.
Every country has its bad points, they are just "Tuned" to that countries lifestyle, however, when balanced against said countries good points,you can see why people enjoy living in these countries.
By using common sense, learning and understanding local culture/language, by not appearing aloof or elitist and mixing with the local population, then most ex-pats can and do live an enjoyable and never boring life in their adopted country.

Oh and smiling and having a positive outlook also helps

Last edited by kevray; Mar 31st 2013 at 3:37 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 31st 2013, 5:54 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Filipino shops and restaurants in all the urban areas of the Middler East.
but they are catering to Filipinos just because there are a lot of them there .
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
but they are catering to Filipinos just because there are a lot of them there .
By western tastes and making a sweeping generalization, on the whole compared to other foods in the region like Chinese, thi, even Indian, in my opinion Filipino food is pretty bland and uninspiring stuff.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:30 am
Just Joined

coogee is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in the philippines in davao five years now probably the safest city i have ever lived in that is because there is a code here if you step outside of it they kill you so we foriegners enjoy freedom here we party till the early hours knowing that we are safe before i left uk i lived in watford three times i was attacked walking into town the last time a man wearing a turban tried to cut my head off with a sword case of mistaken identity most dangerous here is the mosquito's as my wife and myself have both caught dengue i have a love hate relationship with the phils but i do so love to be warm and cost of living is cheap
Old Jun 1st 2013, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

I am on holiday at the moment in Puerto Galera... I can see the reason many people do retire here...

Beachside accommodation can be cheap for monthly rentals.

Some food is a bit expensive though
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:41 am
Banned

PennyA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by desert-rat
Nothing wrong with promoting Cebu. Its beautiful apart from the city.
It certainly is! Wonderful place
Old Aug 31st 2013, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

Brettos