British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Overseas Removals, Shipping & Storage Advice and Information from Bournes International Moves (https://britishexpats.com/forum/overseas-removals-shipping-storage-advice-information-bournes-international-moves-193/)
-   -   How much it will cost me to move back from USA to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/overseas-removals-shipping-storage-advice-information-bournes-international-moves-193/how-much-will-cost-me-move-back-usa-uk-921811/)

gabori6423 Feb 6th 2019 11:10 am

How much it will cost me to move back from USA to UK

I am considering to move back to the UK with my parents in the next few months, so i have no idea of relocating prices and discounts. I was raised in the USA when my parents first came here. So, guys, what prices should i expect for a full house removal and what are the time periods of the whole process?
Can someone who already faced this big challenge tell me more about the process?
I want to avoid all kind of stress that comes with it.
Regards.

kirstyp Feb 7th 2019 7:50 am

Re: How much it will cost me to move back from USA to UK

Hi and welcome to British Expats :)

Where in the USA are you moving from? This will play a factor in your costs/time period.
For a full house move you're likely to use a sole use container (either 20 or 40ft) so this will be speedier than a shared load service.

Costs can vary wildly depending on your individual circumstances, things like the quantity of belongings you want to move, location of your origin and destination and access to your properties (both internal and external), the services you need help with (e.g. just packing or dismantling etc.), special care items that might need crating like motorbikes, valuable/fragile artwork etc. So best thing to do is to get a few quotes, we normally recommend 3 to give you a good comparison. You'll be offered a free home visit and quote so a surveyor will come to your home to find out more about your individual move and asses all the things above before giving you a tailored price and move plan.

In terms of choosing a company we always recommend to look for a FIDI FAIM certified company to make sure your mover is pre-vetted to ensure they hold all the right experience and qualifications for international moving and have demonstrated the standards required to reduce the risk of anything going wrong. You can choose a mover based in the USA who will handle the packing/loading and then contract a partner to do the delivery and unpacking in the UK, or contract a UK company who will appoint a partner in the US for the packing loading and then will handle customs clearance and delivery themselves. Whoever you contract with will handle all your planning and coordination to make sure everything runs smoothly.

There are lots of other tips about choosing movers and planning your move in our International Removals guide and i'm sure some of the other members will share their experiences and some cost guides with you based on their individual circumstances to give you a feel for things and some personal recommendations.

Hope that helps?

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 17th 2021 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by kirstyp (Post 12633629)
Hi and welcome to British Expats :)

Where in the USA are you moving from? This will play a factor in your costs/time period.
For a full house move you're likely to use a sole use container (either 20 or 40ft) so this will be speedier than a shared load service.

Costs can vary wildly depending on your individual circumstances, things like the quantity of belongings you want to move, location of your origin and destination and access to your properties (both internal and external), the services you need help with (e.g. just packing or dismantling etc.), special care items that might need crating like motorbikes, valuable/fragile artwork etc. So best thing to do is to get a few quotes, we normally recommend 3 to give you a good comparison. You'll be offered a free home visit and quote so a surveyor will come to your home to find out more about your individual move and asses all the things above before giving you a tailored price and move plan.

In terms of choosing a company we always recommend to look for a FIDI FAIM certified company to make sure your mover is pre-vetted to ensure they hold all the right experience and qualifications for international moving and have demonstrated the standards required to reduce the risk of anything going wrong. You can choose a mover based in the USA who will handle the packing/loading and then contract a partner to do the delivery and unpacking in the UK, or contract a UK company who will appoint a partner in the US for the packing loading and then will handle customs clearance and delivery themselves. Whoever you contract with will handle all your planning and coordination to make sure everything runs smoothly.

There are lots of other tips about choosing movers and planning your move in our International Removals guide and i'm sure some of the other members will share their experiences and some cost guides with you based on their individual circumstances to give you a feel for things and some personal recommendations.

Hope that helps?

I know this is an old post so i think it could be updated today 09/17/2021 i have made the move to go back to the UK and it has taken me several weeks to undertake this task as the covid and the volatile shipping market has gone mad. my experience is this most moving companies that you find from the internet are hell bent on giving you a full door to door service that includes all the packing and loading and unloading of your items and for a 3 bedroom home this i have been quoted as high as 12,500 dollars as apposed to me doing all of the work packing and loading the container which started out at approximately 4000 dollars and today i finalized at 6000 because i had waited 3 weeks to seal the contract which states the move is for mid October who knows how much more it will rise in the near future so anyone contemplating the move needs to do so as soon as possible.
I hope this helps someone.

Lion in Winter Sep 25th 2021 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by wookie (Post 13052699)
I know this is an old post so i think it could be updated today 09/17/2021 i have made the move to go back to the UK and it has taken me several weeks to undertake this task as the covid and the volatile shipping market has gone mad. my experience is this most moving companies that you find from the internet are hell bent on giving you a full door to door service that includes all the packing and loading and unloading of your items and for a 3 bedroom home this i have been quoted as high as 12,500 dollars as apposed to me doing all of the work packing and loading the container which started out at approximately 4000 dollars and today i finalized at 6000 because i had waited 3 weeks to seal the contract which states the move is for mid October who knows how much more it will rise in the near future so anyone contemplating the move needs to do so as soon as possible.
I hope this helps someone.

Can I ask what company you are using (pm if needed) and where in the US you are leaving from?

I just got a rough quote (based on my description of our stuff, not on their survey) of 7 - 8k USD for a full service move of a 2-bedroom apt walk up 3rd floor, with a 20ft container, from Chicago to a rough 100-mile area around London. This would be for next year.

We are not able to do all the packing and loading ourselves,

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 25th 2021 9:11 pm

OK thank you for the reply i have had all kinds of nightmares over this move.
the word keeps coming back to me that the shipping market is so volatile at the the moment i see some congestion but not everywhere any how i started with a low quote of 3800 for a door to door service that that i pack and load and unload the container at the destination which is not a deal breaker for me but less than 4 weeks later that price for the same service rose to 6000 an all other services were at 8 to 12,500 for the full move.
it would seem as though there are a lot of moving companies and they want only to do a full service nothing less.
i on the other hand went to a container transport company hence the lower cost.
the company name i went with are really easy to get along with shipping my goods and have a website with the same name just add a dot com at the end of their name i live at this time in Alabama 50 miles from mobile and i am moving to Northamptonshire.
anyone making this move should also be aware of the minefield out there with the new customs rules and avail themselves of the international shipping rules too as even though you ma go for the full service you will need to take care of a certain amount of paperwork and it would be worthwhile to do a search for the shipping ports around England as not all of the American companies are familiar with them and may unintentionally steer you wrong.
I hope this helps someone else.

MikeyF Dec 30th 2021 9:00 pm

There are a ton of variables in your question. My knee jerk reaction is that it won't be cheap. Things that will affect the price include how much you need moved, where in the US you're going (how far mainly) and what services you request. If you're curious about some of the other things that come into play, take a look at this guide from <snip> it covers a lot of the questions you probably have and you can also get an estimate from them without doing too much other than telling them what you need and where you're going. Hope this helps & good luck.

christmasoompa Dec 30th 2021 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyF (Post 13084912)
There are a ton of variables in your question. My knee jerk reaction is that it won't be cheap. Things that will affect the price include how much you need moved, where in the US you're going (how far mainly) and what services you request. If you're curious about some of the other things that come into play, take a look at this guide from <snip> it covers a lot of the questions you probably have and you can also get an estimate from them without doing too much other than telling them what you need and where you're going. Hope this helps & good luck.

Sorry, but I’ve had to remove the website you linked to. It’s rather odd that you’ve posted it anyway as a newbie, but it’s certainly not a reputable company. Their ‘about us’ page is just stock images of random people with fake bios and they’ve got fake reviews on their website too. Dodgy as hell and certainly not a company we can have linked to on BE.

Thx.

Clonker Feb 13th 2022 4:20 pm

There's no way to truly know the cost without getting an estimate. There are simply too many variables that will affect the price. For example, what part of the US and what part of the UK, how much stuff you need moved, what other types of services you may need (for example storage, etc.). There are enough international moving companies that operate between the US & UK that you can easily find out what they'd charge by giving them a ring and seeing what sort of estimate they give you. I know <snip> is a good option if you're trying to save some money and I've had good luck with them in the past. I'm sure there are several others too. Call up two or three and if you get estimates in the same range, you'll have your answer.