Go Back  British Expats > Partner Forums > Overseas Money Transfer – Ask the experts
Reload this Page >

Need to transfer TO MYSELF from US bank account to UK Nationwide Bldg Society

Need to transfer TO MYSELF from US bank account to UK Nationwide Bldg Society

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice
Default Need to transfer TO MYSELF from US bank account to UK Nationwide Bldg Society

Hi,
I need to transfer funds from my Wells Fargo US bank account to my Nationwide Building Society account in the UK. (approx $200 to $500 per month, though not on a fixed basis... I need it to be flexible).
I have transferred money before (in both directions) but get charged high bank fees both ends.
Does anyone know of an easy and cheap way to make these transfers?
(I'm a Brit living in California).
Many thanks!
Cheers,
Richard
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Sarah Davie is just really niceSarah Davie is just really niceSarah Davie is just really niceSarah Davie is just really niceSarah Davie is just really niceSarah Davie is just really niceSarah Davie is just really niceSarah Davie is just really nice
Default Re: Need to transfer TO MYSELF from US bank account to UK Nationwide Bldg Society

Hi Richard,

We can help you with your money transfers. We assist many customers to transfer their money to and from the US – the main benefits of using the service are the rates and options of trading.

Firstly addressing the charges; being a British Expat member, you will not have to pay any transaction fees on any of your transfers through Moneycorp.

If you are transferring money from the UK, you can set up automated payments which are settled by Direct Debit from your UK bank account. Payment schedules can be set up to suit you i.e. monthly, quarterly or bi-annually.

If you would rather arrange ad-hoc international money transfers to and from the US, as and when you need to, our services are quick and easy to use. You can use our online system. You’ll simply need to log on, book an exchange rate and send your currency wherever you need to. This online facility also allows you to pay with a UK GBP debit card.

If you are transferring money from the US you need to look at a broker who can facilitate these type of transfers. It is important you are working with a foreign exchange company who has the necessary regulatory licences.

When transferring small amounts, if you have the flexibility, by grouping payments together for example instead of $200 every month, transfer $600 quarterly or $1000 annually. Reduce the number of transfers reduces the number of times you need to pay bank charges through your bank.
I hope this helps

Kind regards,

Sarah
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Snowdaisy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need to transfer TO MYSELF from US bank account to UK Nationwide Bldg Society

Richard

You may already have sorted out your banking stuff...however, did you know that Bank of America and Barclays Bank have an affiliation?

Although there would be charges if you were processing a transfer...there is another way...once your money goes in BOA (in US)...it can be drawn in cash from a Barclays ATM (UK) free of charge.

Of course this does involve someone in the UK having an BOA debit card (of the same account).

I always leave my BOA debit card for my son to carry on drawing money for us whilst we are in the US...You can draw up to £500 at a time.

All the best
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Snowdaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowcrystal
Richard

You may already have sorted out your banking stuff...however, did you know that Bank of America and Barclays Bank have an affiliation?

Although there would be charges if you were processing a transfer...there is another way...once your money goes in BOA (in US)...it can be drawn in cash from a Barclays ATM (UK) with your BOA debit card totally free of charge.

Of course this does involve someone in the UK having an BOA debit card (of the same account).

I always leave my BOA debit card for my son to carry on drawing money for us whilst we are in the US...You can draw up to £500 at a time.

All the best

ps:....I believe that you can add someone in the UK onto the account....but not too too sure.