Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

A Year & a bit ...................

A Year & a bit ...................

Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold
Default A Year & a bit ...................

Well I thought I had better put 'pen to paper' ( is there a modern version of this) er finger to button just doesn't seem the same. Anyway as always I digress.....We have now been here a full year and a bit, and cannot believe how fast it has gone in some ways and so slowly in others.When we look at what we have done ,we can't believe we have been here only a year. We try to make the most of all of our spare time and are still in awe of the beauty that surrounds us.

Having season's has been great and the different flowers, birds and scenic differences in the landscapes have been so lovely. I am amazed because I never really noticed when in the U.K ,but here I also take everything in.

We have parakeets in the trees as work, in the UK just pidgeons and I said how gorgeous they were. A colleague said they were pests and they shoot them !! I couldn't believe it - I said in the UK we would be chasing after them to put in a cage and people paid money to see them ! funny old world ......

We have still been on long walks and been around and about. Driving to Auckland only takes a few hours and people think we are mad cos we have been just for a 'run out'.

The OH is more 'kiwified' than me and has felt the cold this winter ( it has NOT been cold - he's just Mr Softy) and has moaned about the traffic ( there is NO traffic in comparison to the U.K,not even in Auckland).He wore shorts until May and is now back in shorts. he does get a few weird looks. I think it's funny seeing people I work with in 'big' coats and scarves and they think I'm weird in either a 'mac' or jacket. They thought I was ill when I wore short sleeves !

We have got a good group of friends and the girlfriends I have made through work and the netball have filled a gap from those we left behind. I miss still my girlfriends soooo much in the UK but have had a few girly nights out here and have a few more to look forward to.
Our friends are a mixture of expats , Kiwi's and Ozzies and our circle of friends grows all the time.

When we first arrived we wanted the house by the beach but have also looked at rural - ohh I soooo wanted chooks and a dog and a horse and to live in the country with a drive on tractor - UNTIL a big reality check made me realise I am still a townie and now love it where we are ..half way to rural and half way to beach. I never could make my mind up - I wonder sometimes how we ever got here !

We have now bought a section - bit of land and will hopefully have a house for christmas - we would NEVER have been able to do this in the U.k , my OH is in his element and it has been stressful but he would not have it any other way & he lives with me so is used to it !

My 16 year old ( nearly 17 ) has had waves of like it , hates it and has seen his friends in the UK leave school & go to college etc on facebook and does get homesick. We have said when he is 18 ( next year) he can make his own decisions but he does talk about doing a business degree and still wants a dog , so we work through it and whatever will be will be.
He loves the fact that he has a scooter and also passed his driving test. ( I did everything I could to delay this !! and I still have to sit in the back with my eyes closed when he drives ...well actually that is a lie. I sit with eyes wide open and just say..slow down. watch it !! he HATES it ,,,awwh well like father like son cos I do that to his dad as well !!) It gives him independence and is great for us as well cos we have a taxi YAH .. so can have a little beverage when we go out.

My now 13 year old just celebrated her 13 birthday and what a difference to last year. She had celebrated in the U.K before we left last year and we were in Auckland recovering from jet lag ( still don't know what this is ) and trying to cheer her up , I felt sooo sad for her and guilty. She said NZ was a 2 out of 10 for ages and only a 2 cos we were here. now it's a 10 and she had a great birthday with lots of friends and girly sleepover. She has made friends at school and plays netball with me and for school. She has sleep overs and does all the things she did in the U.K except it includes beaches and outdoor activities. She has started to ride again and now spends her free time at the stables and I am dreading the 'can I have a horse' discussions ..... am using the 'but where will it go' reason at the moment. Her dad thinks if it keeps her away from boys ...........................................
We have lots of mum and daughter time which we did not do in the U.K and I make the most of it whilst it lasts.

Me and the OH have lots of our time together as well and it is soo lovely having our time. Being here has really made us spend time together and strengthened our family. We still have our moments like any couple but usually he see's sense and agrees I was right all along

We keep in touch with friends and family in the UK by skype and email and love getting the news. They ALL tell us we made the right decision which helps. It is hard when special celebrations are happening and we aren't there but we always send our love and they know we are there in spirit.I think it is harder for them.

I think it is sooo easy to be too busy but for me it is soo important keeping in touch and we all make every effort. Not sometimes appreciated when I get them up at 7.00 in the morning especially when they have been out the night before !!
Most have been on summer 2 weeks jollies and are now depressed waiting for another year until their next one. It's been strange for them as we tell them we haven't had the need to go on holiday - people come here for their holidays, so we are very lucky living in paradise !!

It hasn't all been easy and at times especially with the kids we have wondered if we did the right thing but the longer we are here we know we are right.

Yes the salaries are so much lower , the prices of some things are higher and choices of shops are limited. There is still crime , issues and other crap BUT I'll have it here any day.......with bells on xxx
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A Year & a bit ...................

WOW, this is just what I needed, we have been here for just a month, and today we have been looking at the cost to ship us and our stuff back to the UK, none of us (me Allan and 2 boys 13 and nearly 16) have settled, dont know what it is, dont really feel to homesick and have a lovely rental here in Snells beach looking out on a beautiful sea view. All in tears this morning as boys went for their first day at school, they both want to go home, and to be honest we do too. We have the dilema of the eldest schooling as he would be taking his GCSE next year so we could mess his life up big time, also if we dont fulfill the visa requirements (WTR) we could be sent home in 9 months and still mess the lad up with his schooling!! It cost us so much to get here, but everything is still going against us, still waiting on money transfer HiFX COCKED UP!! nearly 2 weeks since I ordered it and it managed to get here then got sent back!
Things seem way more expensive than we thought, and we DID research, feeling really low so wont say anymore, but am in a dilema to know what too do, wait and hope things get better or go home now???
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:17 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=bolton1;8810366]Well I thought I had better put 'pen to paper' ( is there a modern version of this) er finger to button just doesn't seem the same. Anyway as always I digress.....We have now been here a full year and a bit, and cannot believe how fast it has gone in some ways and so slowly in others.When we look at what we have done ,we can't believe we have been here only a year. We try to make the most of all of our spare time and are still in awe of the beauty that surrounds us.

Having season's has been great and the different flowers, birds and scenic differences in the landscapes have been so lovely. I am amazed because I never really noticed when in the U.K ,but here I also take everything in.

We have parakeets in the trees as work, in the UK just pidgeons and I said how gorgeous they were. A colleague said they were pests and they shoot them !! I couldn't believe it - I said in the UK we would be chasing after them to put in a cage and people paid money to see them ! funny old world ......

We have still been on long walks and been around and about. Driving to Auckland only takes a few hours and people think we are mad cos we have been just for a 'run out'.

The OH is more 'kiwified' than me and has felt the cold this winter ( it has NOT been cold - he's just Mr Softy) and has moaned about the traffic ( there is NO traffic in comparison to the U.K,not even in Auckland).He wore shorts until May and is now back in shorts. he does get a few weird looks. I think it's funny seeing people I work with in 'big' coats and scarves and they think I'm weird in either a 'mac' or jacket. They thought I was ill when I wore short sleeves !

We have got a good group of friends and the girlfriends I have made through work and the netball have filled a gap from those we left behind. I miss still my girlfriends soooo much in the UK but have had a few girly nights out here and have a few more to look forward to.
Our friends are a mixture of expats , Kiwi's and Ozzies and our circle of friends grows all the time.

When we first arrived we wanted the house by the beach but have also looked at rural - ohh I soooo wanted chooks and a dog and a horse and to live in the country with a drive on tractor - UNTIL a big reality check made me realise I am still a townie and now love it where we are ..half way to rural and half way to beach. I never could make my mind up - I wonder sometimes how we ever got here !

We have now bought a section - bit of land and will hopefully have a house for christmas - we would NEVER have been able to do this in the U.k , my OH is in his element and it has been stressful but he would not have it any other way & he lives with me so is used to it !

My 16 year old ( nearly 17 ) has had waves of like it , hates it and has seen his friends in the UK leave school & go to college etc on facebook and does get homesick. We have said when he is 18 ( next year) he can make his own decisions but he does talk about doing a business degree and still wants a dog , so we work through it and whatever will be will be.
He loves the fact that he has a scooter and also passed his driving test. ( I did everything I could to delay this !! and I still have to sit in the back with my eyes closed when he drives ...well actually that is a lie. I sit with eyes wide open and just say..slow down. watch it !! he HATES it ,,,awwh well like father like son cos I do that to his dad as well !!) It gives him independence and is great for us as well cos we have a taxi YAH .. so can have a little beverage when we go out.

My now 13 year old just celebrated her 13 birthday and what a difference to last year. She had celebrated in the U.K before we left last year and we were in Auckland recovering from jet lag ( still don't know what this is ) and trying to cheer her up , I felt sooo sad for her and guilty. She said NZ was a 2 out of 10 for ages and only a 2 cos we were here. now it's a 10 and she had a great birthday with lots of friends and girly sleepover. She has made friends at school and plays netball with me and for school. She has sleep overs and does all the things she did in the U.K except it includes beaches and outdoor activities. She has started to ride again and now spends her free time at the stables and I am dreading the 'can I have a horse' discussions ..... am using the 'but where will it go' reason at the moment. Her dad thinks if it keeps her away from boys ...........................................
We have lots of mum and daughter time which we did not do in the U.K and I make the most of it whilst it lasts.

Me and the OH have lots of our time together as well and it is soo lovely having our time. Being here has really made us spend time together and strengthened our family. We still have our moments like any couple but usually he see's sense and agrees I was right all along

We keep in touch with friends and family in the UK by skype and email and love getting the news. They ALL tell us we made the right decision which helps. It is hard when special celebrations are happening and we aren't there but we always send our love and they know we are there in spirit.I think it is harder for them.

I think it is sooo easy to be too busy but for me it is soo important keeping in touch and we all make every effort. Not sometimes appreciated when I get them up at 7.00 in the morning especially when they have been out the night before !!
Most have been on summer 2 weeks jollies and are now depressed waiting for another year until their next one. It's been strange for them as we tell them we haven't had the need to go on holiday - people come here for their holidays, so we are very lucky living in paradise !!

It hasn't all been easy and at times especially with the kids we have wondered if we did the right thing but the longer we are here we know we are right.

Yes the salaries are so much lower , the prices of some things are higher and choices of shops are limited. There is still crime , issues and other crap BUT I'll have it here any day.......with bells on xxx[/QUO

That was good to read
yep the time goes so fast its unreal
take care out there and good luck
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alchris
WOW, this is just what I needed, we have been here for just a month, and today we have been looking at the cost to ship us and our stuff back to the UK, none of us (me Allan and 2 boys 13 and nearly 16) have settled, dont know what it is, dont really feel to homesick and have a lovely rental here in Snells beach looking out on a beautiful sea view. All in tears this morning as boys went for their first day at school, they both want to go home, and to be honest we do too. We have the dilema of the eldest schooling as he would be taking his GCSE next year so we could mess his life up big time, also if we dont fulfill the visa requirements (WTR) we could be sent home in 9 months and still mess the lad up with his schooling!! It cost us so much to get here, but everything is still going against us, still waiting on money transfer HiFX COCKED UP!! nearly 2 weeks since I ordered it and it managed to get here then got sent back!
Things seem way more expensive than we thought, and we DID research, feeling really low so wont say anymore, but am in a dilema to know what too do, wait and hope things get better or go home now???
one month really isn't very long, and it has been winter..... but is there anything at all that is a positive for you? if not, maybe it's not for you

but back to the original post, what a great story, like ours but yours is with kids It was not plain sailing for us as Neil found it so hard to get work, but he stuck it out and now we feel it's our home here til we get very old - or even beyond . Nothing is perfect, but for us (and the OP) it's pretty blimmin good

talking of kids, erm, actually I just have to go to separate two of our dogs who clearly have not watched the Dog Whisperer our fluffly kids

PS Bolton1 - where in Bolton were you, if you were?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:58 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

So good to read your update bolton1 It certainly sound like you've embraced life in NZ ......very best wishes for the future & good luck with the house build, you've got an exciting Christmas to look forward to!
B x
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:04 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Big hugs.....know what you're going through to some extent, remember well the heartache and 'sick' feeling that seems to interfere with being able to decide what to do for the best......feel free to pm me if it will help.... B x
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

What as fab read Bolton. Was lovely to read something 'upbeat' on here for a change

Am really pleased that things are going good for you and you have settled well. But i havent forgiven you for sitting on my head!!!!!

Haha

Psycho xx
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julie

So when we come in January can we expect an invite to your new house?

Hi Jan n Neil

Why did you ask where in Bolton are they from because we live in Tyldesley. So where are you from.

Hi Psychopandy

I sent you a private message did you get it. I take it it was a good move to Tauranga.

June
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hiya June
Course you'll be invited - thats if it ever gets going with all the rain we have had lately
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great update bolton1. Really glad for you that all seems to be going well for you and your family. It's really nice to read about the increased time you get to spend with your family too.

I know some people will disagree but I totally get what you say about living in NZ and not feeling like you need that annual overseas holiday (or two or three for some people). I enjoy travelling but it can be stressful too. I know some people in NZ don't have a choice due to low wages, but I didn't ever crave my holidays like I do here in the UK. Sure we all like some time off but if you are lucky enough to have a great lifestyle, you don't need the overseas holidays all the time (occasionally will suffice for me )
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:06 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, this is just what I needed, we have been here for just a month, and today we have been looking at the cost to ship us and our stuff back to the UK, none of us (me Allan and 2 boys 13 and nearly 16) have settled, dont know what it is, dont really feel to homesick and have a lovely rental here in Snells beach looking out on a beautiful sea view. All in tears this morning as boys went for their first day at school, they both want to go home, and to be honest we do too.
We worked on getting our girls into school as quickly as we could. Emigrating is all negative up to you fly out, goodbyes, stopping clubs and schools, losing friends and contacts (as it seems). To balance you HAVE to start the new positive stuff as soon as you can, new friends/schools/clubs will all start helping straight away...
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Hi Julie

So when we come in January can we expect an invite to your new house?

Hi Jan n Neil

Why did you ask where in Bolton are they from because we live in Tyldesley. So where are you from.

Hi Psychopandy

I sent you a private message did you get it. I take it it was a good move to Tauranga.

June
I lived in Westhoughton for 20 or so years, though I was not born there. Neil spent most of his life in Warrington.

Jan
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I lived in Westhoughton for 20 or so years, though I was not born there. Neil spent most of his life in Warrington.

Jan
Hi Jan
We were down the road at 4 lane ends !! and my area office was based in Warrington at Gemini Park - very handy for Christmas shopping !! nightmare roundabouts though !! I still don't know why they call people from Westhoughton cowyeds though !
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
What as fab read Bolton. Was lovely to read something 'upbeat' on here for a change

Am really pleased that things are going good for you and you have settled well. But i havent forgiven you for sitting on my head!!!!!

Haha

Psycho xx
Your head was just on the floor - methinks it was when you lay there because you were so overcome by my lulu impression !!! hope to catch up soon now you are close by x
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bolton1
Hi Jan
We were down the road at 4 lane ends !! and my area office was based in Warrington at Gemini Park - very handy for Christmas shopping !! nightmare roundabouts though !! I still don't know why they call people from Westhoughton cowyeds though !
cos there is a local tale:

A Westhoughton farmer got one of his cow's head stuck in a fence. Instead of cutting the bars to free the cow he thought that the best thing to do was cut the cow's head off

Even the school tie has cow heads all over it

Hence "Kayed" (in the local accent)

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.