British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   NZ Update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/)
-   -   we're off... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/were-off-659567/)

Stoof Mar 16th 2010 1:49 am

we're off...

short version:

still love nz, don't want to live here, we're going home…

longer version:

we weren't pushed from uk, we were pulled to nz

we prepared-
  • between us we spent 6+ months in nz
  • we were unhappy in our house in the uk, so sold and moved into rented to make sure we hadnt decided to emigrate cos we hated our home
  • spent a year living on a tight budget (saving over third of our monthly income) to make sure we could do it if needed

we applied under SMC and got selected and processed swiftly, without jobs to go to.

we arrived Jun 09, OH had cracking job by July, and moved into a nice rental when our container arrived August.

We knew a few weeks in that we didn't want to be here, but made the decision to stay longer to make sure. We've done our time now and have just booked our flights - 8 weeks and counting!

The only thing we couldn't research or check out really was how it would be to live here… and for us, the distance and separation from our family, friends and everything that we love about the uk is just something we can't and don't want to live with OR get used to (the 'helpful' advice some friends here have given!)

We have a good network of friends here (including OH best mate from junior school!!) but for us its not enough.

Our 3 year old has been desperately unhappy nearly all the time we've been here, and that has been tough - specially given she was one of the main reasons we decided to come!

It has of course cost a small fortune (which we dont have), and the prospect of again giving up good jobs and heading into the unknown with a couple of suitcases and not a lot else IS a bit scary, but hey, we managed coming this way, and at least going back we'll be a bit more familiar with stuff and have family and friends around too!

85% of jobs in OH's industry are in Akl, which is why we're here rather than elsewhere… for a while we wondered if we may have been happier further south- our favourite places in NZ are all SI, but we concluded that it wasn't our surroundings that made us want to go home-it's stuff that wouldn't change, wherever we were here.

we don't really have any regrets- once we'd pondered maybe giving nz a try, the die was already cast i think, and we wouldn't have settled elsewhere until we'd tried it… BUT we did both give up cracking jobs (my dream one actually) and with hindsight, maybe asking for break rather than handing notice in may have been sensible - mind, we WERE coming here for good, so it didn't seem important then…

anyway, thats enough of my rambling! prob wont be posting much for a while as there's quite a lot to sort out, not least an 18day old baby! Just wanted to thank so many of you for your help and support over the last few years - BEVS of course, but many more of you too… and special thanks to SimonME and Vitals who have even helped in RL! :wub:

right, i hear a hungry baby…

good luck to those yet to make the move, and for those here already - we're full of admiration for those of you that make it work, and hope those that are unhappy are able to get home too…

Am Loolah Mar 16th 2010 3:44 am

Re: we're off...

Goodness, I'm surprised! I had no idea.:(

It certainly sounds like you've given it a good try and if it's not for you, it's not for you. I'm sure with a newborn baby too you'll really be missing old friends and family.

Good luck wherever you end up and keep us posted.:thumbup:

Him and Me Mar 16th 2010 4:04 am

Stoof,

Good luck with the move back home, at least you gave it a go, so no regrets or what if's! ;)

Pull of family/friends :wub: is a biggy for most of us who move over here, i left all mine behind in the west midlands and even though it's only been 2 months since we left them i've had some hard days when i just wanted to see my mum and hug her :(

Hope everything goes smoothly and you get the best welcome home on your return :thumbsup:

Persephone Mar 16th 2010 10:22 pm

Sorry to hear NZ just isn't right for you. As you said, you don't know how much the distance from friends and family is going to affect you until you actually make the move on a permanent basis. I've never been that close to my family geographically so it's been fairly easy for me to cope, so faranyway. Even though emigrating is tough financially at least you have tried and it's not for you. Better than spending your life wondering 'what if' or regretting not doing it when you had the chance.
Think of it as having been a big adventure and how excited everyone back in the UK will be to see you all back with the new baby Stoof [will she be a dual citizen having been born here then?]:thumbup:
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on once you're back:D
Sue xx

RobDon Mar 17th 2010 3:54 am

Awww Stoof,
So sorry it hasnt worked our for you all. :(

Good luck with the move back and dont be a stranger to BE. ;)

bdclayton Mar 17th 2010 4:35 am

Good luck with the move back to the UK
NZ is not for everybody
I know what you mean about giving your job up in the UK
especially if its a job you enjoy
and the money soon melts away down here
All the best to both you and your family.:
fingerscrossed:

Dewb09 Mar 17th 2010 6:39 am

Wow that was a real eyeopener. Sorry NZ didnt work out for you you sound like you have given it a good go and as others have said no regrets now.

The homesickness is the one thing I am dreading as you just cant predict how it will affect you :(

The very best of luck with making the move back to the UK and thanks for your post.

Dewb x

simonmarkellis Mar 17th 2010 9:39 am

Ahhh Jen... so sad to hear that it hasn't worked out for you and John and the family! I wish you all the very best for the future wherever it may take you and whatever you end up doing...

best wishes

Simon

Stoof Mar 22nd 2010 8:31 am

aw… thanks all… got a busy few weeks coming up, but really can't wait to get home now… looking forward to a classic cumbrian summer… (must remember to pack the waterproofs!)

Stoof Mar 22nd 2010 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8425311)
Sorry to hear NZ just isn't right for you. As you said, you don't know how much the distance from friends and family is going to affect you until you actually make the move on a permanent basis. I've never been that close to my family geographically so it's been fairly easy for me to cope, so faranyway. Even though emigrating is tough financially at least you have tried and it's not for you. Better than spending your life wondering 'what if' or regretting not doing it when you had the chance.
Think of it as having been a big adventure and how excited everyone back in the UK will be to see you all back with the new baby Stoof [will she be a dual citizen having been born here then?]:thumbup:
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on once you're back:D
Sue xx

yep - baby kiwi, but british by descent, so just cost us a small fortune in passports!

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 25th 2010 10:35 pm

Sorry to hear this Stoof but I'm not surprised. I hope we will get to see you before you head back ;):wub:

Jan n Neil Mar 26th 2010 9:18 am

you gave it a go, good luck :thumbsup:

Neil

crumpy10 Mar 28th 2010 5:09 pm

Well done on giving it a fair wack.

Good luck, and best wishes:thumbsup:

Anna :D

bevissa65 Mar 28th 2010 9:50 pm

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you here. Hope you find what you need in UK. Good luck for the future :thumbsup: Bevissa

cleverchap Mar 29th 2010 10:33 am

You can always hold your head high and proudly say you gave it a go. Many people wouldn't have had the courage to get on the plane so well done for making it this far and all the best for the future where ever you end up.:thumbsup: