Wellington revisited

Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Nick Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wellington revisited

Second stint in Wellington for me. First time 10 years ago with my wife and two primary school aged children. Nearly stayed but family illness called us home.

Now divorced and children completing their higher education in the UK, back here on another contract with IRD with thoughts of staying permanently if things work out.

Wellington doesn't seem to have changed much in the intervening years and is still to me a very attractive place to live and work - despite the weather! Kiwis still friendly and approachable. Some downsides inevitably - mainly the exchange rate if you want to buy the Kiwi!

But different being here without my family and despite having a network of friends from our earlier time here, missing my kids and UK friends. So hoping to meet some expat Brits. I had never realised that there was such a well set up network - probably because I didn't look. So I've learnt something.

Taking a lease in February on a house in Johnsonville where we previously lived and working out of the Asteron building opposite the station. But still very much in settling in mode despite knowing the city fairly well. Weather most unWelly like at the moment.

Anyway, v happy to be part of the forum.

Nick
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington revisited

Welcome back! The weather is most unWelly at the minute, loving it! Is it true that there's a gym and stuff for staff in the Asteron? It looks really nice from the outside.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Not sure about the gym but it is certainly v nice for a govt office. Back in the UK I worked in Ernst & Youngs flagship office at London Bridge but the accommodation here for the worker bees is better. I think the IRD is a bit embarrassed about occupying such a nice building - must have been a good deal!!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nick
Have left NZ but my last rental was in Khandallah (next door to Johnsonville). Never did find a decent coffee in Johnsonville so just wanted to suggest Cafe Villa in Ngaio if you were looking for a decent cafe at all. I always found the Johnsonville Mall a bit depressing but the big Countdown there is not bad for shopping.
Enjoy the summer.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Can see what you mean about the mall but it has its uses. Khandallah is nice but expensive.

Fantastic weather atm in any event. Can't ever remember feeling hot on Wellington before and looking for shade!!