Waffly update

Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waffly update

I've been quiet but lurking since our fact finding tour earlier in the year. We're still progressing things slowly, I passed another exam for my new career yesterday so I'm halfway there now. This means I can start talking to the governing body in NZ to start putting together my equivalence evidence so I can register with them if/when we make it over.

Despite the fact we still love our house nothing has changed here to make it more likely that we'll stay in the UK than go. We're closer to some big decisions being made by other people that are outside our control and that will influence that final decision very heavily so we'll see how they go before doing anything irreversible.

We met up with some great people when we were over, notably Snap Shot who drove quite a long way to chat with us over lunch, and Shc4me who gave us some of his valuable time to talk pensions and life in NZ when we were in Christchurch. I've had to visit parents a lot more recently as their health is ever more fragile. We've done the driving away from relatives houses knowing it's potentially the last time we'll ever see them and it's heart rending but they are all still supportive of the move if we make it.

Husband is talking to a few companies but the exciting news is that we might be able to move to NZ with him being employed by a company that has both UK and NZ branches. This would be amazing as we could wait until we had firm SMC visas before emigrating rather than have to move out and hope to goodness we got SMC visas rather than sent packing at the end of a temp working visa period.

If that doesn't happen it looks like Christchurch or Wellington offer the most job opportunities outside Auckland (too expensive on the housing front). We liked Canterbury and Waikato best but the jobs in the Waikato would be really boring for husband and that's not something I can ask him him to try and deal with on top of all the other stuff that emigrating raises.

So, a bit of a pointless post really but I wanted to check in and say we're plodding slowly along and making steady progress. I'm going to start compiling paperwork soon, things like full detail birth certificates and evidence that we live together. We're both cleared and on the government register as being safe to work with vulnerable groups so police checks shouldn't take too long once we've been picked and been given an ITA. I've started a file with print outs of relevant documentation, sticky notes and colour tabs so it is starting to feel more like to might really happen now.

My main hope is that they don't change the age limit or procedure too drastically over the next 12-18 months.

The main con for moving is the cost of housing but, if things work out how we hoping they will, that should be something we can overcome.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waffly update

hope it all works out for you. Re the time limit, I am assuming you are talking about once you have submitted the ITA and are awaiting their decision. ITA has a time limit to submit of 4 months
Old Jul 10th 2014, 10:55 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome.

Emigrating ? It's just a long holiday really....................

(There's no tongue in cheek icon, I'm just pulling your leg !)
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SnapShot - you mean it won't be one long holiday! good to read you have work but I'm sorry the commute is such a killer. Our commute is 1hr15mins at each end of the day right now and it's something we'd like to change if we can emigrate.

Thanks for moving the thread. As I'm not in NZ I didn't know if it was appropriate to post here or not.

Time limit was indeed the one associated with being given an ITA and the. Having to put all the evidence together for it. I know people on here have been worried and had trouble pulling it all together before the deadline.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 10:40 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with all your (running around like a blue a**ed fly) preparations.

I didn't move the thread, btw, a moderator would have done that.

Don't worry about posting in the NZ thread, it's not specific to the location of the contributor.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

I have my fly at the ready....

Old Nov 16th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not much on the moving front but I wanted to publicly state what an amazing man my Dad is. He was admitted to hospital just over a week ago and we all had the call to travel to see him. After five anxious days he was strong enough to undergo emergency surgery. Whilst he was in theatre at 11pm at night my mother took unwell and I ended up having to do intensive care for her with support from nurses visiting the house four times a day. When we visited my Dad a few days later, with me pushing mother in a wheelchair, one of the first things he said, from underneath tubes and beeping monitors, was that we all had to grasp every opportunity, live life to the fullest and what was I doing to make the NZ dream happen. We were both in tears.
Every time I see him I know it's for potentially the last time and reminded why he is my hero.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 6:13 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear about your parents, hopefully both will improve and they will get to see your dream come true.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 6:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sorry to read that about your parents. Seeing those you love go through the mill or be ill is totally horrible . No two ways about that.

Take care of you first and you take care of them. You only have them once. They will not come again & despite what they may say they will really prefer you close for these days. That is why so many of us end up doing the mercy flights. To be in the right place at the right time. It is all a matter of love .

New Zealand isn't going anywhere & the age limit is not likely to change any time soon.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your parents will be better soon! What a great man your dad is to say these things. He is supporting you until his last breath.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sadly we're racing towards my parents final days and the NZ age limit at the same rate. Mr Hazelnut and I only have 3yrs left before we're too old which means I think we will end up losing them very close to when we move or have moved.

Thank-you for the messages of support.
Old May 4th 2015, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Posting again as I have a need to feel I'm making progress. All four parents are still with us (much to everyone's pleasant surprise!) and in full support of us going and have even said we'll be in trouble if we don't make every attempt to move. My mother has asked if some of her and Dad's ashes can be taken to NZ and spread there as it's a dream they had when younger but never managed to realize due to family holding them back. I have amazing parents and inlaws

MrHazelnut has everything almost in place to register with the relevant NZ professional body (another couple of weeks to go) and his skills are still very much in demand as well as still being on the long term skills shortage list. We hope to be able to have SMC visas before we move rather than having to risk short term work visas and potentially being turned down. My career change certification is going slower than I'd hoped but is still progressing well and should be complete within the next six months.

We've had two companies out to do an initial review and quote for moving us lock, stock and barrel and we now face the dilemma of discovering we probably need to find another £10-£15,000 to replace all the smallholding equipment we've spent 20+ years accruing as the import standards for hygiene are so high we probably can't take what we have with us. I'm now in direct contact with the AA Tech and MPI to see what, if anything I can do. If we need to replace it all we do and it might be an opportunity to buy new equipment that will see us into retirement but it's not a cost we'd factored into initial spreadsheets.

Documentation to support EOI and then ITA is now in its own folder with tick boxes increasingly ticked. UK pension statements are with us and MrH is already fully paid up and I'm investigating whether I can pay the last 2yrs contributions I need to reach full pension as a one off payment before we go. Knowing we have fully paid up pensions to transfer is reassuring at our ages

Animals are all up to date on necessary vaccinations and parasite control so will just need the last month procedures done once in quarantine. They've also all been checked by my vet who has experience of traveling livestock to NZ and passed as, 'will find it hard but will be OK' with regard to the long and difficult journey. Our vet has recommended a transport company for the cats and warned us off another.

Life laundry is ongoing but we've reduced possessions by about a third. What we do still have is some empty furniture as we need a 40' container whether we take the furniture or not and I think we can sell it for more in NZ that we could get for it here which will help offset moving costs for the stuff we want to keep. House DIY to bring it up to standards for selling quickly and easily are ongoing but going well - magnolia paint all the way

Keeping everything crossed and hoping we'll be in NZ or very close to it before the end of 2015
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Updating before this comes an 'annual' update

Where are we now?

Since finding out my current career is dead in the water in NZ with practically zero chance of a job (compulsory redundancies going on over there) I now have half of one new qualification and all of a professional level, related qualification that will allow me to practice a totally different, new career in NZ. Just need to pass last assessment in late Feb to early March and I'll be good for equivalence standards and should be able to gain insurance in new, self employed role

MrH has worked hard and is now formally registered here in a way that means he can transfer to the professional register for his job role in NZ very easily. Jobs are being discussed

Life laundry is complete, lots has gone as we decided not to keep quite a lot of stuff regardless of what happens. The remaining possessions are divided into those we'll get rid of if the much desired SMC visas come through and what we'll take with us. From start to finish we'll have got rid of nearly 40% of what we owned but much of it would have been compulsory fumigation and expensive to ship. Once we added the costs of that to the second hand value of the objects it was equivalent to the replacement cost in NZ so we've already ditched or will sell as we move out of current house. We will be selling current house and moving on regardless of whether we gain visas or not

Animals are all up to date with vaccinations, all renewed recently. Vet has passed them all as fit to travel if we make the journey. I've been doing a lot of additional behavioural training with them so they aren't as freaked out by the travel as they might have been. Hope to start physical fittening soon, one of the cats is Mr Plumpy Fatbum and he'll cope better with the stress if he's a bit more lean and lithe. I'm not sure he'll be convinced about doing his keep fit exercises but I'm working hard to lose weight and gain fitness before medicals so he can too

We're reasonably confident which moving company we'll use. We like the only one that has previous experience of moving horse related gear. All the others looked terrified, took over six weeks to give us a quote and didn't seem to know anything about the regulations and fumigation whereas the company that we like have moved horses and their gear multiple times before. They are also the only one not to give our details to loads of other companies who promptly plagued us with daily phone calls and emails.

Parents are still with me but teetering on the edge of nursing/hospice care. There has been a lot of tears but they are still swearing at me and waving their walking sticks in a threatening manner if I talk about not trying for NZ. I am *incredibly* lucky to have such supportive family, especially given their end of life stage. I've set up some amazing friends who will visit so I can Skype chat to parents which helps and we now have systems in place so I can manage their affairs (and shopping) from anywhere on the planet.

Hopefully we'll be in a position to submit EOI in March of this year with the aim to move out as soon as we can.

Even if this doesn't work out and we don't get visas or hate it over there the extended preparation has produced some unexpected and very beneficial experiences and life changes that will work for us wherever we end up.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Updating for my own sanity really. I'm now fully qualified in my new career and, if all goes well, will hand my notice in at current job to go self employed and start building my portfolio within the next 2-3 weeks.

MrH is now all professionally registered and, due to that, has a formal job offer in place. We're just waiting on the necessary paperwork to come through from the employer.

Possessions are being cleaned and sorted as and when we can. We'll be moving into rented accommodation within the next few weeks as we've also had an offer on the house that we've accepted. Please keep your that the sale goes smoothly. We decided to sell up and move regardless of the outcome of the visa application process as our fact finding tour showed us how unhappy we had become where we are. Speaking to other people on here we realised a move within the UK was both possible and essential if we couldn't gain visas for NZ.

I've honoured my mother's wishes and have a small scatter box with some of her ashes in and all the necessary paperwork so I can take it to NZ, even if we only manage another holiday trip, to grant her lifelong dream of being over there. It really helped to know this was possible when the funeral was being organised and I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for this forum. Organising long term care for my Dad is a work in progress but is going as well as these things ever can.

Now we have the formal job offer we have 220 points so EOI will be going in as soon as. Then there's the scary prospect of medicals to come, that's our main fear hurdle.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

UktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the update and well done for getting this far.

You seem very organised and have done a similar thing to ourselves in that you have broke it all down into small steps. That makes the lists seem longer!! but in my view easier!

Depending on your job and once your SMC ITA is completed and submitted you could apply for working visas to get over and let the SMC tick along in the background, we did this if you look at my time line. Just an option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.