British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   NZ Update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/)
-   -   Two Months In... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nz-update-146/two-months-862034/)

karen87 Jul 18th 2015 9:53 pm

Two Months In...

Hi everybody, so we're almost two months in now! We arrived at AKL Int on 23rd May 2015, and have been staying with my partners sister, her husband, and two children in Bombay (10 km from Pukekohe) since we arrived.

We came out to NZ from the UK on 12 month WHV, as we're both 28 and 29, and decided it was now or never that we were going to give NZ a go. Our intention was to come here and gauge whether we'd be able to make a life here and look at job prospects in each of our previous occupations (Lab Technician and Contaminated Land Environmental Consultant), as we weren't having any NZ job interest when we were based in the UK. If all went well, our intention was to go for residency via the SMC visa, as with a job offer we'd have > 140 points. In our current situation today, we only have 125.

We came out here with some money saved, and have purchased a car since our arrival. However, we have been applying for suitable jobs, contacting potential employers through LinkedIn, and e-mailing consultancies/laboratories, but we've yet to have any luck. Job hunting at the best of times is hard on your confidence and motivation, let alone after moving countries, and feeling homesickness/depressed at two months has surprised us both. I'm hoping perhaps that other forum users have been in the same situation as us, and could share your experience, positive or negative. Right now, we're stuck between deciding on how long to do we continue applying for jobs and trying to make contacts, before our money dwindles and the generosity of my partners family runs out, and we are forced to return to the UK.

Sorry if this update is a bit doom and gloom! However, on a positive note, we are so glad that we made the decision to come out here and try and see what our life could potentially be. We've already had a massive eye opener to the lifestyle we can envisage for ourselves, and have been enjoying NZ day to day life with my partners family, although I weep a little every time we go food shopping! If we could secure jobs in our previous fields of employment, and secure a longer term visa, either SMC or a Temporary Work Visa, we'd be very happy I think, but it's the unknown of will we get a job offer and will we be granted a different visa, and at the moment that is kicking our confidence and motivation. Anyway, that's where we are two months in; very glad we decided to give it a go, but feeling unsure about what the future holds and how long we should keep trying for.

UktoNZ2016 Sep 29th 2015 7:39 pm

Re: Two Months In...

Stay strong keep in there and get the spirits high.

Keep looking at the reasons why you's moved and apply for any jobs in the meantime till you get what you's want.

Just my tuppence!!

karen87 Sep 29th 2015 7:45 pm

Thank you!

I should have probably done a further update actually because things have improved! Moved to Rotorua since this post as my partner secured a job here. I've still had no luck with paid work, but am doing some volunteering now and am applying for jobs and contacting everybody in my field that I can find via LinkedIn and Google searches, so hopefully the networking will pay off for me eventually!

Living in Rotorua is great so far, so much to do on our doorstep, and you get over the smell! We've managed to find a really nice place to rent (although there is a shortage of decent rentals in Rotorua so that was a bit stressful!), but we're here now and just making the best of it, and have started the first steps of our residency visa application.

UktoNZ2016 Sep 29th 2015 8:42 pm

That's brilliant news.

It all pays off in the end. Or so I'm led to believe!

RobDon Sep 30th 2015 4:54 am

Originally Posted by karen87 (Post 11760961)
Thank you!

I should have probably done a further update actually because things have improved! Moved to Rotorua since this post as my partner secured a job here. I've still had no luck with paid work, but am doing some volunteering now and am applying for jobs and contacting everybody in my field that I can find via LinkedIn and Google searches, so hopefully the networking will pay off for me eventually!

Living in Rotorua is great so far, so much to do on our doorstep, and you get over the smell! We've managed to find a really nice place to rent (although there is a shortage of decent rentals in Rotorua so that was a bit stressful!), but we're here now and just making the best of it, and have started the first steps of our residency visa application.

Hi Karen,
Living in Rotorua you will find, certainly where employment is concerned, its not what you know but who! :o
What area are you looking for work in?

MrsFychan Oct 4th 2015 8:14 pm

good luck on your on personal job search, being here over 3 years I know it can be difficult and depressing, especially with the cost of living but least you are keeping yourself busy. fingers crossed something comes up soon

karen87 Oct 4th 2015 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 11761242)
Hi Karen,
Living in Rotorua you will find, certainly where employment is concerned, its not what you know but who! :o
What area are you looking for work in?

I'm definitely getting that feeling that its 'who you know' through talking to people so far! I should be putting myself out there a lot more, but my confidence has taken a hit career-wise since moving here. I didn't so much expect I'd walk into a job, but I thought it would be easier. Never mind, you adapt to the new situation!

I've been looking in Rotorua and Tauranga as Hamilton and Taupo would be too far.

karen87 Oct 4th 2015 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11764611)
good luck on your on personal job search, being here over 3 years I know it can be difficult and depressing, especially with the cost of living but least you are keeping yourself busy. fingers crossed something comes up soon

Thank you :) Just got to stay positive and keep up the search/networking and eventually I hope that will pay off! Fortunately cost of living in Rotorua is reasonable, at least for us, but a second income wouldn't go amiss!

RobClubley Oct 5th 2015 7:15 am

It took my wife quite a while to find work in Wellington 10 years ago when we arrived. Lots of "Not enough Kiwi experience" and snap judgements by potential employers.
"Volunteering should help you start to get some contacts at least. Good luck and keep up the search!

RobDon Oct 7th 2015 6:14 am

What kind of work are you looking for?

karen87 Oct 8th 2015 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11764838)
It took my wife quite a while to find work in Wellington 10 years ago when we arrived. Lots of "Not enough Kiwi experience" and snap judgements by potential employers.
"Volunteering should help you start to get some contacts at least. Good luck and keep up the search!

Thank you :) Yes, I'm hoping the volunteering will open some doors. If not, at least I'm being productive and meeting new people, which is good for the mind and soul!

karen87 Oct 8th 2015 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 11766582)
What kind of work are you looking for?

Laboratory Technician or Field Assistant type work as I used to work as a Biology Lab Tech at a secondary school in the UK and had assisted in the field collecting samples etc.

jmh Oct 10th 2015 1:26 am

Originally Posted by karen87 (Post 11768005)
Laboratory Technician or Field Assistant type work as I used to work as a Biology Lab Tech at a secondary school in the UK and had assisted in the field collecting samples etc.

You're competing with a lot of migrants who don't have English as a first language, so that is a key strength for you compared to the others in that market. It's worth bearing that in mind when looking for jobs to apply for.