Our story yr 1

Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light
Default Our story yr 1

We left snowy North Yorkshire bound for sunny Sumner,Christchurch on Feb 14th 210. It was emotional.We moved into an old weatherboard rental for 3 mths we’d secured back in the UK. We had fab views of Sumner beach which was a 5min walk away. We had a gondola which lead us to our neighbours whom we soon got to know.Our landlord was a cool dude who was on the committee & would skateboard to school. Infact everyone would either skateboard or scooter to school, even the grannies ! The school fair had real fairground rides & candy floss
The day after we picked up our dog & took him to the beach for a swim in the sea ,it was great to be here. A month later & our son started at Sumner school, made friends quickly & loved every minute of it. The only drama we had was a tsunami warning at the end of the month with an all day beach ban.
March /April came with a 6wk heat wave, what a welcome..and we began to explore Sumner & surroundings.We couldn’t believe how beautiful everywhere was & how friendly everyone was.
We took a trip to Akaroa & explored Diamond harbour & Governors bay. Our son joined a local youth club & began surfing lessons. 10 weeks later & half of our belongings slowly sailed into Lyttleton Harbour along with our car. We went to see a fab band ‘Emerald & Greenstone’ an Irish/Maori fuse to celebrate at the Harbour lights. Also began going to the local Farmers market in Lyttleton which was only a 10 min scenic drive through Evans pass.
May & we moved into a longer 2yr rental with that all important heat pump(also on the sunnier hill) Again great views on Scarborough hill overlooking the beach, the sea & Sumner. Beautiful walk to Taylor's mistake & beyond. Happy dog as we were close to the reserve too.
July & we had friends visit including an old friend from the UK. Also met some new people from this site. We began to feel more & more at home. I joined the NZ potters Association & we celebrated our Ist NZ wedding Anniversary whilst our son was skiing at Mt Hutt with school.
September jolted us but the Earthquake although a bit scary, didn’t affect us much in Sumner & we weren’t too concerned for our future.
Our Son was making lots of friends now & enjoyed spring camp at Hamner springs. He was walking everywhere, school youth club friends houses & played out like never before in the UK, he grew a lot. There was such a safe feeling & community spirit in Sumner which we loved.
In October we received extensions on our visas(long term business) & we continued to meet new people. We found our forever home & planned to buy it once our UK property sold.
We went to ‘Band together for Christchurch’ in Hagley park & met John Key! We went to Jan & Neils BBQ (top guys) I Joined a local Tai Chi group .Our son began Karate & joined a cricket club. He was also enjoying squash & won a principals award for a short story he wrote.
As we hit November(Spring) I realised it was the first time I didn’t feel the need to get away. We visited a High School in Christchurch & I made an Xmas tree out of driftwood.
Dec/Jan bought us luck with the sale of our UK property & another UK friend visited. Lots of beach time bbq’s and long walks. We were very much looking forward to having our own house.
February saw the BIG ONE which shook us up big style.