Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

One year in: can I get off this roller coaster please?

One year in: can I get off this roller coaster please?

Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Red face One year in: can I get off this roller coaster please?

Here is the full summary blog http://ryding2nz.com/2014/04/14/new-...-our-1st-year/ but let me paraphrase:

It's been an awful year. I almost like where I have landed up, but I haven't much liked my route to this point.

I moved here alone while oH fished up the UK house sale. It was delayed two months. It was hard work setting up from scratch in a new country with no one at all that I knew.

4 days after hubby arrived, (June) mum called to tell me she had been diagnosed with cancer just after I left (April) but had been afraid to tell me. Within two weeks it went from operable to terminal and she died before my plane back arrived. I spent July organising and attending the funeral.

The job wasn't exactly what I expected it to be; well it's hard to know what to expect when you are recruited from abroad. I finally managed to find another one at Christmas time, starting huge learning curve number 2.

November 2013 my sister gave birth to twin girls. I haven't yet been back and been able to meet them. She's had a tough time of it without mum. Also this month I had to give up triathlon and running completely, due to knee issues that will eventually culminate in a knee replacement. I had been on team GB till I left. This was tough news.

January dad came over for a month. He loved it, and now understands why we did it, but is not interested in moving over here. He has a new woman. That's super hard to deal with but I am glad that he's happy.

We now have our own home again, a large circle of acquaintances that we may soon be able to call friends, we know lots of people but not enough time has passed yet to say its the same as friends back home.

Any regrets? Lots. Would we move back? I'm not a quitter, it's way to early to even think about that, but no, we think we will stay. Life is for living, and we only get one of them.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:32 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year in: can I get off this roller coaster please?

you certainly did have a rough start but looks like things are at long last looking up for you.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you have dealt with so much, what an awful start to your new life. Well done on not quitting when so many more would have. I hope life gets much better in your second year in NZ, you certainly deserve it
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

They do MrsBrightside7. They do.

Onward and upwards M_and_M . You never know what a future holds but at least you are making the most of today.